Why so many Blue Cards on Alaska cruises - is it one-and-done?.

Loreni

We loved our HAL cruises in Alaska, especially the Westerdam. We didn't notice there being more senior folk than on Princess. I believe that HAL's itinerary is better, too. We would cruise HAL more frequently but our cruise port is here in San Francisco so Princess offers a nice 10-day that is more convenient.

I think you are right about the east coast vs. west coast cruisers. When we lived on the east coast we went to Europe a lot and also the islands.

Thank you,iceleven,for your input regarding HAL cruises to Alaska.

I will research that fourteen day cruise sailing from Seattle- hoping for 2017,most likely it will be 2018- fingers crossed!

Thank all of you for your insights. We have decided to return to Bermuda this year. We may still visit Alaska someday and probably only once. Right now, based on what I learned here and from talking to people I know, we do not fit into the categories of most of those who cruise Alaska, namely:

1) west coasters who can drive to the port either for their introduction to cruising or for easy access to subsequent cruises,

2) people for whom Alaska is a bucket list destination and who may or may not be avid cruisers,

3) those who are especially moved by the natural beauty of Alaska. Having not been there, I can't say for sure that we would not be in this group; however we have visited the PNW and, while we enjoyed it very much, there are other types of natural beauty that we both prefer, and

4) people who have decided to take only one cruise in their lifetimes and know that it should be an Alaska cruise. If I had only one cruise to take in a lifetime, it would not be Alaska. Alaska would not even be in the top five. Not judging anyone. We all enjoy different things.

Thank you all again!

I think you have stated a lot of generalities. I live in the midwest - not close to either report.

I have cruised many places (Mexico, Pacific Coast, Canada NE, Caribbean, Alaska, Europe) - probably 35 plus cruises..

I never thought I would like Alaska. I only cruised there as we had a free cruise and I never thought I would pay to go to Alaska. I have probably done a dozen or so cruises since then back there. Since you have not been - you are simply guessing. I never expected to like it and I feel in love with it. I prefer Alaska compared to the Caribbean (just as easy for me to get to FL as it is to Vancouver).

Edited by Coral

I, too, like the fact that Princess sails up to AK from San Francisco; it's just a 90 minute train ride from home. Compare that to the 5,6 hour plane ride to FLL to cruise through the Carribean, it's a no-brainer, and a lot cheaper.

I agree. But the close-to-home thing isn't all that keeps me from going back to Alaska. I just love the place, the scenery, the wildlife, the culture, all of it. My very first cruise was to Alaska years back, and I'm about to go again in the fall. On the other hand, I have yet to do a proper Caribbean cruise (more than one island, that is) and I think I can probably wait for that. I guess if we all wanted to go to the same places, the ships would be mighty crowded. :)

We took just one Alaskan cruise, back in 2004 on the Sapphire Princess, but haven't had a chance to go on another one. After that cruise, our next three were the Hawaiian RTs -- all during holiday time, which is definitely not a time you can go on an Alaskan cruise. We were considering going on a checking out colleges road trip a few years ago and combine it with back-to-back one way Alaskan cruises...but hubby decided it would be too much driving. The funny thing is that since this summer, we've gone on several road trips up to northern California (our daughter picked a college in that area).

I didn't pay much attention to how many blue/gold/silver/black cards on our 2004 cruise (it was our second Princess one). I do think that each itinerary that's sailed, there are many who have done one particular one several times. If there wasn't a big demand among repeat and new cruisers for a specific itinerary, I would imagine it would be dropped.

This comes as no surprise to us. For us, our upcoming Alaska cruise is a one time event. This is due to time and money. Going across the country to cruise obviously more expensive. We have several other cruises we intend to enjoy before we start duplicating.

When we go to Alaska next year it will be the third time, but first time on a line other than Princess. We are doing it because:

A) It's my best friend from High School "Bucket List" cruise and her DH refuses to fly, so I invited her to join us.

B) My DH wants to go on the Rocky Mountaineer out of Vancouver, so it's my birthday gift to him (Shush-It's a surprise), and I thought we could do the train trip either before or after an Alaskan cruise.

