Emerald Princess, First Cruise - Advice Required

Agent Gibbs

Hello,

We are due to sail on the Emerald Princess on the 14th May for 2 weeks around the Med, which will be our very first cruise and I'm looking for the do's and don't while on-board and also any advice on the excursions that are on offer to you.

As for eating on the ship, do you have to pay at all the restaurants or just certain ones?

Can we bring our own bottle water on-board as my wife rarely drinks alcohol and don't see the point in having a soft drinks package when all she'll be drinking is water and i like the odd beer or two but don't thing again it's worth getting the full drinks package

Any tips/advice will most welcome and i'm sure i'll be asking more questions later on

Cheers

AG

If you like to drink teas and coffee then buy a coffee card. If you buy a card you get free ordinary teas or filter coffee free in the International Cafe. You can have food/meals in the cafe and that's included in your cruise price. Some couples share a card where one will have the free drink whilst the other orders a specialty coffee. I love breakfast in the cafe, yogurt fruit and doughnuts, after all you are on holiday so enjoy.

You can ask any bar tender for a glass of tap water, free of charge.

Also if you manage to board early consider going to the restaurant for lunch rather than the buffet which will be so full. Ask the staff once onboard which restaurant is open, they will try to direct you to the buffet but it's more relaxing dining in the restaurant.

I'm sure you can pick up bottled water ashore and take it back to your cabin but the water is safe to drink on board. You could have room service to wake you with tea, coffee, milk or water just ask your steward for the room service list.

Do a little research on the ports you're due to visit and decide which must see sights you would like to visit. Often you can arrange your own excursion using local buses, train or hoho bus.

If you're British carry your E111 card ashore with you. At least you'll only need Euros.

I hope you enjoy your first cruise but beware cruising can become addictive.

I've already being search this forum and have seem mentioned about bring your own wine on board but haven't find anything (as yet) about bringing your own water with you.

I've found the links from the princess website about the excursions, but you don't have to go on their planned excursions, as i'm sure other passengers would have made other arrangements themsles

You can bring on as many soft drinks and bottles of water as you like. I understand that you can put a luggage label on a pallet of such drinks, leave with the porter at Southampton with the rest of your luggage and it will arrive at your cabin. Alternatively you can do as we do and load your drinks into your hand luggage and carry it aboard. We use a small wheelie case. You are also allowed to take a bottle of wine each. This can be a nice cabin treat.

We love Princess and cruised a number of times from Southampton. It is a bit daunting planning your first cruise but once on board everything will fall into place. Cruises are the easiest holidays ever and there is nothing like your first cruise. Happy sailingx.

Hi, we are also on the 14th May Emerald cruise, have you read through the roll call for our trip? There's lots of good info on there.

The E111 is now called EHIC, it is free and can be applied for online, will take about a week for it to come in the post.

The soft drinks package onboard doesn't include water but I think there may be a water package, but as previously said the tap water is fine to drink, or if you prefer bottled, you can take it on board. We've both got the soft drinks package but I'm taking diet tonic aboard as they don't stock it.

Hope you enjoy your first cruise, I'm sure you'll then be addicted like the rest of us on here,

Diane

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hello,

We are due to sail on the Emerald Princess on the 14th May for 2 weeks around the Med, which will be our very first cruise and I'm looking for the do's and don't while on-board and also any advice on the excursions that are on offer to you.

As for eating on the ship, do you have to pay at all the restaurants or just certain ones?

Can we bring our own bottle water on-board as my wife rarely drinks alcohol and don't see the point in having a soft drinks package when all she'll be drinking is water and i like the odd beer or two but don't thing again it's worth getting the full drinks package

Any tips/advice will most welcome and i'm sure i'll be asking more questions later on

Cheers

AG

A Princess Patter will be delivered to your cabin each evening. It lists all the events for the next day. On the last page it has the times for all the restaurants and bars.

In response to your dining questions, most dining on the ship is at no extra charge, but there are some special options with a surcharge. It is very easy to go an entire cruise without ever going to one of the surcharge restaurants.

Free Dining:

*All main dining rooms(MDR's) which are open for breakfast and dinner each day and lunch on sea days.

