No more "Free Beverage Package" for us

Mikkar

I believe the reference was directed toward tipping the bar staff, not paying above the $15 per drink threshold. Just to be clear - I'm not agreeing with the original sentiment, if that's what it was.

Edit: Nevermind - you're probably right.

Well, yes, we don't mind tipping the bar staff from time to time, but we don't see that as our duty in order to receive things "above and beyond." We have a budget, and the cruise is in most part paid upfront. Extras are allowed for, tipping included, but why should it be necessary if you already paid the gratuities. It seems that the poster who suggests handing extra often to the bartenders, suggests that is the way to win over and above the limitations placed through the UBP. Or is this a misunderstanding?

I know they have a Reisling (just one) available by the glass. Not sure if they kept the Rosemount or the Spatlese...probably the Rosemount. That's definitely under $15.

They also have Inniskillin Icewine, for $17.50 short pour...which means a glass will cost you $2.50 after they knock off $15.

ETA: I found a picture of the latest by-the-glass wine menu on another thread (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2348836):

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160426/5c1c2560716975f9f1f5729244c41ffb.jpg

Thank you.. :) Give me the sweet stuff, ha ha. :) And hubby will be glad it only costs $2.50 a glass.

I am odd and picky on my wine. I purchased multiple "wine diapers" for flying my bottles of wine to my port city. Last cruise I checked a bag with 8 bottles of good red wine. Including corkage, I still paid a similar amount to bottles on the ship. And o got good wine.

And yes. The Reds offered by the glass on NCL are crap by my opinion. I am happy others like them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Well, yes, we don't mind tipping the bar staff from time to time, but we don't see that as our duty in order to receive things "above and beyond." We have a budget, and the cruise is in most part paid upfront. Extras are allowed for, tipping included, but why should it be necessary if you already paid the gratuities. It seems that the poster who suggests handing extra often to the bartenders, suggests that is the way to win over and above the limitations placed through the UBP. Or is this a misunderstanding?

"You dont see that as your duty to recieve things"??? you have got to be kidding me??? Its a cruiseship! Not all of us can always do cruises...THIS is why bartenders and waitstaff on ships are ignorant and pissed off!! You cant be for real. So you got the UBP as a perk and now they owe you something?? OMG no wonder people are complaining on here:rolleyes:

"You dont see that as your duty to recieve things"??? you have got to be kidding me??? Its a cruiseship! Not all of us can always do cruises...THIS is why bartenders and waitstaff on ships are ignorant and pissed off!! You cant be for real. So you got the UBP as a perk and now they owe you something?? OMG no wonder people are complaining on here:rolleyes:

I am afraid I don't understand your reply. I don't understand your hostility either. I did not say what you are implying at all.

I think I had the cab in picture last night 2012 from groc store and it was drinkable. Maybe close to 20 for the bottle so I'm thinking it must be another year or won't last long on offerings.

Uhhhh...that'd be all of the usual big3 mass batch swill lagers that they stock.

All the ships I have been on have the same beer. The best you will get is Stella, Guiness, and Sam Adams on tap or carvial has there red frog but that is red bud light to me. Now I am not into the beers that were stirred in someones bath tub like some of these upstart micro brews try to pass off on you as good beers actually those places I have a hard time drinking any of there beers they are not consistent and not very good. Most of those palces go out of business fast folks do not like paying $7 for a bathtub beer. that being said I do like beers from other countries and I have found some of them on ships I agree they need to add more.

I even buy it when it's not offered as a promo. I guess it all depends how you look at it.

I get it no matter which line I am on. (CCL is the worse) . I like mixed drinks, Shots and beer. My wife like Wine in particular Savanion Blanc. They only had 1 brand of it and it was North and South she did not say much about it but I was sweating if she was going to not like it cause last cruise she drank the Matua brand and liked it better. I do not get why they used to have 3 or 4 for her to choose from and now they have 1.

I think what the poster meant was that when you tip above and beyond the bartenders will let the rules slide, like about how many beers you can get at a time.

For instance, on my last cruise, my favorite bartender let me have the martini flight, which was on the daily as $19.95 and not included in the UBP. I hadn't even asked for it, he just knew I like my flavored martinis and offered.

Makes sense actually. I could have ordered 8 full sized martinis in each of the flavors and drank them one at a time. Why shouldn't I be allowed to have 8 mini-martinis? But that's one way norwegian nickles and dimes.

I can't see how any mixed drink drinkers could be unhappy with the selection on the UBP, it's really just a matter of math and how much you drink.

