No more "Free Beverage Package" for us

Mikkar

I have called NCL and to be honest....I am still confused :confused::confused:
When did you book? Are you in a suite? What does your booking confirmation from NCL say?

Despite what many still seem to believe, there are no hidden charges that suddenly appear after you book. The 18% service charge will be there in black and white if you have to pay it. If it's not there, you don't have to pay it. If you tell us more about your booking, we can try to explain why you are or are not responsible for paying the charge, but it should be very easy for you to determine if you are responsible for it or not.

LrgPizza: Again my thanks for your posting; I have called NCL and to be honest....I am still confused :confused::confused:

My basic & easy question ( will I have to pay a "mandatory" 18% on my "free promotion" -- regardless of how much I do or don't order ) seems to have many different answers :eek::eek:

Wondering if we could opt out of this "generous" NCL gift :rolleyes::rolleyes:

BettyNL

The.n my original post you quoted had nothing to do with that, so I have no clue why you quoted me.

As far as an answer to your question, if you have to pay it, you would have already been charged, and can already see the charge. No one else can look for you. You will have to look. There won't be any surprises. The absolute latest you would pay the 18% would be when you make final payment.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The Cellar's is branded with "A Michael Mondavi Family Wine Bar". I've wondered - is he just a descendant of the well-known Mondavi clan? His website makes it sound like he has a rather small family venture.

Disclaimer: I know nothing.

It is. He used to be President of Robert Mondavi, but then bought his own winery.

Darn you guys. Now I'm into my second glass of Casillero del Diablo Cab. :p

Love Casillero del Diablo Cab. Their Sauvignon Blanc isn't horrible either. We passed their vineyard between Santiago & Valparaiso last month.

Stephen

hawkeyetlse ..Thanks for your response:

Booked -- October, 2015

Category -- SF

No mention of any additional charges / fees on booking confirmation !!

SO, guess we are good to go --- or drink :eek:

BettyNL

This is from the Apr 30 - May 7 sailing of Escape. I was pleasantly surprised by the choice.

DSC01079_zpshkj6ygrg.jpg

Vic

For those who want to pay a few bucks more and get better wine on Escape, here's an example.

http://www.leisers.com/items/detail?itemid=557821

Stags' Leap around 20-24 per bottle sells for $19.50 per glass. With the package you'd pay the amount over 15 + 18% gratuity. So 4.5*1.18= 5.31. Too bad it's not $2 or $3 more but it is what it is, at least there is an avenue for better wine by the glass.

• 2 months later...
First, I'd like to thank the OP for this thread. To get the best value for our money in all aspects of life we must be given access to information to be able to make the best choices for ourselves. The OP wanted to let others know of her experience as a wine drinker and due to the limited/restricted choices offered during her cruise, she felt the UBP was not the best value for her. She wanted to pass this information along to allow others access to information to make their own decisions. Why this has turned into a "why didn't she just drink shots, mixed drinks, beer to receive a better value" discussion is beyond me. She is a WINE drinker.

Secondly, I experienced a a huge reduction of wine choices as well on our cruise in March. After reading this thread, I decided to do more digging into the NCL wines included in the UBP. The links are provided below.

As posted by NCL,on their website in 6/15, there were 41 wines by the glass being offered with the UBP. They were categorized as White, Red and Dessert. https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/WineList_Fleetwide_07092015.pdf

On February 27, 2016 as posted on Cruise Critic, there are photos showing the NCL wine menus. The category types have changed to Whites Sparkling, Sweet Off Dry, Light, Medium and Full. Reds Light, Medium and Full. There are now 7 White Wines to choose from versus 20 in 2015 and 7 Red Wines to choose from vs 20 in 2015. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=49227301&postcount=37. The UBP selection has been cut by nearly 2/3rds. There are zero options under the UBP if your preference is a White or a REd Medium or Full Intensity wine. ZERO choices for free under the UBP.