*International Cafe - a walk up cafe open 24/7 serving danish, doughnuts, a breakfast sandwich and some other items for breakfast, and paninis, salads, hot pies, quiche, soup, desserts for lunch & evening. The espresso bar is at the International Cafe where espresso drinks are sold. If you like espresso drinks suggest you purchase a Cafe Selects card (coffee card). This entitles you to 15 espresso drinks plus unlimited "brewed" drip coffee and special premium teas for the voyage. Free in the buffet area and in DR's. The coffee is prepared from a concentrate. There is also free tea in the buffet area all day.

*Horizon Ct./Cafe Caribe buffet area - Open continuously from 5am to 11pm, never closes. Serves breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, desserts, everything.

*Pizza & ice cream bar by the Lido pool. open 11am to 11pm serves soft ice cream and pizza by the slice.

*Trident Grill by the Lido Pool open 11am to 11pm, serves burgers, dogs, chicken, veggie burger, brats, fries (chips) and maybe some other items in the evening.

*Room Service 24 hours

*Pub Lunch - In think on the Emerald it is in the Crown Grill, check the Princess Patter. It serves things like fish & chips, breaded shrimp, ploughman's lunch, maybe shepherd's pie, things like that.

*There will most likely be a free afternoon tea in one of the DR's on most days.

Surcharge Dining:

These restaurants require reservations. Call the DINE line or visit the restaurant once on board. You can not pre-book these restaurants.

*Crown Grill: Steak, chops, seafood, US$25/pp

Share: A special dining experience by Curtis Stone, US$39/pp

*Crab Shack: Selections of different buckets of shellfish. Held some evenings in a closed off section of Cafe Carib. Casual dress. US$20/pp

*Gastro Pub: Special plates of pub food, with special high end spirits. Held in the evening at the Wheelhouse Bar. The food is US$19/pp. Spirits are extra.

*There are also special dining experiences like the Chef's Table, and breakfast or dinner Balcony Dining. If interested search these out.

Hope this information is useful.

You can bring bottled water on board or go under the beverage package icon in the cruise personalizer order a 12 pack of water for port days. The water on the ship by far exceeds clean water...it is reverse osmosis water...and pretty darn tasty!

You can bring on your own water but a water package is available at $6.95 for 12-500ml bottles or less than $0.60 a bottle. Individually on board 500ml bottles cost about $2.30 with gratuity so that is a savings of over $20. As others have posted, the water on board is produced by reverse osmosis or flash evaporation and is very good IMHO.

In addition to the extra cost Mighty Leaf tea at the International Cafe, there is a decent mix of Lipton, Bigelow and Twinings tea bags that are complementary in the Horizon Court.

You can bring on your own water but a water package is available at $6.95 for 12-500ml bottles or less than $0.60 a bottle.

Only available if ordered pre-cruise.

Once on the ship any water you purchase will be at the full ship price.

*International Cafe - a walk up cafe open 24/7 serving danish, doughnuts, a breakfast sandwich and some other items for breakfast, and paninis, salads, hot pies, quiche, soup, desserts for lunch & evening.

The IC has a charge for gelato and for some new fancy chocolate desserts.

Ship made regular ice cream is available at no cost in the dining room at lunch and dinner.

Yes i'm British and what's a E111 card?

You should of course have your own personal medical insurance as well. Medical treatment on board ship is expensive, and the E111 only covers you for treatment, not for any 'knock on' costs.

The Emerald Princess is our favourite ship. We have sailed on her four times. I'm sure you'll love the experience. There is something magical about arriving in a new port with adventures in store, and in the evening it's wonderful to be heading out, watching the place recede from view from the Horizon Terrace at the stern of the ship.

Lots of entertainment to choose from: Princess Theatre shows, Explorers Lounge cabaret; Club Fusion, and the performers in the Piazza and occasionally on the outdoor decks. No charge for any of these; it's all included. We like to get a coffee and a snack from the International Cafe when we get back on board and sit in the comfortable chairs in the Piazza, listening to the musicians or watching the acts.

Watch out for Movies Under the Stars. You can relax on a sun lounger, with a blanket in the evenings if it turns chilly, and enjoy complimentary popcorn or cookies and milk whilst watching the film. The pizza and burger grill places are nearby if you want a quick snack too.

