No more "Free Beverage Package" for us

Mikkar

Posts about wine always make me laugh. There have been many, many studies that have shown there is very little difference between wine that are labeled as "cheap", and the "expensive" wines. It's also funny because people think they are being fancy, but 9/10 they would be fooled by a blind taste test.

Posts about wine always make me laugh. There have been many, many studies that have shown there is very little difference between wine that are labeled as "cheap", and the "expensive" wines. It's also funny because people think they are being fancy, but 9/10 they would be fooled by a blind taste test.

Absolutely disagree. That's like saying a meat lover couldn't tell the difference between a Big Mac and a Filet. Doesn't pass the sanity test.

There is nothing worse than a vinegary wine. I have had very expensive wines that have tasted like total crap as well!

I don't care how much a bottle costs, but I do care how it tastes. I like white wine, that doesn't mean I like Chardonnay or Moscato, they taste totally different. A light red vs a full bodied red are worlds apart in taste.

I agree if you do a blind taste test on blends, occasionally you can not tell them apart. I also know that I've ordered a Pinot Grigio and been handed a glass of Chardonnay countless times and have sent it back. I've also sent back bad Pinot Grigio, and asked for another brand. To me it's all about the taste and nothing about the price tag.

Edited by SuiteCruiser

I agree to some degree. I frequently can be happy with a good table wine. However, there is a threshold for cheap wines that just don't cut it.

We have found some excellent red wines from Argentina, Chile and Australia that are pretty darn good for very reasonable prices. We dined at a restaurant a few months ago where the cheapest Cabernet was $70 a bottle, usually above my cut off for value. It was very good wine and I could tell that it was, but only incrementally much better than the Chilean Cab that I can buy locally for $10 a bottle. Of course, that Chilean Cab would probably cost $28 on a cruise ship.

While the average person may not be able to distinguish the difference between a $15 and $40 bottle of wine, the average wine drinker can distinguish between a Cabernet and a Pinot Noir or between a Pinot Grigio and a Chardonnay. There is a huge difference between types of white wines and types of red wines. The average wine drinker can also distinguish between the bottom-of-the-barrel NCL offerings and any decent bottle of wine. That's why the issue being discussed here is that NCL no longer offers individual glasses of many types of wine and that diminishes both the drinking and dining experience for some.

Wow, this just keeps getting better and better for us. :mad:

We booked Escape a year ago for this September and we are at the point now to where we are not even excited about our 1st NCL cruise. Had we not already booked airfare and if my MIL & her friend were not going with us, we would have cancelled by now.

I have a bad feeling that this will be our 1st and last NCL cruise. We already booked our 2017 cruise, but it's not with NCL.

Posts like this make me sad. I understand that you're not canceling, but only because you're too deep into it...seems like otherwise you would have.

I can relate in a similar way as I like routine and was hesitant to "jump ship" from Carnival to NCL. It really was a deal that I couldn't pass up, especially with the UBP perk. I'm SO glad I did. I'm not specific cruise line loyal, but I go where the best deals are. Right now, that's been NCL, and I think the cruise line is superb. I'm definitely inclined to look at NCL first for future bookings.

I understand this is a forum to share thoughts and opinions, but a lot of times I feel that the negatives are taken more seriously than the positives (which is the same everywhere else), and so many people on here are negative. People with negative opinions are more likely to go write bad reviews and complain than people with positive experiences who would much rather take their memories and keep them to themselves. If you go in open-minded, I'm sure you will have an amazing cruise (although I don't know you, and you could be one of those "negative" people that I was talking about who frequent CC and seem to never enjoy anything..but your sincere concern makes me doubt that).

As for the OP, I think the point is valid. There is basically one of each type of wine (merlot, cab, riesling, pinot, etc) available by the glass now. I'm not a wine drinker, but on my cruise last week, I had maybe 3 glasses over the course of the trip with various dinners. Because of the limited choices, you basically don't need the wine list with the UBP...I just had to order "a riesling" and it was brought to me, since there is only one choice available.

As a liquor-drinker, I love the UBP. I can relate because although now the liquor selection is top-notch, if they severely limited it in the future, I would reconsider the UBP. I still love NCL, but would maybe not get the UBP itself. Yes, not having to worry about paying drink by drink is nice, but I'd rather utilize the UBP for Goose and Ketel as opposed to Smirnoff.

