No more "Free Beverage Package" for us

Mikkar

Here's what's listed on the Atrium Bar menu...

5531c185beeb330a2724112fe93a7116.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Looks like the exact same list from my 2015 cruise!!! So looking for to the District Brew House on my next cruise!

Ha- hilarious that you call me uneducated, when you lack the basic reading comprehension. I clearly posted a link in a previous post. Maybe you should read a little more next time. ;)

I do drink wine, and the link I provided clearly backs my opinion. Obviously taste has very little to do with cost, which is the point I'm trying to make. It's funny that you say that, yet you act like my argument is wrong. :confused:

Where did I say that win is labeled as cheap and expensive?? Hence the quotes around them. You clearly lack some basic understanding.

If you don't know what being fancy means, then you might have a problem. It was a jab, directed towards people who put on airs that they may be better than someone else, simply due to the cost of something. It is quite ironic that you say I have limited knowledge, when you can't even click on a link. :rolleyes:

The study focused on "Numerous studies have indicated that price, quality, and enjoyment of wine are essentially unrelated. Note that for the purposes of the studies highlighted below, "expensive" generally ranged from $30-$90"

The range on the ship. And they picked the nastiest probably from this study. I

Will stick to my Kirkland brand sommilier picked $7 to $19 bottles of wine and pay the corkage fee. My cheap wine will far surpass NCL VERY SMALL and limited EXPENSIVE choices (see expensive because they marked if up beyond typical markups). We are at sea not land so we can't hop over another ship mid cruise.

Edited by renata102
Change

Your post is not very clear, however if you are referencing mine as absurd, please go read the link that I provided. It has more than enough evidence to back me up.

Anyone who drinks wine should be aware of the Brochet study.

If you do not understand the concept to which I referred: that good wines, being the result of greater effort and being in greater demand than rot-gut, are likely to cost more than rot-gut, there is not much clarifying I can do for you.

If you do not understand the concept to which I referred: that good wines, being the result of greater effort and being in greater demand than rot-gut, are likely to cost more than rot-gut, there is not much clarifying I can do for you.
One thing I know. If you blind taste me and one bottle is 3 Buck Chuck and the other is Chateau Lafite Rothschild, I can pick out the CLR every single time.

One thing I know. If you blind taste me and one bottle is 3 Buck Chuck and the other is Chateau Lafite Rothschild, I can pick out the CLR every single time.

3 buck chuck is GOD AWFUL. maybe after polishing off a bottle of good wine I might not taste the difference.

Ps I have yet to polish a whole bottle off. Got to over a half and called it a night.

All I know is that now it is not really enjoyable to get a glass of wine with your dinner.

And that ncl took a great idea in the Wine Cellar with a great initial menu of wines by the glass and have now completely killed it. I can get much better wine at the local Kroger.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I suggest you read your post to which I initially responded: the claims you made re: the difference between cheap and expensive wines were indeed absurd. I agree that many, possibly even a majority, of people have little or no nose or taste for wine - on the other hand, very many do. It is not all pretension, as you seem to like to believe.

Only a fool believes every aspect of every study he reads about - and, while there may be some foundation to the generality of your contentions, you jeopardize your credibility by your whole-hearted adherence to them.

I suggest you go back and actually read the studies, not just one study, that was posted in the link. Again, that's multiple studies, done by researchers. It proves that it actually is pretension in a lot of ways.

We are talking about a lot of different studies here. Which is more foolish, to believe several studies linked by business insider, or a random person on the internet?? Don't let facts get in he way of your bull headed argument.

Thankfully they had chateau st Jean cab by the glass. Not bad.. But what I couldn't understand is how I could get Patron or Grey Goose in my cocktail, but the glass wine choices were for the most part.. Low grocery store choices. Why premium alcohol but cheap wine?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

because a liter of Grey goose for $30 works out to about 75 cents per one once shot.

a $5 bottle of wine cost them $1 a glass.

a $10 bottle of wine will cost $2 a glass. This is assuming a 5 oz pour.

Margins on hard liquor are much larger than on wine.

The selection of wines by the glass has been drastically reduced. Even before that, it was nothing to get excited about for anyone with strong wine preferences.

Here is the current wine menu for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

It's clear that if you only drink wine, but won't drink any of the wines by the glass that they now offer, then the UBP makes no sense for you (even if you only pay the 18%).

Without debating wine quality or preference....ALL I can say..is that having such a limited selection is very annoying...sometimes only one choice in a type. :eek: Come on NCL...this is really carrying cutbacks.(or is it for convenience :confused:).a bit too far! Expanding the offerings by the glass in each category would be the decent thing to do...(esp since there are bottles close in price in each..even if they are on the "lower end" in price.).....at least there would be a selection..)

There is some sort of disconnect here: I do not know anyone who believes that a higher price alone makes a wine better; however it certainly does follow that a better wine (and there ARE objective distinctions between poor wines and better ones) will reasonably command a higher price than a poorer one.

There is some sort of disconnect here: I do not know anyone who believes that a higher price alone makes a wine better; however it certainly does follow that a better wine (and there ARE objective distinctions between poor wines and better ones) will reasonably command a higher price than a poorer one.

This.

These posts are providing a wealth of entertainment. Although right now I am visualizing a couple of French guys in powdered wigs slapping each other with their fancy gloves, sissy fighting over wine!