The Horizon Court dining area is open very early until late so you can eat from there whenever you want, apart from in the middle of the night when you can still find something at the International Cafe. We prefer to dine in the main dining rooms, choosing Anytime Dining so we can eat whatever time suits us and usually just the two of us, but occasionally joining people we have met. We tend to dine later - 8pm onwards - so usually we can get a table straight away, but it's no great hardship if there is a slight wait: they will give you a 'beeper' to let you know when a table is available so you can relax in Crooners piano bar with a drink while you wait.

You'll find there is plenty of storage space in your room. There is a large closet and a cupboard with handy shelves and a safe. Ask the steward to bring you a couple of bath robes; no need to pack your own. You will find blue and white striped pool towels on the top shelf of your closet, by the life jackets. If you want to do laundry you can use the self-service laundrettes or send it out (at a charge).

There are drawers by the bed and in the desk, and of course there is a fridge to keep the water cold. Ask your steward to ensure that there is always ice in the ice bucket and request a coupe of wine glasses. You can order a bowl of fresh fruit for your room; just fill in the request slip. We have always had an aft balcony with easy access to Horizon Court so we pop up there to get a plate of 'nibbles' (cheese, grapes, crisps, nuts) to accompany a pre-dinner drink on our balcony.

When you board on the first day, try to get on as early as possible so you can go to the main dining room that is serving lunch (usually until about 1.30). You will probably be encouraged to head to Horizon Court for lunch but that will be busy so my advice is to seek out which dining room is serving lunch and enjoy being waited on in a calm, relaxed atmosphere; a great way to kick off your cruise.

There is so much to enjoy so make the most of it. Explore the ship from bow to stern and try everything!

Hi I hope that your first cruise will be as memorable as our's was 23 years ago. You will get plenty of advice on do' and don't . Firstly you need to do your homework before the cruise, there is so much info on the Internet . You will find that every port will have it's own website that will give you help on visits and walks I.e Marseille-tourisme.com.

On the ship unless you enjoy lot's of alcohol don't buy the drinks package.

You can normally bring your own wine and water on board . If you want soft drinks you can get lemonade and water free every day at the Horizon buffet.

It may seem expensive but you should try the speciality restaurants even at $25 pp in the scale of the cost of the cruise it is not that much. All other restaurants are free. At lunchtime try the tapas it is free if you,buy a glass ofwine.

Ps almost everyone on the ship will be friendly so don't worry

Hi I hope that your first cruise will be as memorable as our's was 23 years ago. You will get plenty of advice on do' and don't . Firstly you need to do your homework before the cruise, there is so much info on the Internet . You will find that every port will have it's own website that will give you help on visits and walks I.e Marseille-tourisme.com.

On the ship unless you enjoy lot's of alcohol don't buy the drinks package.

You can normally bring your own wine and water on board . If you want soft drinks you can get lemonade and water free every day at the Horizon buffet.

It may seem expensive but you should try the speciality restaurants even at $25 pp in the scale of the cost of the cruise it is not that much. All other restaurants are free. At lunchtime try the tapas it is free if you,buy a glass ofwine.

Ps almost everyone on the ship will be friendly so don't worry

Good advice! You might also like to check out Tom's Port Guides:

http://www.tomsportguides.com

We met Tom on a New England cruise, having benefitted from his guides for a few cruises already. He's a lovely, generous man who enjoys compiling the guides in his spare time now he's retired. Lots of very practical information.

Some of my top tips for a first cruise

USA plug adapter

4 plug extension lead

Highlighter pen for marking all the shows and activities

Plastic envelope for drinks slips

Join the roll call and attend any meet and mingles

Free washers driers so take your own powder

Don't get drawn into conversation about other peoples cruises they always just moan on and on( or perhaps I've just been unlucky [emoji16])

Comfy shoes for all that walking

Plenty of research about your ports - just ask on CC everyone so helpful

[emoji106]

Some of my top tips for a first cruise

USA plug adapter

4 plug extension lead

Highlighter pen for marking all the shows and activities

Plastic envelope for drinks slips

Join the roll call and attend any meet and mingles

Free washers driers so take your own powder

Don't get drawn into conversation about other peoples cruises they always just moan on and on( or perhaps I've just been unlucky [emoji16])

Comfy shoes for all that walking

Plenty of research about your ports - just ask on CC everyone so helpful

[emoji106]

Unless it's different for the Med cruises, the washers/dryers are NOT free, you use your cruise card to pay. The Emerald is a lovely ship, enjoy!

Edited by WisCruiser2