Serenade beds -- Yay or nay?

This is a follow-up to my previous post which contained general questions about the Serenade. There were conflicting reports regarding the comfort of the beds. Some said they were really hard (and painful as a result) and still others (one who preferred soft mattresses) said that it was fine.

I have trouble tolerating "firm" (aka hard as a rock) mattresses and it was reported that egg crate mattress toppers are no longer available, and that the best that RCI could do was foam pads.

I would like to hear from others (particularly those with a preference or need for a soft mattress) as to how the beds were for you. And apparently RCI had just recently replaced the beds on the Serenade, so recent experiences would be the most accurate.

Thanks in advance!

This is a follow-up to my previous post which contained general questions about the Serenade. There were conflicting reports regarding the comfort of the beds. Some said they were really hard (and painful as a result) and still others (one who preferred soft mattresses) said that it was fine.

I have trouble tolerating "firm" (aka hard as a rock) mattresses and it was reported that egg crate mattress toppers are no longer available, and that the best that RCI could do was foam pads.

I would like to hear from others (particularly those with a preference or need for a soft mattress) as to how the beds were for you. And apparently RCI had just recently replaced the beds on the Serenade, so recent experiences would be the most accurate.

Thanks in advance!

We just (literally) got off the Serenade and the beds were awful!!! We were on deck 10 balcony and I did complain. We've cruised over (30+) times with RCCL and this was the FIRST time I had an issue with the bed. They are in the process of changing mattresses so I guess our room didn't make the "list" for our cruise. Our room stewart tried everything on a full sailing. By day 3 put of 10 nights, a new mattress appreared b/c (as we were told) a passenger departed. I guess I missed or didn't squeak loud enough after the first night and demand a new mattress. They were already passed out with other complaints. Long story short , the new mattress made a WORLD of difference. I have a low back problem so it was not good at first. Hope this helps.

Two years ago, we, along with several others in our group, did a B2B on Serenade. I ordered toppers for everyone, but since I was the only one in the group who had to change rooms for the second leg, I forgot to order one for my new room.

The mattress in the new room was hard as a rock! That was a Grand Suite, too (for what it's worth.........;))

I asked my steward if he would get me a topper. He got me THREE! :D So much better.

I was back on Serenade again last April. I made sure to order the topper before the cruise this time!

Just have your TA order one or call the Special Services department to order it.

I just got off Serenade on Monday. We were in a JS. We had a topper on the bed and I found it quite comfortable. I agree with TigerCruizin, the pillows were flat, hotel type. Not too bad but I had to sleep with 2 pillows when I usually only use 1. But the toppers, it seems, are what they are putting on all the beds. I saw them being changed out on disembarkation day. My guess is both complaints of hard mattresses and ease of flipping them vs. the mattress might be the reason. But anyway, I did not find the mattress hard, and I pulled my back early in the cruise. So a hard mattress would have done me in. Hope this helps.