Also...I've seen a lot of complaining about the price of bottles/beer and the increase from market value. Y'all keep saying "I could get [insert name] at my local liquor/grocery store for [insert cheap price]." I don't think that's a fair comparison, as you'll find these are marked up anywhere in the hospitality industry...restaurants, bars, clubs, hotels, and yes, cruises. I don't think $7 for a Bud Light is outrageous (maybe because I live in Miami, but I've seen them for $11 and $12...and no, I don't buy them). Similar to any club VIP where bottle service is $200+ per bottle...obviously, they don't cost that much at Total Wine. I guess if you want your special drink at your local store price, just buy it there and stay home?

Edited by zackarykeef

So I will be very interested to see what the Wine list will look like over the next few months....on a side note about the Sky this fine print does read that it is unlimited but from a designated list, not the UDP that you can purchase on the other ships.

1258301682_ScreenShot2016-04-07at11_29_48AM.jpg.0dfdf77ff3aa7f97cb2aeba21dfd12e2.jpg

I too am disappointed that the wine selection has changed.

On the other hand, I can understand it from the company's point of view. Open wine doesn't keep very well, no matter how well corked it is. They were probably throwing away a lot of wine. Wine also is probably the most costly and labor intensive of all the alcohol they serve.

So, I have several choices. Either drink something other than wine (and there are lots of choices), drink the house wine, buy expensive bottles to get the most from the 20% discount, have a drink before dinner so I don't taste the wine as much, bring my own as I have in the past - I like this kind of dilemma!

Vic

I was just reading the updated wine list on the ncl breakaway....so then that means if there is a wine that doesn't show wine by the glass and price... that you cannot order a glass of wine from that particular wine.... but you have to purchase the entire bottle? that really sucks....that is the purpose the UBP...or order anything that is up to the $15 limit..... I particularly like white wine....guess i am going to have to go with Beringer white zinfedel for a glass of wine... but i usually like charrodnay wine....but i like the mondavi also, and if i want that my persumption would be that i would have to purchase an entire bottle of it.... am i correct?

For me it has nothing to do with the price of the wine. It is all about how it tastes to me. What one person likes doesn't mean everyone or even anyone else will like that too.

I love the Matua valley white wine (no longer on the by the glass list)

I don't mind the Meridien white wine (on the by the glass list)

Don't like the North & South white wine (on the by the glass list)

I don't mind the prossecco (on the by the glass list)

I will try a couple of the reds to see if I like any of those.

Do you realize that if you'd never joined CC, you'd go on this cruise and have the time of your life?

This has got to be the best quote I have ever read on CC. Quote of the decade!

I agree to some degree. I frequently can be happy with a good table wine. However, there is a threshold for cheap wines that just don't cut it.

We have found some excellent red wines from Argentina, Chile and Australia that are pretty darn good for very reasonable prices. We dined at a restaurant a few months ago where the cheapest Cabernet was $70 a bottle, usually above my cut off for value. It was very good wine and I could tell that it was, but only incrementally much better than the Chilean Cab that I can buy locally for $10 a bottle. Of course, that Chilean Cab would probably cost $28 on a cruise ship.

True, I'm not saying there is no difference between a $2 dollar bottle, and a $50 bottle. However, the higher you go, the less the difference.

While the average person may not be able to distinguish the difference between a $15 and $40 bottle of wine, the average wine drinker can distinguish between a Cabernet and a Pinot Noir or between a Pinot Grigio and a Chardonnay. There is a huge difference between types of white wines and types of red wines. The average wine drinker can also distinguish between the bottom-of-the-barrel NCL offerings and any decent bottle of wine. That's why the issue being discussed here is that NCL no longer offers individual glasses of many types of wine and that diminishes both the drinking and dining experience for some.

Typically, yes it is easy enough to distinguish between different styles of wine. However, it is not always the case, and between the same style of win, it becomes vastly harder.

It's simply not true that the average wine drinker would be able to distinguish between cheap and expensive wine.

Absolutely disagree. That's like saying a meat lover couldn't tell the difference between a Big Mac and a Filet. Doesn't pass the sanity test.