On my first cruise with the UBP, my husband and I were traveling with friends who are also drinkers and without the UBP we'd have had an easy $2,000 bar tab at the end of it.

On the last one I took my mom and she's not a big drinker, so I didn't drink much either. Still worth the gratuity charge, but had the package not been free I wouldn't have purchased it.

The nice part for me is not having to dread getting that tab at the end of the trip!

Edited by Justaddvodka68

All the ships I have been on have the same beer. The best you will get is Stella, Guiness, and Sam Adams on tap ......

I've never understood why Stella gets such high billing, if you want a continental lager try Kronenbourg or even Carlsberg.

For me, UBP as a perk, even paying the 18%, is great ! G/T or a beer is fine 99% of the time:D

Mrs BamaVol drinks almost nothing but red wine, preferably merlot. She'll drink the one cab or merlot offered by the glass even if she doesn't love it. Too bad they have reduced the selection so drastically. I'm more flexible with my drinks and should be okay. Low expectations after having seen the beer list means I can only be pleased with whatever I get. Both of us will probably opt for afternoon cocktails instead of the usual beer and wine. I hope it costs them extra.

Edited by BamaVol

123e75171a92ee4dc6489f0c3023527c.jpg

I'm probably ok w the cab shown bc drinking it at home (could be different year I know) but I'm surprised they don't price a few better wines at 17 and allow pax to pay a little more and have some variety.

I think I had the cab in picture last night 2012 from groc store and it was drinkable. Maybe close to 20 for the bottle so I'm thinking it must be another year or won't last long on offerings.

We just saw it at Lowes Foods for $12.99. Their wine list is pathetic. [emoji13]

We just saw it at Lowes Foods for $12.99. Their wine list is pathetic. [emoji13]

Was it the 2012 or the 2013? The price seems a little like the 2013. Either way, something that retails for anything over $10 seems better than some of their other selections.

I can be completely happy with a $11/12/$15 bottle of wine from TW&M, not a wine snob by any means, but something that retails around $5 at Costco like Yellowtail (and I have a feeling about North and South but never sampled), tend to taste thin and different from what would expect in a Cab.

I'm guessing you are right, tho, and the Chateau St Jean I'm drinking, looking at the label is "Alexander Valley" and they are likely serving the one with the lower price point. Not that price matters....

It still looks like a bit better Cab than their Red Blend, Malbec, Merlot and Shiraz offerings. It's worth a try but basically I plan on trying a lot of new drinks that are NOT wine so-as not to be disappointed. ;)

http://www.wine.com/v6/Chateau-St-Jean-Alexander-Valley-Cabernet-Sauvignon-2012/wine/150320/Detail.aspx?state=FL&warehouses=FL&s=GoogleBase_CSE_&cid=GoogleBase_CSE_150320_FL_Beta&gclid=CM2KovqCtcwCFYQfhgodWiYPVA

http://www.winetransit.com/chateau-st-jean-california-cabernet-sauvignon-2012-750-ml-26846.html?vfsku=26846&vfsku=26846&gpla=pla&gclid=CObpq4mDtcwCFYwfhgodMjwKPA

Was it the 2012 or the 2013? The price seems a little like the 2013. Either way, something that retails for anything over $10 seems better than some of their other selections.

I can be completely happy with a $11/12/$15 bottle of wine from TW&M, not a wine snob by any means, but something that retails around $5 at Costco like Yellowtail (and I have a feeling about North and South but never sampled), tend to taste thin and different from what would expect in a Cab.

I'm guessing you are right, tho, and the Chateau St Jean I'm drinking, looking at the label is "Alexander Valley" and they are likely serving the one with the lower price point. Not that price matters....

It still looks like a bit better Cab than their Red Blend, Malbec, Merlot and Shiraz offerings. It's worth a try but basically I plan on trying a lot of new drinks that are NOT wine so-as not to be disappointed. ;)

http://www.wine.com/v6/Chateau-St-Jean-Alexander-Valley-Cabernet-Sauvignon-2012/wine/150320/Detail.aspx?state=FL&warehouses=FL&s=GoogleBase_CSE_&cid=GoogleBase_CSE_150320_FL_Beta&gclid=CM2KovqCtcwCFYQfhgodWiYPVA

http://www.winetransit.com/chateau-st-jean-california-cabernet-sauvignon-2012-750-ml-26846.html?vfsku=26846&vfsku=26846&gpla=pla&gclid=CObpq4mDtcwCFYwfhgodMjwKPA

Honestly, I have no idea. While we were there, I pulled up the new wine list to see what they had. This was the only one we could find, but we saw the price and decided it wasn't worth trying. We are wine drinkers and got the UBP for free with our booking. We are trying to decide if we are bringing our own wine or if they have something we can live with for a week. I wouldn't say we are wine snobs either, but definitely prefer more expensive wines. I tend to find cheaper wines seem weak or something. We like several wines, in a range of prices. Our favorite is Caymus Special Selection, but can't afford to drink that often, so it's more our special occasion wine. I also love Baldacci Cabernet Sauvignon and Pina Cab Sauv, and my husband loves Mollydooker. These are all a little pricy to drink all the time, so we also buy some more budget friendly wines. There is a boutique winery, Yonah Mountain Vineyards, a few hours from us (in Ga) that have some really good wines for nearly half the cost. With that said, there are some cheaper wines I can drink, I just don't see any of them on their new wine list. I would much prefer having the option of an upcharge, like RC offers, rather than needing to drag our own bottles with us. We really enjoy a nice red wine with dinner. During the heat of the day I often opt for a fruity, frozen concoction...a Miami Vice or Margarita.

• 2 weeks later...

That has never happened and cannot happen in the current system. No one who has the UBP, whether it was purchased or received as a promo, EVER pays gratuities on drinks on the ship.

Is this correct ?? Don't understand what 18% is referred to .....

Is this correct ?? Don't understand what 18% is referred to .....

There is an 18% gratuity added to the price of each drink purchased on the ship. However, if you buy the UBP, that 18% is charged on the price of the package, so then it's not charged on each drink - it's already paid. Likewise, if you receive UBP as a promo, the 18% on the package price is either charged to you when you make final payment, or else included with the promo (if you're in a suite, or booked through the UK site, or booked a long time ago when it was included with the promo).

Either way, like I said, no one with UBP ever pays the 18% gratuity on drinks while on the ship.

So yes, to answer your question, that statement is correct.

I'm with you OP- the wine you could get by the glass was very limited. They try to push their own brand. The Matua Valley that I do drink on board I was told at all the bars wasn't available, however I observed someone not on the UBP was able to get it by the glass. When I questioned the barman, he then gave me a glass and said he had been instructed to try and get people to drink the NCL brand. Interesting fact - The Matua Valley that sells for $38+ onboard, sells here for around $8 Aus dollars. Around $10 in the US. I've decided to buy my own wine next cruise, pay the corkage and actually drink something I like.

Nice to see an Australian having something good to say about New Zealand!!

Mike

There is an 18% gratuity added to the price of each drink purchased on the ship. However, if you buy the UBP, that 18% is charged on the price of the package, so then it's not charged on each drink - it's already paid. Likewise, if you receive UBP as a promo, the 18% on the package price is either charged to you when you make final payment, or else included with the promo (if you're in a suite, or booked through the UK site, or booked a long time ago when it was included with the promo).

Either way, like I said, no one with UBP ever pays the 18% gratuity on drinks while on the ship.

So yes, to answer your question, that statement is correct.

LrgPizza .. thanks for your quick response; SO -- since we got the UBP as part of our booking promotion, there is no 18% either before, during or after our cruise added to our final statement ?? GREAT !!

(Our current "balance due" amount does NOT make mention of UBP gratuities)

My dh (who will probably have two glasses of wine during the entire trip) was afraid of a daily charge on a "free" benefit :eek::eek:

LrgPizza .. thanks for your quick response; SO -- since we got the UBP as part of our booking promotion, there is no 18% either before, during or after our cruise added to our final statement ?? GREAT !!

(Our current "balance due" amount does NOT make mention of UBP gratuities)

My dh (who will probably have two glasses of wine during the entire trip) was afraid of a daily charge on a "free" benefit :eek::eek:

I didn't say anything about whether or not you would have to pay the 18% before - some do, some don't. My post you quoted said that no one with UBP would have to pay 18% for each drink on the ship. That is true. If you want to post your account statement here, I can look at it for you and tell you if you have to pay it before your cruise. If it was charged on your promo, it would show up along with your final payment owed on the cruise.

LrgPizza: Again my thanks for your posting; I have called NCL and to be honest....I am still confused :confused::confused:

My basic & easy question ( will I have to pay a "mandatory" 18% on my "free promotion" -- regardless of how much I do or don't order ) seems to have many different answers :eek::eek:

Wondering if we could opt out of this "generous" NCL gift :rolleyes::rolleyes:

BettyNL