Carnival prices just not cutting it .....

tallnthensome

For every Carnival cruiser looking elsewhere' date=' there's someone from those cruise lines looking at Carnival. [/quote']Probably no truer words spoken. I hear the same complaints "over there" as well. I've always enjoyed the atmosphere on all my cruises. Well, maybe except my Holland America MS. Noordam Baltic/Russia cruise where a graveyard had more life in it than on that ship! :eek::D

You seem to be living in yesterday's world. I won't challenge you on this sites penetration, but pretty much EVERYONE I know has a social media account. And those in the conversation hop on these topics like wildfire.

Totally agree on the social media thing, but at the end of the day nothing changes. The cruise lines will do their thing and the passengers will cruise on the line(s) that make them happy.

If you only sail from Miami to the Caribbean, you will have limited choices. However, MSC is a big cruise line, with ships in many regions of the world including Northern Europe, South America, Asia, and the Mediterranean.

If you're set on only sailing only in the Caribbean, MSC does have other ships with some very interesting and out of the ordinary itineraries sailing from non-US ports. Check them out! [emoji3]

then your adding airfare, which would totally defeat the purpose of cost. Adding another minimum $1000 for 4 people flying is a concern.

Totally agree on the social media thing' date=' but at the end of the day nothing changes. [b']The cruise lines will do their thing and the passengers will cruise on the line(s) that make them happy.[/b]

And that was my point in my first point. Do what makes you happy. I wouldn't force myself to book any vacation where I had to hold my nose when paying for it. To me that doesn't make any sense at all.

I don't get why folks are offended that Carnival isn't always coming out cheaper. There's no rules that says they need to always price themselves lower than competitors. Plus I know enough from looking myself that this has been the case here and there, depending on when you want to travel and from where, that Carnival hasn't always come out the most affordable.

They usually do for me; however, in the Summer months which is when we typically travel. And I'm fine with that. I know I can find less expensive deals on other lines if I shift when we go on cruises. But for the Summer, nothing I've wanted to do has been less. Not even with drink packages thrown in.

This is really much fuss about nothing. I don't mind saying I love Carnival. I also don't mind that others don't. But why book a cruise then start a thread bitching about the price. ES or not, if it bothered me that much, I would take the $50pp hit and book something later. Or have the credit transferred to someone else and be done with it. There is always a choice. Starting with the first one you make in how you choose to spend your own money.

Totally agree on the social media thing' date=' but at the end of the day nothing changes. The cruise lines will do their thing and the passengers will cruise on the line(s) that make them happy.[/quote']

There I will certainly disagree. People pounce when they share and hear there are bargains here or there and can be found here or there, and also get these perks included.

Not as much to do on the Divina for kids. The Water slide is weak compared to both NCL and Carnivals water parks (on bigger ships mostly), no putt putt golf, and the other items are up charged.

I've been reading a lot about their Kids program on MSC, and I agree that it's not as extensive. But we've taken cruises with far less elaborate kids programs and had an absolutely fantastic time. It would be nice to have a big water park like on Carnival or NCL's newest ships, but they are not worth the extra $1,500 that it would've cost to sail on those ships.

With that said, there are some things about the kids program on MSC that intrigue me for their enrichment value, like the foreign language classes as well as the mini-chef classes for kids on Fantastica accommodations (which we have).

All in all, we are taking the Divina with an open mind and realistic expectations. And even if things like the F1 simulator, 3D movie theater, and bowling cost extra, it won't be such a big deal because we saved so much to start with. [emoji3]

I've been reading a lot about their Kids program on MSC, and I agree that it's not as extensive. But we've taken cruises with far less elaborate kids programs and had an absolutely fantastic time. It would be nice to have a big water park like on Carnival or NCL's newest ships, but they are not worth the extra $1,500 that it would've cost to sail on those ships.

With that said, there are some things about the kids program on MSC that intrigue me for their enrichment value, like the foreign language classes as well as the mini-chef classes for kids on Fantastica accommodations (which we have).

All in all, we are taking the Divina with an open mind and realistic expectations. And even if things like the F1 simulator, 3D movie theater, and bowling cost extra, it won't be such a big deal because we saved so much to start with. [emoji3]

good, MSC is a good cruise line and the expectations should be realistic.

