Just off Anthem...random tips!

My family of 6 (3 outside staterooms on deck 3) just got off the Anthem today. We are not diamond members so we cruised like the masses. We loved it overall. My daughter almost cried when we got off...she is 13 : )

Here are my random tips:

*On and off the ship was effortless

*We had 3 staterooms and brought on 6 bottles of wine, a case of water, an a 12 pack of soda. The case of water and 12 pack of soda were in a suitcase

*The Seaplex is fantastic for the kids from little guys to teens after dark

*gluten-free/peanut free cookies by Udi's can be found in the cafe promenade in a cookie jar behind the counter : ) Individually wrapped too!

*Izumi and Jamie's are FANTASTIC. And if you want that delish brownie sundae from the dessert menu they will give it to you for free at lunch time! Just go and ask for it. Plus Mommy got an espresso while she wanted : )--and it is PEANUT FREE!

*Pizza in Sorrento's is great for a snack and my kids loved it

*Dined in Grande, Silk, Chic, Solar Bistro, American Icon-all were very good. I was the only one with soda package which I stated but they never charged us for the other people that ordered soda. I like Solar Bistro the best...very healthy

*Tutti salad bar is alive and well in Chic on Sea Days

*Service is still alive on RC as well. When my son asked for his 10th brownie of the cruise and Chic did not have it at lunch time they went to Jamie's without us asking and brought it to him : )

*Cleve at the Sunshine bar makes THE BEST frozen Mojito and is generous with the wine pours. I always tipped an extra buck in cash and they knew my name and my drink

*Hang in Vintages to rub elbows with the Hotel Director. He knows his wine and when the Captain strolled thru he was teaching my son a cork trick...stopped the captain...introduced us and then took a pic on his phone and had it made for us by the photographers. It was delivered to our stateroom as was a bottle of wine and choc covered strawberries to all 3 of our staterooms! We spent a few nights in there and I am now officially a wine snob.

*When you Tender the line is crazy long from like 9:30-10:30. We went at 10:50 and no line. If you must leave at that time check both tender lines because one was WAY shorter than the other

*Buffet lunch on Coco was quite good

*Vintages has a wine station where you can try all the fine wines in 2, 4 or 6 oz pours. Loved this...you just put your card or wow band up to the scanner and voila! Sadly the card reader was malfunctioning most of the time so I would ask the bartender for whatever I wanted to try. Very nice to be able to try a small pour from a $100+ bottle of wine.

*Last couple nights all bottles of wine were 30% off so that CAYMUS was mine! (evil laughter). Was able to take it right away and enjoy with dinner

*can you tell I like wine?

*The fitness center spin classes were AMAZING. I had only spun once before and I went all 4 sea days and felt fab

*Fitness center was crowded during the usual busy times but it was manageable and state of the art

*Indoor pool was key for the colder days so plan on being able to swim or hang in your bathing suit for the entire cruise

*WOW bands....we loved having them except for one small issue which is just an annoyance. If you purchase a soda package onboard ..you still need your sea pass card with the sticker. Not sure about the other packages. I never had my sea pass card and they just gave me the soda regardless

*Windjammer was crowded during the usual hours but the food was good and hot. The waffles were like bricks first thing in the morning prob cause they had been sitting under the heat lamps waiting for the WJ to open. Get the second plate of waffles...lol. Also on that note the butter is also very cold if you go at 7am so picture cold brick waffle spread with very cold butter. Later the butter is warmer. I have a 7 year old boy that only wanted waffles so this was a daily battle...lol.

*Made to order omelets were very good but if you go during primetime be happy to wait at least 20 mins OR do yourself a favor and GO EARLY.

*Deck 5 was a lovely place to step out to spend a precious few moments alone to listen to the ocean in peace (if you do not have a balcony)

*Early cup of coffee and a nice bran muffin...6am-6:30am Cafe Promenade.

*Do not wait in the endless Guest services line. Get up at 6:30am and have NO LINE. I promise ....best way to go. OR do the opposite and got at 10pm.

*Seaplex waivers for bumper cars, roller skating, etc. The first time a parent has to go up and sign a waiver...this can take a while. Go with them the first time or they will come right back to you

*Northstar only does 360 degrees around on the first and last sea days

*You can standby for the Northstar but you could be there for an hour and it is cold right now....so dress accordingly for that. Don't lose your cool when you wait for an hour and then it gets too windy and they shut her down. It happens and it did happen!

*Large party (5 or more) you NEED to have your dining ressies lined up before you sail. We were never able to change ours because everything was booked--prob because were were a party of 6. What we were able to do was show up at 7:15 for a 7:45 ressie and get seated right away. By that time the larger parties that were seated earlier were done.

*Loads of photo ops with dreamwork characters...no real lines for that

*Make your Ifly and Northstar reservations PRIOR to the cruise. Everything was booked

*My girls loved Abe the cruise director late night/early morning show on the TV...apparently he is pretty funny : )

I am sure I will think of more later.

Small annoyances:

*free style machines were out of service or not calibrated correctly frequently

*Xbox controllers were not working and that was annoying to the kids because we were on a Spring break trip with lots of kids wanting to play

*Technology issues Royal iPad IQ pads were finicky and the Bionic bar was having issues; couple of out of service elevators

*THE CABIN DOORS DO NOT SHUT ON THEIR OWN...YOU HAVE TO PULL THEM CLOSED. My teenage daughters cabin door was always ajar (eye roll). Disturbing in the morning when I would go to the gym and see they slept all night with their door open.

We had a great time on this cruise...the ship is GORGEOUS and it certainly did Wow us. The service 95% was excellent. Were some people having a bad day or in the wrong line of work? Sure.. but the vast majority were great.

I have taken about 15 or so cruises..mostly with Royal but also sailed on Celebrity, MSC, and Disney.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for sharing. Just wondering how busy Solarium Bistro was? Ive booked my dining on Ovation for Silk/Chic/Grande/American for each of out 14 nights just to get times that suit (we like to eat between 6 and 7), but would like to try Solarium a few times and no option to book on cruise planner. Thanks.

*Izumi and Jamie's are FANTASTIC. And if you want that delish brownie sundae from the dessert menu they will give it to you for free at lunch time! Just go and ask for it. Plus Mommy got an espresso while she wanted : )--and it is PEANUT FREE!

Thanks for your review. What dessert menu are the complimentary delish brownie sundaes at lunchtime from?

Dear andrew2346,

WELCOME back to New Jersey and HAPPY EASYTER A.D. 2016!!!!!!!

Thanks for your review too.

Now one two part question..

1.)

WHere was the Embarkation ( Served/Seated) Lunch held?

1a.)

Was Garlic available? Yes as on the Pizza discs etc..?

My family of 6 (3 outside staterooms on deck 3) just got off the Anthem today. We are not diamond members so we cruised like the masses. We loved it overall. My daughter almost cried when we got off...she is 13 : )

Here are my random tips:

*On and off the ship was effortless

*We had 3 staterooms and brought on 6 bottles of wine, a case of water, an a 12 pack of soda. The case of water and 12 pack of soda were in a suitcase

*The Seaplex is fantastic for the kids from little guys to teens after dark

*gluten-free/peanut free cookies by Udi's can be found in the cafe promenade in a cookie jar behind the counter : ) Individually wrapped too!

*Dined in Grande, Silk, Chic, Solar Bistro, American Icon-all were very good. I was the only one with soda package which I stated but they never charged us for the other people that ordered soda. I like Solar Bistro the best...very healthy

*Tutti salad bar is alive and well in Chic on Sea Days

*Service is still alive on RC as well. When my son asked for his 10th brownie of the cruise and Chic did not have it at lunch time they went to Jamie's without us asking and brought it to him : )

*Cleve at the Sunshine bar makes THE BEST frozen Mojito and is generous with the wine pours. I always tipped an extra buck in cash and they knew my name and my drink

*Hang in Vintages to rub elbows with the Hotel Director. He knows his wine and when the Captain strolled thru he was teaching my son a cork trick...stopped the captain...introduced us and then took a pic on his phone and had it made for us by the photographers. It was delivered to our stateroom as was a bottle of wine and choc covered strawberries to all 3 of our staterooms! We spent a few nights in there and I am now officially a wine snob.

