Santorini - Cable Car query

DiamondGirl83

Hello,

I am visiting Santorini in June on an NCL Jade cruise. Is anyone aware of any shore excursions that you don't have to use the cable cars for? I am not good with heights and don't think there's anyway i could use the cable car. I have seen you can ride donkeys but I wouldn't do that as I don't think it's fair especially in the heat. Thanks in advance.

Louise

Hello,

I am visiting Santorini in June on an NCL Jade cruise. Is anyone aware of any shore excursions that you don't have to use the cable cars for? I am not good with heights and don't think there's anyway i could use the cable car. I have seen you can ride donkeys but I wouldn't do that as I don't think it's fair especially in the heat. Thanks in advance.

Louise

You can walk the steps beside the donkeys. I believe there are 580. You might consider the boat to Oia. I believe there is a bus from the boat to Oia.

It is easiest if you take the cable car and just shut your eyes and sit with your back against the sea. You won't see anything. Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

I can't tell from your posting, so maybe you already know this... ANY ship excursion that begins shortly after arrival and involves a bus will skip the cable car to start the excursion. Passengers on ship excursions are tendered to a different location where they get on the buses that then drive up to the top of the caldera. After that process is done, the ship repositions and tenders the remaining non-excursions passengers to the location where the cable car is. I don't recall ever hearing of excursions that return by bus down to the water level, but I suppose there might be some. It seems most of them drop you off up top with a ticket to the cable car to ride down. So if you're on an excursion, you'll likely only have to face your dilemma for the trip back down to the tender boats. The walk down the donkey trail takes 15-20 minutes and isn't awful, assuming you can walk distances. Lots of people do it. I suppose there MIGHT be a few excursions (on longer days in port) where the meeting location to start the excursion is up on the caldera, but I don't recall ever hearing of one.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

It's too bad that NCL tours all seem to end in Fira with the cable car return. I too suffer extreme fear of heights, so I can totally relate to not being able to get on that cable car. But I don't think I could descend the stairs either.

We were on Princess and selected a tour that ended in Fira, but all on-board were given the option of staying in Fira or returning to the tender port we departed from. About half of us stayed on the bus.

But no matter what tour you take, you still have to ascend/descend the caldera. I just closed my eyes until we reached the top. I found it easier to board the bus and stay on the road than think of dangling on a cable car.

I don't see that NCL offers a boat tour to Oia. You could maybe ask at the dock for a boat to Oia and how to get back. Or others may post experience. I know I've read where folks take a boat to Oia but then walk back to Fira.

Good Luck, hope you have a great trip!

Thanks Agabbymama it's nice to know I'm not alone in my fear. I think ncl have a tour to oia but that too ends up at the cable car station. I will ask at the shore excursion desk what I can do when we dock in Santorini. Thanks for the help

Whatever you do, DON'T ride the donkeys. They are abused and very sad. I wouldn't walk, either. You are on the same steps the donkeys use and they may come right next to you. There is also donkey poop on the steps and I have been told they are treacherous and slippery.

Take the cable car and avoid facing the water. Close your eyes and remind yourself you will be there only once in your life (probably) and think how sad it would be to miss it. The view is gorgeous and something to remember always.

Hey Hmstims no way would I use the donkeys, I've seen a few videos and I think it's so cruel to have them going up and down all day especially in the heat.

At this moment in time I am inclined to stay onboard on that day as I really don't think I could stomach that height.

DiamondGirl, I really hope you change your mind, but it's your decision to live with. I don't have a fear of heights so I can't possibly understand, but I will tell you that the top of the island is fairly small so you see the water from almost every point. The small stores are beautiful and the people are very friendly. The whitewashed buildings with blue doors and flowers everywhere are just gorgeous.

Whatever decision you make, I hope you enjoy your trip!

The cable car is a funicular - its attached to the mountain - I'd personally use it rather than the donkeys. A lot more safe. It's been years since I've been to Santotini but I'm sure it hasn't changed that much.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Lucy Jane

We were in Santorini last October. A fellow passenger we met onboard (we shared some private excursions with them) has extreme fear of heights and she later told me that the funicular wasn't as difficult for her as she had anticipated. As Lucy Jane has clarified the "cable car" doesn't hang over land and is more accurately described as a funicular.

I was on Serenade OTS in 2014 when we stopped at Santorini -- there was no repositioning of the ship. The tenders went ashore at the cable car and returned from there. Just FYI in case someone is hoping that happens!

From what I have read the excursions take you on a coach then drop-off back to get the cable car back to the ship. I will ask onboard but I fear I will just have to get on with it or miss a gorgeous place.

What are you going to ask about on board? I guess I am confused. The line's website will give you the information about their excursions; you can't book private excursions on board ship (well, you wouldn't want to).

Those who said you can tender to Oia first using a ship's excursion are correct. We did this and it was FABULOUS. Then as you said, the bus drops you back in Fira and you can take the cable car if you want to. The price includes a ticket, but we didn't use it. We walked down the steps, easy! The cable car goes to the tender landing, and so do the steps. :) They are wide and easy to navigate, and you can rest if you need to. You can see if a donkey is coming up and just move aside. It's not a big deal, in my opinion. Yes, there is poop on the steps but obviously you will just avoid it.

The cable car at the top of the cliff is not isolated from the rest of the town. You can easily just walk around afterward and then take the steps when you are ready.

I beg you with everything inside me, do not miss your day in Santorini. It was one of the most fabulous days of my life, no word of a lie. You do not have to take the cable car - we didn't. I have a fear of heights also, but our reason was because it was July and the hour wait in the sun was not appealing. ;)

I have walked up and down the walkway from the tender port to Fira on all three previous occasions -- I have no desire to stand in a line in the sun waiting for a five minute cable car ride. As noted above unless you have mobility issues it is a fairly easy walk. Do not wear shoes without a little tired as the walkway can be a bit slick in spots. And if a. whenever an animal came over to where I was walking by the wall I just gave it a gentle nudge, You can try to avoid the poop but likely you will step in a little of it -- no big deal. Just clean your shoes before you get back on your ship.

If fear of heights is the issue, the height is just the same whether you ride the cable car or walk. So what is the difference? I wouldn't walk it.

I don't have a fear of heights so I'm not trying to make light of it. But I bet you could ride the cable car just as easily as walking all those steps!

Im afraid of heights also however, I was very surprised that it was not an actual cable car that would swing back-and-forth on a cable in mid air. It's really a Funicula that is attached to the side of the wall. It is more like an escalator., With no moving steps. You'll be really surprised when you see it because it's not scary at all.

Edited by Lucy Jane

Im afraid of heights also however, I was very surprised that it was not an actual cable car that would swing back-and-forth on a cable in mid air. It's really a Funicula that is attached to the side of the wall. It is more like an escalator., With no moving steps. You'll be really surprised when you see it because it's not scary at all.

I don't know what you are remembering, but what I saw was a cable car, not a funicular. And the cars do dangle. I've tried to attach a photo of the cable car at Santorini and another photo of a funicular in Budapest.

While I was able to ride the funicular in Budapest, I did not attempt the cable car on Santorini.

OP - here is a link I found for a fast boat from Fira to Oia and back. It might be something for you to consider. http://shorebee.com/en/greece/oia/from-santorini-to-oia/boat

It ultimately is up to the OP, if she feels she can or cannot.

cablecar1.jpg.a59967348013ef33df633505295b6137.jpg

Castle_Hill_Fun1.jpg.69dc92ee3e8954bbc71aaf106ad8a5f3.jpg

Edited by agabbymama

I think were all talking about the same thing we just have different names for it yes I did see pictures of the cable car but I really don't remember it swinging back-and-forth and I too am afraid of heights and wasn't scared at all. Have fun.