Can´t decide what to do in Napoli ...

Josu01

Naples is the first port in my upcoming Mediterranean cruise out of Barcelona on the Norwegian Epic (July 24th).

One thing for sure is that I want to go to Pompeii. So, I am considering my options on what to do, but I really can't decide.

a) I had thought about taking NCL's Pompeii tour and then spend the rest of the day in Naples, and go to the Archeological museum ... but, I think we'll be there on a Tuesday, and the museum closes on Tuesdays :mad: ... so, no Museo Archeologico for me this time.

b) How about taking NCL's Pompeii tour in the morning, and THEN take NCL's tour to Herculaneum in the afternoon... has anybody done this? Is it too much for one day? :confused:

c) There's another NCL tour with Pompeii and a hike on Vesuvius, anyone can recommend this?

d) and finally, a NCL Pompeii and Amalfi coast (or Sorrento) tour.

For all of you who have already been in Napoli, if this was your first time there, what would you choose? All suggestions welcome! :)

I am very interested in all of the Roman ruins around the area of Naples, but I'm sort of the outlier in that regard. So although I'd choose to do the Pompeii and Herculaneum tours, I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for others. They are both very amazing and unique sites, however.

Most people would probably recommend the Pompeii + Amalfi Coast. I find that a lot for a day. But I wouldn't recommend doing it on a ship tour, as they will not be able to actually get into some of the charming towns (e.g., Positano) with a large bus.

You would probably do better with a customized private tour, like with the wonderful Rome in Limo. If you want Pompeii and Amalfi, great. Or, you could do Pompeii, Herculaneum and other Naples sites.

In any even, a private tour would be a better and more organized use of your time.

I have been to Naples on Epic two times. My favorite was the NCL tour to Pompeii, Sorrento and Capri. It was a very long day but amazing!!! I loved seeing Sorrento so much that this past October my DH and I spent 8 days in Sorrento. Pompeii was so fascinating! And Capri is gorgeous.

Have a great time on your cruise!!!

My choice would be the Amalfi coast and Pompeii option. The coast is stunning.

On our first cruise stop in Naples we did Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast. Absolutely an awesome day.

Thanks a lot for your input! this definitely sound like a good full day for an introduction to the area. Seems like a good combination of great scenery and history. :)

I have been to Naples on Epic two times. My favorite was the NCL tour to Pompeii, Sorrento and Capri. ... Have a great time on your cruise!!!

Thank you! I will definitely do my best to have a great time :)

I am very interested in all of the Roman ruins around the area of Naples, but I'm sort of the outlier in that regard. So although I'd choose to do the Pompeii and Herculaneum tours, I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for others. They are both very amazing and unique sites, however.

I also like to visit historic sites, and Pompeii has always fascinated me. Initially I thought about doing both sites on the same day, but I don't know if at the end of the day it could be too much, and I wouldn't properly appreciate Herculaneum.

One thing is certain, one needs a second visit with more time to begin to appreciate this area ... which is a good excuse for a return visit in the future :D

You would probably do better with a customized private tour, like with the wonderful Rome in Limo. If you want Pompeii and Amalfi, great. Or, you could do Pompeii, Herculaneum and other Naples sites.

In any even, a private tour would be a better and more organized use of your time.

Thanks for the suggestion, I had not considered a private tour. This is something worth looking into, especially since it's only 12 hours in port.

Thanks everyone for your input.

I finally made a decision of what to do during my day in Naples, and I have chosen to visit both Pompeii and Herculaneum, the first in the morning and the second after lunch <<< I guess my studying Latin and my interest in history weighed more in this decision.

I'll visit the Cinque Terre during the stop in Livorno, so, scenic villages by the sea will have to wait until then :)

• 3 weeks later...
I have been to Naples on Epic two times. My favorite was the NCL tour to Pompeii, Sorrento and Capri. It was a very long day but amazing!!! I loved seeing Sorrento so much that this past October my DH and I spent 8 days in Sorrento. Pompeii was so fascinating! And Capri is gorgeous.

Have a great time on your cruise!!!

Hi! I am thinking about this excursion as well on the Celebrity Equinox this July. This starts in Capri then goes to Sorrento and finally Pompeii. Will I get to see the Amalfi Coast in this order? Hard to tell on a map. Thank you!!

Hi! I am thinking about this excursion as well on the Celebrity Equinox this July. This starts in Capri then goes to Sorrento and finally Pompeii. Will I get to see the Amalfi Coast in this order? Hard to tell on a map. Thank you!!

No, the Amalfi Coast is the opposite side of the peninsula from Sorrento.