Must admit haven't sailed at the Fantastica level, but it would be the minimum on MSC. Good choice. Not terribly fond of this practice by

MSC but it allows great fares like the one you are doing.

Kids sail free is nice too.

then your adding airfare, which would totally defeat the purpose of cost. Adding another minimum $1000 for 4 people flying is a concern.

It's true that airfare is a concern and I do understand that adding airfare to a cruise vacation can make it prohibitively costly for many.

But for those who do have the desire to fly to a new port of embarkation in order to explore new destinations it makes sense to take advantage of a more affordable cruise and spend the balance on airfare. There's a big world out there outside of Nassau and Cozumel. There are plenty of other options, not only on MSC, but on most other cruise lines.

Carnival offers a great, convenient, and affordable product which makes cruising accessible for a lot of people who otherwise would never experience this type of vacation, but let's face it, majority of their fleet is contained in the Caribbean performing very repetitive itineraries. I understand sticking with the same itineraries and cruise line because of convenience, preference or because of a very restricted budget, but I don't understand not venturing beyond that when the difference in total cost isn't as significant.

Edited by Tapi

We wanted to go to Bermuda without paying for airfare and sailings from Florida are VERY rare.

It came down to 7 night MSC Divina, interior for 3. Versus 8 night Carnival Victory interior for 3.

The Victory was $2329 with our VIFP rate discount; no other perks or add ons.

MSC was $1375 and with Status match we are getting two free specialty dinners and I was able to buy an 18 voucher drink package for $84. For a newer and larger ship with more perks I will give up one day of vacation for $1000 savings.

For comparative purposes the Carnival itinerary is definitely better offering much more port time. But it is also a Thurs - Fri itinerary requiring 7 days off of work; MSC is a Sat thru Sat requiring only 5 days off.

But

When looking for a short getaway in the fall of 2017 Carnival, on the Victory, was many hundreds of dollars less than any similar trip on RCI or NCL, and with better ports (IMO).

So when people say Carnival is cheaper; not always. It pays to shop around. Sometimes you can find a competitor with more amenities or lower price, or both, depending where you want to go and when you want to go. Sometimes Carnival is less. It really will depend on your situation.

That said, word on MSC is getting out. They are offering the best prices in the Caribbean and their new ships are going to be show stoppers. I say in two years MSC won't be bargain priced anymore as more and more Americans find out about them.

Edited by LMaxwell

Carnival offers a great, convenient, and affordable product which makes cruising accessible for a lot of people who otherwise would never experience this type of vacation, but let's face it, majority of their fleet is contained in the Caribbean performing very repetitive itineraries. I understand sticking with the same itineraries and cruise line because of convenience, preference or because of a very restricted budget, but I don't understand not venturing beyond that when the difference in total cost isn't as significant.
This is what I see and believe as well. I browse people's signatures and past cruise experiences. Some have had 30+ cruises on Carnival and only Carnival. One I saw had been on the same ship 16 times doing the exact same ports on it like 6 times. :confused::eek: There's just no way I would do that but it's your money and your cruise. How you could ignore the other lines, ships, and itineraries is somewhat mind blowing when the cost may be equal or less in some instances. Are people just too scared to venture elseware outside their comfort zone? I can't imagine being on the same ship 16 times doing the same cruise 6 times.

most of our cruises have been on Ncl the problem I have with them now you need to look at all of the extra charges you are going to have on board. We just booked the carnival magic for next year when you see all of the places to eat that are included in the cost of the cruise NCL is charging for these on their ships now. Also I look for the itinerary NCL needs to add some new ports.

There I will certainly disagree. People pounce when they share and hear there are bargains here or there and can be found here or there, and also get these perks included.

Well they must be pouncing on Carnival cruises then because prices, in general, have gone up on Carnival.

The ultimate proof is in the pudding. Here we are in a thread that started about complaints of Carnivals pricing. That's not because Carnival is hurting to attract passengers.

Other than Carnival and their shareholders no one is really happy about it. You and your groupies don't like it because despite the fact you tell us how overpriced and poorly run Carnival is, their cruises continue to sell... and sell well.

Those of us that enjoy Carnival don't like it because we have to pay more.

Is that an interline fare? Every time I've priced MSC it has come out much higher than that.