If you are a wine lover and enjoy trying different wines based on the food selection, or your mood or for whatever reason, picking the UBP will greatly reduce the value you will receive from this selection. Yes, there is the options of purchasing a bottle of wine with a percentage discount, but you have already "paid" for "free wine" and purchasing a bottle comes with additional costs to your shipboard account.

Going back to my personal cruise experience in March: We are NCL suite cruisers and although I was offered the "free" wine in the suite dining, I pressed to see the wine list and once presented with it, saw for myself the limited choices. My preference was no longer allowed on the plan but our server sought out different wines that she thought I would enjoy as a replacement. I found one that was fine, but it was not my first choice, as it was for two weeks we spent cruising in December. Again, thank you OP, for allowing us to take your experience and seek out information on our to make our own decisions to receive the best value!

We have the beverage package in about a month on the Sun and I find that full bodied reds are not included. I love full bodied Cab. Also, no full bodied Chardonnay! Leave it to NCL to screw up what started as a good deal.

Imagine if you were a beer geek and had to settle for what they serve on the ship.

My dd drinks IPOs and craft beers. Does the Breakaway serve any kind of beer like this?

How about Red Stripe (for my son).

My dd drinks IPOs and craft beers. Does the Breakaway serve any kind of beer like this?

How about Red Stripe (for my son).

Blue Moons the nearest you will get .. To be fair its a v good Belgian style cloudy wheat beer

We just returned on Sunday from a 7 day cruise on the Breakaway that we had booked with the free internet package and free beverage package. We have sailed quite a few times on the Breakaway and have booked the free beverage package since Norwegian started offering it. After this last cruise, we probably will not choose this package again. Originally, it was truly free because it included gratuities and there were many different drinks to choose from and I usually chose the Mondavi Chardonnay. On this cruise, there was only one chardonnay available by the glass, Meridian brand, which I didn't care for. This brand used to be the least expensive chardonnay that was available and now it's the premium and they have an even cheaper house wine. I met with the beverage manager and he said that this is what corporate wants them to serve and that I could buy the Mondavi chardonnay by the bottle and I would get 20% off because I had the beverage package. I did buy 2 bottles which ended up costing approx. $38.00 for the wine and the auto gratuity. I think that Norwegian has downgraded the brands that they serve to offset the cost of offering the free beverage package. Plus, I paid $80 each for my husband and myself for the beverage service charge for this package. For this amount, I can bring the wine that I want with me and pay the corkage fee. I was unaware of the changes that Norwegian had made and want to let others know.

We had a great time and will sail on the Breakaway again but will select a different package next time.

like anything that starts off good and then slowly gets scaled back..the beverage package is still pretty good for non concerning beer drinkers..but for the mature pallet...the wine and the brands of premium vodka, gin, and whisky has been a smidgen disappointing..im sure there will be new "levels" of the beverage package...NCL will still make their money..but you have to remember that the wholesale cost of buying wine and booze continues to go up every year..

side note...i actually believe for the quality of the internet offered it should be "free" fleet wide effective immediately..

just my two cents...

Best,

Mark

I don't think I would even consider a beverage package on any cruise line if I were someone who sticks with one type of drink or, especially, brand.

Not being a particularly heavy drinker, for me the allure of a beverage package is being able to try many different beverages without feeling obligated to finish a drink I don't care for. (waste-not, want-not mentality of my generation, I guess).

I don't think I would even consider a beverage package on any cruise line if I were someone who sticks with one type of drink or, especially, brand.

I agree. If someone thinks that any cruise line is going to stock every brand of liquor or beer, I've got some prime ocean front property to sell them in Arizona. There is just so much room to store items and they can't carry everything, so they are going to carry the items that they can turn over and over again. If folks didn't drink certain items, I'd bet it would drop off the list pretty quick, but as long as they are drink it......

like anything that starts off good and then slowly gets scaled back..the beverage package is still pretty good for non concerning beer drinkers..but for the mature pallet...the wine and the brands of premium vodka, gin, and whisky has been a smidgen disappointing..im sure there will be new "levels" of the beverage package...NCL will still make their money..but you have to remember that the wholesale cost of buying wine and booze continues to go up every year..

side note...i actually believe for the quality of the internet offered it should be "free" fleet wide effective immediately..

just my two cents...