It's actually VERY different than saying that. Again there have been MANY studies that have tested this theory.

http://www.businessinsider.com/expensive-wine-isnt-better-research-2014-7

This article provides links to several studies, including the very well-know Brochet study done in 2001. It's pretty amusing to see people so valiantly try and defend their "classy" wine.

This has got to be the best quote I have ever read on CC. Quote of the decade!

I think it's a great quote, but not necessarily true. I would say most people don't like negative surprises on their vacations. Finding out the UBP that you paid for or at least paid 18% of has a handful of white wines, when you're a wine drinker would put a damper on your vacation. Finding out that your UDP is pretty much worthless unless you want to eat at 5:30 or 9:30 is not a pleasant surprise.

I would prefer to find out ahead of time and be able to figure out plan B ahead of time, know to make reservations either far out or as soon as you get onboard, etc.

Now positive surprises are best left to the vacation :)

I think it's a great quote, but not necessarily true. I would say most people don't like negative surprises on their vacations. Finding out the UBP that you paid for or at least paid 18% of has a handful of white wines, when you're a wine drinker would put a damper on your vacation. Finding out that your UDP is pretty much worthless unless you want to eat at 5:30 or 9:30 is not a pleasant surprise.

I would prefer to find out ahead of time and be able to figure out plan B ahead of time, know to make reservations either far out or as soon as you get onboard, etc.

Now positive surprises are best left to the vacation :)

As someone who cruises all lines I think the quote is so true as there would be negativity and "I'm not cruising ABC line again!" no matter what thread it went in. If it went in:

Princess - What a beverage package, why the change! It was not like this 10, 20, 30, years ago! Why can't they keep well enough alone!

Celebrity - Beverage packages, shhh don't tell anyone we are just like NCL

RCL - I can't get a drink delivered to me on the on board merry-go round

Cunard - They were wearing informal wear while trying to order a drink-gasp!

Holland - Please nudge the person on the right of you awake and ask if they have a package

Edited by MrMan

True, I'm not saying there is no difference between a $2 dollar bottle, and a $50 bottle. However, the higher you go, the less the difference.

Yes, the Red Hurricane wine you buy at a 711 is normally not consumed by rational people. Once you get beyond the rotgut stuff, say $10 a bottle(sells on cruise ship for $30) improvements are incremental.

I love Chateau Neuf du Pape, but don't need to go there, when I can drink Casas del Bosque for a fraction of the price. Also, like Argentine Malbec: Alamos

http://www.malbec.ws

I agree with you about telling the difference between good wine and bad wine. Pricing is not relevant at times. I hate off tasting vinegar like wine (which most of the time is the cheap wine). I love love love Kirkland 1500 Magnum size Sonoma Chardonney. $7.99. Cheap as hell. And I love it. I brought them of these on my 10 day cruise (I didn't have the UBP). I paid the corkage fee and enjoyed that wine with dinner. I rather have that wine then the swill NCL was trying to pass off as their lowest priced wine

Btw I love all of Kirkland branded wine. Their sommilier picks the most amazing wineries and house bottles them. I also brough their old vine zinfindal as a red

Edited by renata102

Absolutely absurd: while a fool might pay $200 for a bottle of caustic Muscatel, the reasonably aware know that, while you might not get what you pay for, you sure as h..l will not get something you do not pay for.

Good wines are generally recognized as such and are in sufficient demand to command the higher prices which the rarity of the crop, the care of the vines, the timing of the harvest, and all the steps between vine and drinking require.

I don't drink just one brand of one style but Norwegian used to have several selections of each style and that was the one that I liked the best. Now, there is no selection.

Your best bet is to bring your own on board, pay the corkage and save a lot of money.

I don't consider myself a wine expert but I do know what tastes good to me. And I enjoy a nice drinkable glass of wine with my dinner.

On my previous cruise on the Breakaway, I was happy to pay the little extra over $11/ glass to drink Oberon Cab and savignon blanc.

This cruise last week on Escape was so different. Even though ubp limit is now $15, there is hardly anything you can enjoy by the glass. Chateau St. John cab was ok. The merlot and sauvignon blanc were just not enjoyable. So disappointing for me.

I did enjoy the cruise anyway and of course there were lots of good things.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk