Traveling with elderly Dad

We are sailing on Anthem in May with my dad who

is 89. He is a little unstable and walks with a cane.

Any recommendations or experiences you have had

While sailing that you can share that may make his trip

A little easier for him? We are taking a walker and

have requested wheel chair assistance when boarding in Cape Liberty.

Not trying to suggest that he would get lost, or disoriented, but the ship's corridors are long and doors do all look alike, I have seen people decorate their door to make their cabin standout more for family members - or just for fun! Works well for all ages!

We are sailing on Anthem in May with my dad who

is 89. He is a little unstable and walks with a cane.

Any recommendations or experiences you have had

While sailing that you can share that may make his trip

A little easier for him? We are taking a walker and

have requested wheel chair assistance when boarding in Cape Liberty.

How far can he walk comfortably even with a walker? The Anthem is enormous with activities in the far aft and far forward. Where exactly is your cabin located? Have you considered also getting a transport chair so you can get your dad off the ship in port where the walking distances are even greater?

Not trying to suggest that he would get lost, or disoriented, but the ship's corridors are long and doors do all look alike, I have seen people decorate their door to make their cabin standout more for family members - or just for fun! Works well for all ages!

Or sometimes if you've had a few too many drinks......my husband and I both got lost the same evening on the oasis....I ended up circling an entire deck (wrong deck anyway lol) trying to find our cabin which is a big deal on that big of a ship lol!!! Great advice either way!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We just got back with my father who is 85 and a little like you describe yours. The walker we have he can also sit in and we can push him. This made it nice for those longer walks that he needed a break. We also just planned to take it a little slower at times to allow time for him to get places. The biggest advice I can give you is do not plan on being first to things, because that is where you get bigger crowds of people and can make it hard for him.

How far can he walk comfortably even with a walker? The Anthem is enormous with activities in the far aft and far forward. Where exactly is your cabin located? Have you considered also getting a transport chair so you can get your dad off the ship in port where the walking distances are even greater?

This is what I was going to suggest. We have one for my DH who can't walk long distances. They are lightweight, compact, versatile, and great from getting from one end of the ship to the other as well as off and on the ship. They fold up, so easy to store in the cabin.

This is what I was going to suggest. We have one for my DH who can't walk long distances. They are lightweight, compact, versatile, and great from getting from one end of the ship to the other as well as off and on the ship. They fold up, so easy to store in the cabin.

my 84 year old mum was on Oasis and Allure with us last 2 years . her mobility is very good considering her age. However we hired a mobility scooter through Vacations at Sea

she does not use any form of aid at home !

so glad we did this . The scooter was in our cabin when we arrived and collected from our cabin on our departure day. great efficient service. The size of these ships the elderly really do benefit from this aid.

You haven't said what type of cabin you have booked but size may be an issue. The first cruise I took with my mom and her walker we didn't get a handicapped cabin and it was a tight fit with the walker in the cabin. Also, a standard door isn't wide enough for the walker so I always had to fold it down to go into the cabin. We were always together so we managed but it's not something I'd ever do again. Also, most ships have a small step up into the bathroom - if you think your dad will be ok managing that great, if not I'd suggest checking into a handicapped cabin.

I second the fridge magnets on the door. We've tried to get into the wrong cabin before.

Be very careful of your father during muster drill. And have him rest in the room as soon as you can enter. We saw a man using a rollator fell when he tripped over the threshold.

We always travel w/ flashlights and put them in the night table stand for night trips to the bathroom.

Edited by knittinggirl

Standing in the shower could be a safety issue if the ship is rocky. Ask for a handicapped room with a shower chair. Also, be sure to take a list of your father's medications and contact info for his doctors. Check with his doctor ahead of time to see if your dad can safely take any seasickness meds if needed. Also check with his doctor regarding bringing some over the counter medications for an upset stomach or constipation as changes in his dietary routine could cause problems. At dinner you can order various food plain without all the heavy sauces/spices. An elderly person's immune system is weaker so ensure he is vigilant about washing his hands often. I like to bring a container of antibacterial liquid hand soap. Good luck.

You are getting wonderful suggestions from everyone!

I would also get opinions on the Disabled Cruising forum - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

If you don't have a handicapped room for Dad, your ship may have a handicapped shower in the men's locker room.

Your Dad's overall safety is the primary objective and you need to provide every 'extra' to make sure that happens throughout your trip - airports, getting on and off the ship, getting from the ship in and out of the actual port, and getting everywhere around the ship.

IMO if Dad doesn't already know how to use a scooter, that may not be the best solution for him. My mother used a scooter all the time in her retirement community, but she found it overwhelming to use on the ship, particularly the elevators. The collapsible transport chair ( think adult stroller - not a wheelchair) was the best solution for us - I pushed her from point A to point B and then she walked.

We just got back with my father who is 85 and a little like you describe yours. The walker we have he can also sit in and we can push him. This made it nice for those longer walks that he needed a break. We also just planned to take it a little slower at times to allow time for him to get places. The biggest advice I can give you is do not plan on being first to things, because that is where you get bigger crowds of people and can make it hard for him.

Unless the walker is specifically designed to convert to a transport chair under NO circumstance should a standard seated rollator be used in place of wheelchair or transport chair.

There are warning label specifically on a standard seated rollator stating that it should NEVER be used in lieu of a wheelchair. By using it as transport chair the entire rollator can collapse thus causing harm to the individual as it was not designed to push an individual while seated. The seat is only to be used when the rollator is in the locked stationery position to allow the person to rest intermittently and NOT to be used in place of a wheelchair/transport chair. Any respectable Physical Therapist and or Occupational Therapist should have informed you of this had one been consulted prior to purchase.