C) We are going on HAL because I love the Eurodam, and one of the stops is Sitka, which will be a new port for us.

D) I do think 3 times will be enough for us though, so it probably will be "Third Time's the Charm"

I believe that Princess has the best Alasaka itineraries, so why are there so few repeat cruisers on these voyages? I hear an Alaska voyage is one of the best chances to get invited to The Most Traveled lunch, because most passengers are first timers.

I know many people who have cruised to Alaska exactly once. I don't know anyone who has done so more than once. Most say once was either enough or more than enough. A few say it was fantastic (yet tellingly they have not repeated the experience). There will always be a few people who will insist that anything they have spent significant money on is great, otherwise they feel foolish. Keep in mind that many of the people I have spoken to are true nature lovers and most are also extremely well-traveled.

One person told us she preferred cruising Norway to Alaska for beauty. Another said she preferred circling South America for scenic beauty.

One would think that the major population centers around Seattle and Vancouver, combined with last minute discounting, would result in lots of locals that take repeat cruises to Alaska.

We have been considering Alaska for a long time. But there are so many other options for exploring new places as well as the option of returning to our favorite places instead. And only so much time. Would appreciate any advice or insights.

We have cruised Alaska many times and on most have used the Corporate Affiliates booking. Although we are both Platinum, when we book using the Corporate Affiliates we always have a Blue Card. Don't know how many this accounts for, but maybe some. :)

I believe that Princess has the best Alasaka itineraries, so why are there so few repeat cruisers on these voyages? I hear an Alaska voyage is one of the best chances to get invited to The Most Traveled lunch, because most passengers are first timers.

I know many people who have cruised to Alaska exactly once. I don't know anyone who has done so more than once. Most say once was either enough or more than enough. A few say it was fantastic (yet tellingly they have not repeated the experience). There will always be a few people who will insist that anything they have spent significant money on is great, otherwise they feel foolish. Keep in mind that many of the people I have spoken to are true nature lovers and most are also extremely well-traveled.

One person told us she preferred cruising Norway to Alaska for beauty. Another said she preferred circling South America for scenic beauty.

One would think that the major population centers around Seattle and Vancouver, combined with last minute discounting, would result in lots of locals that take repeat cruises to Alaska.

We have been considering Alaska for a long time. But there are so many other options for exploring new places as well as the option of returning to our favorite places instead. And only so much time. Would appreciate any advice or insights.

I have been on many cruises, but only 1 Princess cruise. It was the trip to Alaska, so I had a 'blue' card. I think the large amount of blue cards is an indication of the reputation of the Princess product for Alaska cruises. Many 'experienced' travelers realize that Princess is the ideal choice for this once-in-a-lifetime experience.

For many if not most a cruise is a once in a lifetime event that they save for years. NOT a lifestyle. Alaska is one of those bucket list trips for many.

That's a good point. Those of us lucky enough to cruise repeatedly sometimes forget that one - single - cruise is all some people will ever be able to do.

Last year we did I Circumnavigation of Australia and I was a first surprised at the sheer number of blue cards, I thought "What a silly cruise for your first, 3 days what if they hate it". Then I realized that many were seasoned cruises, just with lines that don't offer this cruise, in fact I don't think anyone else does.

HAL offer a circ Aus, but it doesn't include NZ.

Celebrity offer a back to back that sort of includes both but requires either a flight or a third cruise which adds about 2 weeks (as it doesn't start and finish in the one port. Royal offer similar at times.

Cunard sometimes offer a Circ Aus, but again no NZ.

And as I chatted with more and more people this was indeed the case.

Edited by GUT2407

I live in Washington near Seattle. My husband & I have taken 4 Princess Cruises to Alaska. I'm planning my 5th cruise on Princess to Alaska with a dear friend. I'd love to take a cruise to a warm destination some day, but living near Seattle makes this Alaska Cruise so convenient. I love the entire cruise experience. Alaska is beautiful.