waiver to drink for 20 yr old

They will gladly serve your under 21 child at most any bar in the Caribbean.

Correct. I believe most of the Caribbean Islands have a drinking age of 16. DD, at age 20, got a kick out of buying beers for her and her dad in St. Maarten.

As European I am amazed at the number of Americans that get upset at under 21s drinking but are quite happy to let them use handguns.

If you want to compare gun deaths in the states for under 21s to those in Europe you might get a nasty shock.

As an American, I am amazed that Europeans can't keep on topic. :rolleyes:

Our nearly 21 yr old couldn't have a drink on our recent cruise out of Miami - but has been drinking legally for nearly 3 years here at home

and you know what - she actually didn't miss it at all. She got the package that had non-alcohol cocktails, fancy coffee etc. and enjoyed herself a lot.

Different places have different age limits, as well as ideas about what is acceptable behaviour/dress and what isn't. It's just for the best to stick to the laws of where you are going and then do what you are allowed to do home- when you get back there. :D

This is one the most pathetic examples I've seen on CC for some time of changing the subject and bringing up irrelevant tangents........:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: A truly absurd post.

lmao i totally agree... i was the original poster and just asked a simple question. my son will be 21 in july but we sail in may... he was in europe last thanksgiving and DR this spring break and enjoyed many few beers on these vacations responsibly. :eek: i'll buy him beers and he will enjoy them on our balcony with his dad... when we are in port, he can buy us back.... :cool:

I think the drinking age thing is kind of dumb (on a ship). They sail specifically outside of the borders so they can allow gambling, sell stuff without tax, and other things. Why is the drinking age so special. I could see not allowing drinking while in ports (like they charge tax on drinks while in port).

Maybe it's just too confusing to keep track of?

Tom

lmao i totally agree... i was the original poster and just asked a simple question. my son will be 21 in july but we sail in may... he was in europe last thanksgiving and DR this spring break and enjoyed many few beers on these vacations responsibly. :eek: i'll buy him beers and he will enjoy them on our balcony with his dad... when we are in port, he can buy us back.... :cool:

Unfortunately a lot of simple questions ( yes or no ) turn into all sorts of B.S on here. :)

Sounds like the perfect solution:)

i know on NCL i was able to sign a waiver for my son to drink beer even though he was under 21. Does RCCL do the same ?

NO.. The person in question has to be 21, legal drinking age for RCCL, prior to departure..

As European I am amazed at the number of Americans that get upset at under 21s drinking but are quite happy to let them use handguns.

If you want to compare gun deaths in the states for under 21s to those in Europe you might get a nasty shock.

One of the most ignorant posts I've ever seen!....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Edited by Thetrail

I think the drinking age thing is kind of dumb (on a ship). They sail specifically outside of the borders so they can allow gambling, sell stuff without tax, and other things. Why is the drinking age so special. I could see not allowing drinking while in ports (like they charge tax on drinks while in port).

Tom

My guess would be it would be because so many 18-20 year olds from the US do not know how to drink responsibly/safely, and they want to avoid as many issues with that was they can. There will still be older idiots--but hopefully smaller percentages. Maybe? that is my guess as to the reason anyway.

Our nearly 21 yr old couldn't have a drink on our recent cruise out of Miami - but has been drinking legally for nearly 3 years here at home

and you know what - she actually didn't miss it at all. She got the package that had non-alcohol cocktails, fancy coffee etc. and enjoyed herself a lot.

Different places have different age limits, as well as ideas about what is acceptable behaviour/dress and what isn't. It's just for the best to stick to the laws of where you are going and then do what you are allowed to do home- when you get back there. :D

My DD did not miss it much on our one RCI cruise which left from the US (a Transatlantic)---but my husband missed having someone to share a bottle of wine with at dinner (I don't care for it) and it doe seem kind of silly not to be able to drink wine at dinner with your family.

Meanwhile, it was usually offered to our kids by the waitstaff in Chops when we sailed in Europe even when they were 15-16 or so (and DD would then have a glass---DS is like me and would rather have water or soda).

I would hope it would not make or break anyone's vacation---but then again how many people over 21 would choose to sail a line which did not serve alcohol at all? I bet that would not go over well . . .

Edited by NHDisneylover

Excellent statement.

Tom

It could be as simple as they've learned from previous bad experiences.