Best,

Mark

I have no allegiance to any line, and as far as beer, I'm fine with what they carry on most ships. Coors, corona, blue moon, etc. Would I enjoy trying some new and diff beers, sure.

As far as the booze though, what is wrong with Grey Goose including some flavored options, and same question for bombay sapphire?

Maybe someone should come up with a craft beer cruise, might do well.

Maybe someone should come up with a craft beer cruise, might do well.

You might want to try Celebrity. Here is some information on their Gastrobar:

Gastrobar

Comfort food and craft beer enthusiasts can unite to try over 40 handcrafted boutique beer selections, creative cocktails and a wide selection of a la carte, gourmet comfort food and bar bites that are so satisfying you could make a meal of them. If you prefer wine with your eats, Gastrobar offers an impressive selection by the glass or bottle. With inviting entertainment and great music, Gastrobar offers an atmosphere of casual sophistication.

Gastrobar

Comfort food and craft beer enthusiasts can unite to try over 40 handcrafted boutique beer selections, creative cocktails and a wide selection of a la carte, gourmet comfort food and bar bites that are so satisfying you could make a meal of them. If you prefer wine with your eats, Gastrobar offers an impressive selection by the glass or bottle. With inviting entertainment and great music, Gastrobar offers an atmosphere of casual sophistication.

Well it seems my idea has been taken already haha

Personally I couldn't care less. I drink liquor mostly and i'm very excited to be able to drink goose l'orange all week. An iice cold corona or coors light is also fine for me.

I usually do all inclusive resorts in the dominican republic which include presidente as the only beer and most liquors are domestic and not names we usually have here. But the bottled water and sodas are unlimited and they treat me like a king every time.

Gastrobar

would bud light be one of those. ;)

Gastrobar

Hals newest ship, Celeb and even Costa have them

All the above reasons I didn't get the UBP. I brought my own wine and paid the corkage fee upfront. It was the wine I enjoyed (I don't care for the ones on board ). In fact I ended up not using one bottle of wine and was refunded the corkage fee.

What I paid for the wine at Costco + corkage fee by NCL was by FAR the best and logical and economical option for me !

All the above reasons I didn't get the UBP. I brought my own wine and paid the corkage fee upfront. It was the wine I enjoyed (I don't care for the ones on board ). In fact I ended up not using one bottle of wine and was refunded the corkage fee.

What I paid for the wine at Costco + corkage fee by NCL was by FAR the best and logical and economical option for me !

wait until you can't even take wine on board anymore.....for security reasons of course. ;)

Wine is all about how it taste to you. A cheap wine is just as good as a expensive wine. Most of us wouldn't know the difference if you lined up different glasses. Just my opinion since I have taken a few courses and seen how people who thought that they knew wines reacted after their tastings.

That's why I love my $7 to $15 Kirkland wine. Better then random $30 retail $50 on the ship.

The wine on the ship sucks a$$

Well it seems my idea has been taken already haha

Personally I couldn't care less. I drink liquor mostly and i'm very excited to be able to drink goose l'orange all week. An iice cold corona or coors light is also fine for me.

I usually do all inclusive resorts in the dominican republic which include presidente as the only beer and most liquors are domestic and not names we usually have here. But the bottled water and sodas are unlimited and they treat me like a king every time.

The only way you'll be able to drink Goose L'orange all week is if you pony up extra money each time. Just off of the Escape and even though regular Goose is still covered under the UBP, the flavored varieties as well as Patron Silver and Tangueray Ten are all now 16.95, so it'll be 2.31 extra per drink. What really does not make sense is that all three flavored varieties as well as regular Goose all cost the same in the duty free shop.

Edited by SNJCruisers