Best cabin for Alaska

just hooked

It depends upon what you wish to see.

We are on a northbound cruise with extended balcony cabins on the starboard side. We want to enjoy the coastline. We selected the extended balcony cabins as they are half covered and half open so we can enjoy them even if it is raining.

Either side is great as what you don't see going up on one side, you will see it going back.

I would even suggest an aft cabin. My other recommendation is an Emerald deck mini suite, which are fully covered on most ships (not sure about the Island or Coral, though). You will want some cover if you are planning on using your balcony in Alaska. While I have had phenomenal luck on my trips to Alaska in terms of weather, you have a good chance of experiencing rain.

Now, we once had an inside cabin in Alaska and it was actually a great cabin. We saved all sorts of money and were able to just go to one of the lounges or public decks to view the amazing scenery. I really didn't feel cheated at all. But I always say, if there is one itinerary where a balcony room is most valuable, it is Alaska.

We will be in an Emerald deck port side mini-suite on our southbound cruise.

Emerald deck --covered mini closest to ocean view cabins

Port side --like the idea of seeing Glacier Bay glaciers from our balcony or sitting in the warmth of the cabin

Mini-suite --love the space and a bathtub

I've done Alaska in an inside and had a fantastic cruise. The best viewing is from the public decks.

Thank you, Thrak! DH and I have an inside booked on Ruby for September as this fit our small budget this year. We have never had an inside cabin on any cruise before and I was a little hesitant about the space. But last year we were on the Ruby in a balcony and really didn't spend much time in the room as there are so many lovely and fun places onboard to watch the sea or landscape go by.

And as another poster put it, "Any cabin is better than my desk at work"!

haha

Cathy

We've done both - usually a cabin on the Dolphin deck - and found great scenic viewing on each cruise. I spent more time topside on the SB cruise only when we were approaching Hubbard glacier, as we were sailing closer to the shore for that portion of the cruise and I wanted to spend time out of the cabin and watching the terrain. Other than that, as others have said, since you are sailing the inside passage you will have land on both sides of you for much of the cruise. We watch the water from Icy Straits into Glacier Bay, as you're very likely to see whale and other critters there. Terrific!

Hi thanks for all your input cabin c238 came up last night so have it on hold now

With only 6 balcony cabins and 2 mini suits available .C238 was a good one to be put back in the mix , any comments about this cabin on the Star Princess.

This is on the 20th August 2016 sailing . We are doing the 7 night off the beaten track land LB7 tour first

Thanks again for your comments

Looking at the ruby princess 2017, first time on princess and want to book an aft vista suite. Have sailed with RCL, but want a change and see glacier bay. What deck is best? Thank you for your suggestions.

Thank you, Thrak! DH and I have an inside booked on Ruby for September as this fit our small budget this year. We have never had an inside cabin on any cruise before and I was a little hesitant about the space. But last year we were on the Ruby in a balcony and really didn't spend much time in the room as there are so many lovely and fun places onboard to watch the sea or landscape go by.

And as another poster put it, "Any cabin is better than my desk at work"!

haha

Cathy

Hi, from Loveland, CO!!!!!!! We are also doing an Alaskan cruise on the Ruby in September. Maybe we are on the same one!

We booked an obstructed view cabin instead of a balcony and used the money we saved for those expensive tours that we wanted to do. Last time we cruised Alaska, we spent more time moving around the decks to get the best views and never really used the balcony!!! But from wherever you are, the views are fantastic.

Pooh

Looking at the ruby princess 2017, first time on princess and want to book an aft vista suite. Have sailed with RCL, but want a change and see glacier bay. What deck is best? Thank you for your suggestions.

Hello Bedford.....we have a Vista Suite booked on the Ruby this June to Alaska and the Dolphin deck is the largest balcony for the Vista Suite. Enjoy.

Judy from SW Florida

Thank you! Successfully changed our room to dolphin deck! Looking back at the deck plans, I see what you're talking about. And it's a corner aft! Now for the time to pass so we can enjoy this vacation! Thank you again!

Thank you! Successfully changed our room to dolphin deck! Looking back at the deck plans, I see what you're talking about. And it's a corner aft! Now for the time to pass so we can enjoy this vacation! Thank you again!

You are more than welcome. Anxious for June to come so we can enjoy our alft suite as well. How long do you have to wait?

Judy in SW Florida