*When you Tender the line is crazy long from like 9:30-10:30. We went at 10:50 and no line. If you must leave at that time check both tender lines because one was WAY shorter than the other

*Buffet lunch on Coco was quite good

*Vintages has a wine station where you can try all the fine wines in 2, 4 or 6 oz pours. Loved this...you just put your card or wow band up to the scanner and voila! Sadly the card reader was malfunctioning most of the time so I would ask the bartender for whatever I wanted to try. Very nice to be able to try a small pour from a $100+ bottle of wine.

*Last couple nights all bottles of wine were 30% off so that CAYMUS was mine! (evil laughter). Was able to take it right away and enjoy with dinner

*can you tell I like wine?

*The fitness center spin classes were AMAZING. I had only spun once before and I went all 4 sea days and felt fab

*Fitness center was crowded during the usual busy times but it was manageable and state of the art

*Indoor pool was key for the colder days so plan on being able to swim or hang in your bathing suit for the entire cruise

*WOW bands....we loved having them except for one small issue which is just an annoyance. If you purchase a soda package onboard ..you still need your sea pass card with the sticker. Not sure about the other packages. I never had my sea pass card and they just gave me the soda regardless

*Windjammer was crowded during the usual hours but the food was good and hot. The waffles were like bricks first thing in the morning prob cause they had been sitting under the heat lamps waiting for the WJ to open. Get the second plate of waffles...lol. Also on that note the butter is also very cold if you go at 7am so picture cold brick waffle spread with very cold butter. Later the butter is warmer. I have a 7 year old boy that only wanted waffles so this was a daily battle...lol.

*Made to order omelets were very good but if you go during primetime be happy to wait at least 20 mins OR do yourself a favor and GO EARLY.

*Deck 5 was a lovely place to step out to spend a precious few moments alone to listen to the ocean in peace (if you do not have a balcony)

*Early cup of coffee and a nice bran muffin...6am-6:30am Cafe Promenade.

*Do not wait in the endless Guest services line. Get up at 6:30am and have NO LINE. I promise ....best way to go. OR do the opposite and got at 10pm.

*Seaplex waivers for bumper cars, roller skating, etc. The first time a parent has to go up and sign a waiver...this can take a while. Go with them the first time or they will come right back to you

*Northstar only does 360 degrees around on the first and last sea days

*You can standby for the Northstar but you could be there for an hour and it is cold right now....so dress accordingly for that. Don't lose your cool when you wait for an hour and then it gets too windy and they shut her down. It happens and it did happen!

*Large party (5 or more) you NEED to have your dining ressies lined up before you sail. We were never able to change ours because everything was booked--prob because were were a party of 6. What we were able to do was show up at 7:15 for a 7:45 ressie and get seated right away. By that time the larger parties that were seated earlier were done.

*Loads of photo ops with dreamwork characters...no real lines for that

*Make your Ifly and Northstar reservations PRIOR to the cruise. Everything was booked

*My girls loved Abe the cruise director late night/early morning show on the TV...apparently he is pretty funny : )

I am sure I will think of more later.

Small annoyances:

*free style machines were out of service or not calibrated correctly frequently

*Xbox controllers were not working and that was annoying to the kids because we were on a Spring break trip with lots of kids wanting to play

*Technology issues Royal iPad IQ pads were finicky and the Bionic bar was having issues; couple of out of service elevators

*THE CABIN DOORS DO NOT SHUT ON THEIR OWN...YOU HAVE TO PULL THEM CLOSED. My teenage daughters cabin door was always ajar (eye roll). Disturbing in the morning when I would go to the gym and see they slept all night with their door open.

We had a great time on this cruise...the ship is GORGEOUS and it certainly did Wow us. The service 95% was excellent. Were some people having a bad day or in the wrong line of work? Sure.. but the vast majority were great.

I have taken about 15 or so cruises..mostly with Royal but also sailed on Celebrity, MSC, and Disney.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for sharing. Just wondering how busy Solarium Bistro was? Ive booked my dining on Ovation for Silk/Chic/Grande/American for each of out 14 nights just to get times that suit (we like to eat between 6 and 7), but would like to try Solarium a few times and no option to book on cruise planner. Thanks.[/QUOT

Solarium Bistro was one of the places we wanted to eat that we could not get into for an additional night. When you have the chance you should book it but if nobody can book it right now than it isn't like it is sold out..ya know? Thats was my fave! We had 6 people though...if you are only 2 prob not an issue as much.

Edited by andrew2346

Thanks for the info! Is there shampoo and soap in the cabin bathrooms? And was the Adventure Ocean open? I heard it was closed. Thanks so much!!

Shampoo, conditioner, gel and body lotion! Plenty of very nice bars of soap replenished frequently. AO was open with impressive programming although my boys didn't want to go in...UGH lol

Edited by andrew2346

In my past experience Sorrentos has been the best pizza available, basically because you're in the missile of the ocean. Do you think they seem to have figured/improved the formula on Anthem, or do you not really have comparison with the quality on other shops?

I just know some folks seem to think cardboard with canned tomato sauce and government cheese would be better. I don't raise the bar high for Sorrentos but it would be encouraging they've raised their bar.

See my responses below:

Dear andrew2346,

WELCOME back to New Jersey and HAPPY EASYTER A.D. 2016!!!!!!!

Thanks for your review too.

Now one two part question..

1.)

WHere was the Embarkation ( Served/Seated) Lunch held? Cafe 270, WJ, Sorrento's (I think that was it)

1a.)

Was Garlic available? Yes as on the Pizza discs etc..? Not sure about this one

It love great brick oven boutique pizza joints...I appreciate good pizza. It is not terrible pizza. It smells like buttery heaven. It is a bit soggy to be sure but it is much better than frozen! I would not have my best bottle of wine with it but I would certainly eat it if I were hungry or after a night of drinking. Kids LOVED it.

In my past experience Sorrentos has been the best pizza available, basically because you're in the missile of the ocean. Do you think they seem to have figured/improved the formula on Anthem, or do you not really have comparison with the quality on other shops?

I just know some folks seem to think cardboard with canned tomato sauce and government cheese would be better. I don't raise the bar high for Sorrentos but it would be encouraging they've raised their bar.

Did you have long waits for the kid things? Bumper cars, flow rider etc? We have a 6 and an 8 yr old so would love to hear what your 7yr olds favorite things were. Also - do you think boys didn't want to go to kids club because there was too much other stuff to do onboard? Mine generally LOVE to do camp type things with other kids but I'm not so sure how it's going to work out this time!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Sorry to say that we thought the pizza was terrible, very soggy, tasted like raw dough with extra cheese. Carnival has the best pizza IMHO.

But we don't sail to eat pizza, rock climb etc.;) The Anthem did have the WOW factor and is worth a check out at least once.

Thanks for sharing. Just wondering how busy Solarium Bistro was? Ive booked my dining on Ovation for Silk/Chic/Grande/American for each of out 14 nights just to get times that suit (we like to eat between 6 and 7), but would like to try Solarium a few times and no option to book on cruise planner. Thanks.[/QUOT

Solarium Bistro was one of the places we wanted to eat that we could not get into for an additional night. When you have the chance you should book it but if nobody can book it right now than it isn't like it is sold out..ya know? Thats was my fave! We had 6 people though...if you are only 2 prob not an issue as much.

Thanks, will keep an eye out for booking, it's not listed at all yet and booking for comp restaurants only opened a few weeks ago.

Thank you for your great review. I was wondering about one thing however. On the Oasis and Allure you were able to sign all waivers "on line". Is this not possible with the Anthem? Seems it would save a lot of time and aggravation for everyone. Oh, and I would like to know about the coffee also....lol.....I thought I read in someone's review, that they changed brands. :)

The spin bikes had the alligator clips and the cages for your shoes. The other side of the pedal you could clip spin shoes into but I don't know the specific kind of pedal if that is what you are asking. I am not an avid spinner but there were some in the class and they were impressed with the bikes.

Spin question - clips or no? If clips, what kind?

Thanks