O's flexibility with early debarkation request?

greydog

Hello. New to O after many Celebrity trips.

Considering Papeete to Los Angeles 18-day in May 2017. Due to my teaching schedule conflict, anyone have experience with O's flexibility allowing early debark, in this case at Nawiliwili HI, before final cruise leg to LA?

I understand that air deviation fee, air surcharge would be involved.

AS far as PVSA(Jones act?), the next stop is Los Angeles, so I'm thinking no barrier on that angle.

I'll let my TA do the 'leg work' but wanted to check this board for thoughts on what I might expect from O. Thanks in advance.

Hello. New to O after many Celebrity trips.

Considering Papeete to Los Angeles 18-day in May 2017. Due to my teaching schedule conflict, anyone have experience with O's flexibility allowing early debark, in this case at Nawiliwili HI, before final cruise leg to LA?

I understand that air deviation fee, air surcharge would be involved.

AS far as PVSA(Jones act?), the next stop is Los Angeles, so I'm thinking no barrier on that angle.

I'll let my TA do the 'leg work' but wanted to check this board for thoughts on what I might expect from O. Thanks in advance.

I was on a cruise from Tahiti to LA via Hawaii. and a couple got off in Maui our first stop. No adjustment in fare or discount. Your correct about the Jones act... as long as you get off at the first Hawaiian port, the second would not work because the ship would be deemed taking passengers between US ports which is not allowed. Let O know well in advance.

I do this in reverse and get off earily in Tahiti in Moorea rather than go to Papeetee.

Its a political pay-ola where a very small group sends a very large check to politicians to keep a monopoly the result there are only 3 shipping lines that can ship or transfer passengers between Hawaii and the Mainland or between islands.......Matson, Horizon and Young bro...... H

As Hawaiidan mentioned, you would have to leave the ship at the first United States port of call which, in your case, would mean Hilo on the Big Island. You would miss seeing Oahu, Maui and Kauai. Do you really want to miss all of those islands? The idea of a 10-day cruise in French Polynesia might indeed be a better fit.

Could you do the 10 r/t PPT to PPT May 9th to 19th ?

It would save paying for extra days that you will not be onboard

just a thought

The need to debark at 1st Hawaii port would be deal-killer for me - love the islands after two prior short visits. Thanks for the clarification.

BTW, 5 years ago we were among 80 pax on 10-day HI from San Diego (embark Ensenada) who had all checked luggage left behind by Royal Carib. For 5-day crossing the 80 of us had only walk-on bag supplies. All were given gym-club tees and $200 pp spend but ships stores don't stock underwear, socks, etc. A few had left meds in luggage. We pack differently ever since.

Saw the May-9 trip but I assume I'd have to be 1-2 days earlier departure from Atlanta and that's stretching even earlier against end-semester schedule.

If I can wrangle summer teaching duty to July semester instead of June, the full 18-day trip from Papeete is possible.

Thanks for helping clarify my options. HAPPY CRUISING

What is PVSA?

It is an American law that governs passenger ships and passenger.

"Passenger Services Vessels Act "

Basically foreign flagged vessels can't transport passengers between two American ports without stopping in an foreign distant port. This rule that says closed loop cruises in Alaska and to Hawaii (from California) have to stop in a foreign port.

Reading about the PVSA -- how can Oceania pick up passengers in NYC, sail North and the first port is Boston? There are a couple more US ports prior to reaching the first foreign port of Halifax.

Can anyone explain this as it happens every Fall?

Reading about the PVSA -- how can Oceania pick up passengers in NYC, sail North and the first port is Boston? There are a couple more US ports prior to reaching the first foreign port of Halifax.

It's not the stops/visits to ports.

It's passengers getting on and then off entirely... using the ship that way for basic transportation (not just temporary sightseeing stops).

It's not the stops/visits to ports.

It's passengers getting on and then off entirely... using the ship that way for basic transportation (not just temporary sightseeing stops).

Understand - thank you.

Are they embarking or disembarking Passengers in Boston or other US ports before Halifax??

The need to debark at 1st Hawaii port would be deal-killer for me - love the islands after two prior short visits. Thanks for the clarification.

If you are able to have a little flexibility in when you can get away during the year, you might consider flying to Honolulu and catching the Pride of America (think of it only as a floating hotel) for a week touring Hawaii. When it returns to Honolulu (always on Saturdays), go to the airport and catch the Hawaiian non-stop to Papeete that afternoon (only a six-hour flight). Board the Paul Gauguin when you arrive and do a week cruise of Tahiti and the Society Islands. How you return home is your choice. In those two weeks you will have quite a vacation and not the long stretches at sea the Papeete to west coast itinerary would give you. We counted seventeen week-long Paul Gauguin cruises in 2017 that would mesh with the Pride of America cruises. Just an idea we wanted to share...

If you are able to have a little flexibility in when you can get away during the year, you might consider flying to Honolulu and catching the Pride of America (think of it only as a floating hotel) for a week touring Hawaii. When it returns to Honolulu (always on Saturdays), go to the airport and catch the Hawaiian non-stop to Papeete that afternoon (only a six-hour flight). Board the Paul Gauguin when you arrive and do a week cruise of Tahiti and the Society Islands. How you return home is your choice. In those two weeks you will have quite a vacation and not the long stretches at sea the Papeete to west coast itinerary would give you. We counted seventeen week-long Paul Gauguin cruises in 2017 that would mesh with the Pride of America cruises. Just an idea we wanted to share...

Thanks for informing about such an alternative to compare. Would not have thought about HI to Papeete connection. We do like sea days too.:)

That is if you want to spend a week on a NCL ship. To me it is a third rate hotel. Good luck if you want to, but do not compare it to Oceania.

...the Pride of America (think of it only as a floating hotel)...

That is if you want to spend a week on a NCL ship. To me it is a third rate hotel. Good luck if you want to, but do not compare it to Oceania.

We did mention to think of the POA only as a floating hotel. We would no more compare it to Oceania than we would compare the Paul Gauguin to Oceania.