:D brings me back to ... I asked first, he touched me, i want a drink of water (oldest of 7 kids)

Sadly these later posts are also detracting from the original focus of the thread that the UBP has been watered down for wine drinkers due to the reduced choices of wine by the glass. We'll be on the Pearl in 26 days without the UBP and I'm sincerely hoping that decent bolder red wines will still be available in the 4 or 6 bottle package. Will also see what is available by the glass. If no recent menus have been posted I'll do so on return from the cruise.

:D brings me back to ... I asked first, he touched me, i want a drink of water (oldest of 7 kids)

Sadly these later posts are also detracting from the original focus of the thread that the UBP has been watered down for wine drinkers due to the reduced choices of wine by the glass. We'll be on the Pearl in 26 days without the UBP and I'm sincerely hoping that decent bolder red wines will still be available in the 4 or 6 bottle package. Will also see what is available by the glass. If no recent menus have been posted I'll do so on return from the cruise.

Actually, the question of whether or not cheap wine is indistinguishable from decent wine IS germaine to the discussion. It has been shown that NCL has "dumbed down" their wine selection, so if there really is no difference, passengers should happily drink what is available. On the other hand, if someone CAN distinguish, then they should consider bringing their own supply, paying NCL's corkage, and enjoying something decent with their meals.

I'm not a wine drinker. In fact, I'm really not an alcohol drinker in general. I never picked the UBP because I couldn't imagine drinking enough to make it cost effective. However, I've enjoyed the beer/wine/mojito/margarita/etc. tastings that are offered on sea days. I noticed that there are two wine events on the ship: A wine tasting and a show that involves sampling different wines. Are the choices for these events also limited to mediocre wines?

We just returned on Sunday from a 7 day cruise on the Breakaway that we had booked with the free internet package and free beverage package. We have sailed quite a few times on the Breakaway and have booked the free beverage package since Norwegian started offering it. After this last cruise, we probably will not choose this package again. Originally, it was truly free because it included gratuities and there were many different drinks to choose from and I usually chose the Mondavi Chardonnay. On this cruise, there was only one chardonnay available by the glass, Meridian brand, which I didn't care for. This brand used to be the least expensive chardonnay that was available and now it's the premium and they have an even cheaper house wine. I met with the beverage manager and he said that this is what corporate wants them to serve and that I could buy the Mondavi chardonnay by the bottle and I would get 20% off because I had the beverage package. I did buy 2 bottles which ended up costing approx. $38.00 for the wine and the auto gratuity. I think that Norwegian has downgraded the brands that they serve to offset the cost of offering the free beverage package. Plus, I paid $80 each for my husband and myself for the beverage service charge for this package. For this amount, I can bring the wine that I want with me and pay the corkage fee. I was unaware of the changes that Norwegian had made and want to let others know.

We had a great time and will sail on the Breakaway again but will select a different package next time.

I think it's ridiculous that US passengers are charged the gratuity on a 'freebie'- in the UK we pay more for our cruises typically but at least the free beverage package is actually free- honest and transparent prices mean more to me than a false price. NCL should really act with more class- it's not a budget airline at the end of the day.

The current list seems to be bad news for the person that likes to have a glass of wine with their food.

Some reactions I read are suggesting the change doesn't mind, because alcohol = alcohol and why not take a Captain Morgan with Pepsi as an alternative. To accompany your scallops? It seems that NCL have taken the same approach.

Most wine lovers drink a glass of wine with the food in order to enhance the experience, the food. Most wine adepts are not interested in a whole bottle when having an extensive dinner for 2. It is much nicer to have a specific glass with each course. No serious wine drinker empties a bottle just because there is some wine left. NCL showed great intelligence in the past, beating the competition, but now it seems they take the dangerous idea that wine = wine and if you do not like it, just take a vodka with grape flavor.

Anyway, the list is now so limited and with such poor choices (speaking from experience), that we now have to order a bottle of good stuff per course. And have 2/3 of the bottle left to waste. Or have the damn thing drawn all over the ship for 3 days or so, which in it self is not an option. Luckily the 20 percent discount for UBP-holders is still in force. We can count, however, the seconds before this also will end.

It also seems that there now is not a champagne by the glass option anymore. Just gone. The poor prosecco on offer, a form of sugar water, is no alternative. A glass of champagne was always nice to start a dinner with. Although there was an extra to be paid, which was fine. If this is true, this means 2 glasses of champage will currently set you back 100 bucks or so and have the rest thrown away. I guess NCL can seriously limit their champagne stock as of now.

It really is a pitty to see NCL make the next serious thinking mistake. People like us will now decide easier to just not bother or as an alternative have half or more of the bottle go to waste. Talking about sustainability.

Also it is unfair to the people that bought or received (...) the package a year or so ago thinking a decent wine would be included.

We will have the few extra bottles credited against our 300 dollar or more (have to check) OBC. That we normally would not use anyway (what to use for if you have the UBP, SDP and internet promos and Spa pass already and avoid the in the meanwhile crazy expensive NCL excursions). So for us the damage seems limited if you talk dollars.

The good old days that Freestyle meant having a nice glass of wine instead of the current option of no wine or vinegar or 2 or 3 bottles per dinner or lunch is gone. Together with (fill in). Competition is already in place, so as of now we will not consider NCL as peferred option anymore. Is for a company being a preferred option not the sorcerers' stone of the marketing plan?

Although some here may react with the "good riddence", this 35th or so cruise with NCL may very well be the last with NCL, untill new management decides for a less unintellgent make over. On the other hand, reading all the post of the last year on CC, I have the feeling that I am not the only one scratching the head and this change in management may come sooner then I hoped for a few month ago, seeing it going from strange to stupid.

Edited by Aladdin1968