Thanksgiving onboard Oasis in 2017 - What to expect?

UMDelt

I'm so excited. After several years of just "talking" about a holiday vacation with both my family and my wife's family, it's happening. (My in-laws and my side of the family both adore each other, so we're all excited about this). No running around southeast Michigan in the COLD, trying to visit every family member in a 12-hour span... Nope, instead our address for this holiday will be the MS Oasis of the Seas.

Okay, for the Cruise Critic question: What can I expect from a Thanksgiving cruise from Royal's end? Thanksgiving is a U.S. holiday, so I suspect Royal won't celebrate as "heavily" as Christmas (a global holiday), but I'm assuming there will be some Thanksgiving twist? Perhaps some turkey, dressing, etc.?

I'd also love to hear from past guests onboard any Royal Caribbean Thanksgiving cruise.

I think you answered your own question here. A turkey option on the dinner menu that night ... that's about it.

What else were you expecting? I'm curious. A Turkey and Pilgrim Jamboree Parade down the Royal Promenade?

What else were you expecting? I'm curious. A Turkey and Pilgrim Jamboree Parade down the Royal Promenade?

HA. Sure, we'll go with that :rolleyes: Coupled with a nightcap served by the Captain (or Staff Captain, but certainly no one below the rank of First Officer) that evening.

UMDelt, We may be joining you on this cruise. Right now, it's between Oasis and Harmony but I'm having a hard time justifying $1000 more for 4 of us to sail on Harmony (same BW balcony cabins, almost same Eastern Itinerary).

Anyway, as you can see from 6 past Thanksgiving cruises in my signature, I LOVE Thanksgiving cruises! ( This year, unfortunately, our cruise ends Thanksgiving morning. :()

While 2017 will be our first Oasis class Thanksgiving sailing, based on our other cruises I would expect either a special "Harvest Feast" menu or 1 or 2 Thanksgiving holiday entrees added to the night's regular menu - definitely turkey and perhaps ham.

While not as good as my home cooking, I don't have to cook or serve or clean up afterwards so I've enjoyed every bite! :D

In addition, Royal usually starts putting up their Christmas decorations that night or the next day. I was disappointed last year when Navigator didn't have the final top piece on the Christmas tree before we disembarked, so the tree wasn't lit up.

If you're doing traditional dining, make sure your family's reservations are linked for dining together.

P.S. Last Thanksgiving, the Activities Director on Navigator (Cuddy) did parade around the ship with a stuffed toy turkey on his head :D. No nightcap though. :(

~ Judy

UMDelt, We may be joining you on this cruise. Right now, it's between Oasis and Harmony but I'm having a hard time justifying $1000 more for 4 of us to sail on Harmony (same BW balcony cabins, almost same Eastern Itinerary).

Same thought on my end too! Couldn't justify it personally, and definitely couldn't convince my family.

I don't have to cook or serve or clean up afterwards so I've enjoyed every bite! :D

Haha, you got it!

Well I Did Some Searching For You ... And Here's the Royal Caribbean Thanksgiving Show You'lll Be Seeing In The Main Theater! (hope I don't ruin things for ya tho!)

Edited by F27TW

We did thanksgiving on the oasis in 2014 and had a fabulous time. They did serve a thanksgiving type meal in thanksgiving day and it was delicious.

Yes there were obviously more families with kids of all ages (including ours) but they were of no bother to us. There's so many things for kids to do on these ships that we barely even saw any of them. I would go without any worry or hesitation. Enjoy!

Well I Did Some Searching For You ... And Here's the Royal Caribbean Thanksgiving Show You'lll Be Seeing In The Main Theater! (hope I don't ruin things for ya tho!)

Haha, you won't let this go, will you? That's okay, keeps me laughin' :p

LOL! Starring "The Royal Caribbean Singers and Dancers"! Yep, you ruined it for us. ;):D

~ Judy

Have not done Thanksgiving on Oasis but have done it on several other RCI ships.

You will have a Thanksgiving dinner aboard, it might be just a Turkey and fixings option added to the menu (what we have usually seen) or it might be a "different" menu (as aboard Freedom last year).

You will probably get to see the start of the Christmas decorating and possibly the ship fully decorated, it varies by ship.

I was looking at Harmony for 2017 but the upcharge for Thanksgiving is too much for us .... I looked at Oasis as well but I am pretty sure that she is in Puerto Rico for Thanksgiving day and we found out from experience a couple of years ago that Puerto Rico is basically closed on Thanksgiving Day so passing on that option for 2017 as well.

...and Football!.
Turkey dinner is about the only "Thanksgiving" tradition I can think of...

The Detroit Lions losing... As a Michigan resident, I can "look forward" to that tradition :D

On the Jewel this past Thanksgiving, we had the turkey and fixings for dinner. They also had dance off between the head chef and a turkey in the Centrum elevators that was fun and a big balloon drop of orange, yellow, red and brown balloons. The next morning, the Christmas tree in the Centrum was up like magic. Those elves worked quickly!

The desserts were pumpkin cheesecake and pecan pie I believe.

Edited by sr4mjc

My family did Thanksgiving on Oasis just this last year (2015). It was a super fun time! Yes, expect tons of large families and lots of kids. We had a wonderful time and it is possible to avoid huge crowds even on a sold out holiday sailing. No issues getting elevators, etc. The Christmas decorations started going up Tuesday and Wednesday before Thanksgiving. There was a Thanksgiving turkey dinner option, and while no pumpkin pie, there was a pumpkin dessert, I can't remember if it was pumpkin creme brulee or cheesecake. There was also an apple pie/cobbler like dessert if I remember.

Thanksgiving on a cruise is wonderful, nobody has to cook or clean up (at least for the cruisers, not so much for the hard working staff). But overall we had a wonderful time! Have fun, and make reservations early!

Have fun, and make reservations early!

Thanks so much for the info! Registrations already made - got a "sandwiched" stateroom (staterooms above and below me to avoid public areas) on the hump! Now for the 600+ day waiting game for 2017 :p