Their fares are legit and available to everyone.

Once you have them do a status match (they match to other cruise lines, hotels, etc) you get anywhere from 5% to 20% off your booking; sometimes even an additional OBC kicker.

On the same Bermuda cruise we are going on, my in laws booked an interior cabin for 2 and with 5% discount their grand total came out to like $980 with taxes and fees. for a 7 night cruise. That's pretty low bucks right there. They were running deals recently for 7 night caribbean $999 Balcony for 2; Kids Sail free; Interiors from 369 pp, etc.

OP, I agree with you. We have 3 cruises booked, 2 with NCL and one with Carnival.

Our NCL cruises were $499pp with $175 obc on each cruise from TA for an inside deck 13 for 7 nights with drink package included, just had to pay gratuities.

Our Carnival cruise was $579pp with a $50obc on deck 8 for 7 nights...no drink package.

Tell me which ones are cheaper. It was a no brainer. I would cancel the Carnival cruise but it is booked ES.

I will say that the price of all 3 cruises have gone up since we booked in Jan and Feb.

I don't consider it a no brainer. By the time you pay gratuities on your free drink package and their higher daily gratuities, it's not that different. If one wants serenity, on NCL you must buy it or put up with what's happening. Also Epic has no outside decks to wander (as I understand from reading)

You and your groupies don't like it because despite the fact you tell us how overpriced and poorly run Carnival is, their cruises continue to sell... and sell well.

That's because him and his groupies greatly underestimate how many more like me are out there. Petty cutbacks and price increases mean nothing to me as long as Carnival continues to give me the vacation experience they have for the past 25 years.

For the period of time we cruise each year, Carnival is by far the best value for us. We've compared prices and the others are more expensive- alot more expensive. To each his own-- we are fine with our costs and the vacation we get from it.

Edited by NHNEV2003

That's because him and his groupies greatly underestimate how many more like me are out there. Petty cutbacks and price increases mean nothing to me as long as Carnival continues to give me the vacation experience they have for the past 25 years.

Technically they are not the same as 25 years ago. So the only thing the same is a steel hull and engine taking you to islands. Now for more money. Don't be Carnival blind. The only thing missing is the word "brilliant" a couple of times.

Edited by golfb4cruzing

I don't consider it a no brainer. By the time you pay gratuities on your free drink package and their higher daily gratuities, it's not that different. If one wants serenity, on NCL you must buy it or put up with what's happening. Also Epic has no outside decks to wander (as I understand from reading)
I don't know about that .... when I got two free drink packages it included the gratuities .... only later did they add the service charge to it. If you like to drink a lot then the package is worth several hundred dollars regardless of the service charge. Not a drinker?.... not worth it then most likely. He, the other poster, also got more on-board credit as well. Still leans towards NCL comparatively speaking.

We've sailed with MSC and didn't enjoy it quite as much as our Carnival cruises, but for the money it was a steal of a deal at the time. They were just starting to sail the Caribbean at the time we cruised with them. With Carnival's rising prices and cutbacks, MSC is looking more attractive to me all the time though. True, their Caribbean itineraries are limited, but once you've seen most of the Caribbean that isn't such a big deal. I will say the food wasn't as varied on the lone MSC cruise we did as it is on Carnival ships, but that was a few years ago, and MSC was just breaking into and learning the American market. Perhaps they have made some changes since then. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt there. The ship itself was gorgeous. The cabin was acceptable. Our room steward was one of the best we've ever had. The entertainment was superior to Carnival and far more varied... but then, what cruise line's isn't? Other than rising prices and simultaneous cutbacks, entertainment is my biggest gripe with Carnival these days. I must say though, that Carnival remains my preferred cruise line, and probably will as long as I can afford to cruise with them. Who knows how much longer that will be. Not very, it appears.

We've sailed with MSC and didn't enjoy it quite as much as our Carnival cruises, but for the money it was a steal of a deal at the time. They were just starting to sail the Caribbean at the time we cruised with them. With Carnival's rising prices and cutbacks, MSC is looking more attractive to me all the time though. True, their Caribbean itineraries are limited, but once you've seen most of the Caribbean that isn't such a big deal. I will say the food wasn't as varied on the lone MSC cruise we did as it is on Carnival ships, but that was a few years ago, and MSC was just breaking into and learning the American market.
I've read in the past couple days that MSC is taking a much more serious approach to the US market with their new Seaside for late next year. It will have more American themed entertainment and dining. I think it will be the ship that really makes a statement in Miami and will open more eyes and opportunities.

We've sailed with MSC and didn't enjoy it quite as much as our Carnival cruises, but for the money it was a steal of a deal at the time. They were just starting to sail the Caribbean at the time we cruised with them. With Carnival's rising prices and cutbacks, MSC is looking more attractive to me all the time though. True, their Caribbean itineraries are limited, but once you've seen most of the Caribbean that isn't such a big deal. I will say the food wasn't as varied on the lone MSC cruise we did as it is on Carnival ships, but that was a few years ago, and MSC was just breaking into and learning the American market. Perhaps they have made some changes since then. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt there. The ship itself was gorgeous. The cabin was acceptable. Our room steward was one of the best we've ever had. The entertainment was superior to Carnival and far more varied... but then, what cruise line's isn't? Other than rising prices and simultaneous cutbacks, entertainment is my biggest gripe with Carnival these days. I must say though, that Carnival remains my preferred cruise line, and probably will as long as I can afford to cruise with them. Who knows how much longer that will be. Not very, it appears.

I would agree with this view of the Divina for sure. It did not best our best carnival cruises but for the price it was pretty darn good.

I've read in the past couple days that MSC is taking a much more serious approach to the US market with their new Seaside for late next year. It will have more American themed entertainment and dining. I think it will be the ship that really makes a statement in Miami and will open more eyes and opportunities.

It certainly looks appealing for families, unfortunately the kids will be 2 years older and may not want all the bells and whistles, of course I might ;) nevertheless it will be a ship to try.

Technically they are not the same as 25 years ago. So the only thing the same is a steel hull and engine taking you to islands. Now for more money. Don't be Carnival blind. The only thing missing is the word "brilliant" a couple of times.

Ok although this isn't a why I sail only Carnival thread, let me try. Everyone has their reasons for choosing a particular cruise line(s). Atmosphere is huge on my list. As I said before I tried RCL and NCL. Enjoyed both of them very much. Good food great staff and wonderful shows but I felt like I was at a funeral most of the time. For 25 years Carnival has lived up to my expectations on what I'm looking for. So I'll stick to my statement.

And I promise you, whether it's price or something else that drives someone to look elsewhere, I'm happy for them. I'm not the one paying for their cruise experience.

Edited by Podna's

We wanted to go to Bermuda without paying for airfare and sailings from Florida are VERY rare.

It came down to 7 night MSC Divina, interior for 3. Versus 8 night Carnival Victory interior for 3.

The Victory was $2329 with our VIFP rate discount; no other perks or add ons.

MSC was $1375 and with Status match we are getting two free specialty dinners and I was able to buy an 18 voucher drink package for $84. For a newer and larger ship with more perks I will give up one day of vacation for $1000 savings.

For comparative purposes the Carnival itinerary is definitely better offering much more port time. But it is also a Thurs - Fri itinerary requiring 7 days off of work; MSC is a Sat thru Sat requiring only 5 days off.

But

When looking for a short getaway in the fall of 2017 Carnival, on the Victory, was many hundreds of dollars less than any similar trip on RCI or NCL, and with better ports (IMO).

So when people say Carnival is cheaper; not always. It pays to shop around. Sometimes you can find a competitor with more amenities or lower price, or both, depending where you want to go and when you want to go. Sometimes Carnival is less. It really will depend on your situation.

That said, word on MSC is getting out. They are offering the best prices in the Caribbean and their new ships are going to be show stoppers. I say in two years MSC won't be bargain priced anymore as more and more Americans find out about them.

Exactly, I've had a nice run of Carnival being cheaper, and it will probably happen again. I factor in transport costs to/from cruise, and other charges that you know will need to be factored in and go from there. I still have my eye on Carnival for something in August/September, just have to wait and see how the prices/costs weigh in at that time.

I believe it's indeed being built for the American market. Even Divina has had to make some changes dealing with foods. I was on Opera a few years ago, very Italian, but a beautiful ship if you like that type of thing. Stage acts were so above other ships.