Tipping the machine?

supermax

On the recent Gateway cruise I saw wine dispersing machines in the Garden Cafe. An attached label said that purchases are subject to the usual 18% gratuity. I get the rationale of tipping servers or housekeepers, but the wine machine? Surely, someone has to exchange the bottles and bring new glasses, but this is definitely not a personal service. I'm just curios what the fellow cruisers think of it.

By the way, the "1/2 glass" from the machine was about 2 oz.

Obviously, we are not talking any real money here, but I think that the urge to penny and dime to death is a bit over the top here. And it also raises the question whether the tips we pay actually go to the hardworking crew members.

Does this machine have a sign stating that a 18% gratuity is being deducted? Can someone PLEASE take a picture of this?

Yes, the sign is there. I had a picture on my phone, but it was stolen in the parking garage in Miami before I could sync the photos.

Obviously, we are not talking any real money here, but I think that the urge to penny and dime to death is a bit over the top here. And it also raises the question whether the tips we pay actually go to the hardworking crew members.

The fact that you are tipping a machine is just more concrete evidence that the "gratuity" is not a gratuity at all and is just an additional revenue generator for NCL.

Does it matter? Honestly...all of you who think this 18% is a tip are missing that it is an additional fee. Think of it like that and you'll have a lot more fun cruising.

Exactly. It's a revenue source for the cruise line. Nothing goes to the crew. Just cash.

On the recent Gateway cruise I saw wine dispersing machines in the Garden Cafe. An attached label said that purchases are subject to the usual 18% gratuity. I get the rationale of tipping servers or housekeepers, but the wine machine? Surely, someone has to exchange the bottles and bring new glasses, but this is definitely not a personal service. I'm just curios what the fellow cruisers think of it.

By the way, the "1/2 glass" from the machine was about 2 oz.

I guarantee you it was not 2 ounces, that is 1/4 cup, basically 2 sips

I could understand it if the 18% went to the crew that were refilling the machine, but it's a maybe/maybe not proposition these days. "It's not a big deal" is exactly what Del Rio wants everyone to think about every charge onboard.

I can't speak for NCL but this came up on a Princess discussion on ship - the net is that the gratuity is there for 2 reasons - 1> to offset the lost revenue from servers who would otherwise handle the drink, and 2> to keep demand on the machines more balanced so people don't overuse them trying to save the gratuity....

I can't speak for NCL but this came up on a Princess discussion on ship - the net is that the gratuity is there for 2 reasons - 1> to offset the lost revenue from servers who would otherwise handle the drink, and 2> to keep demand on the machines more balanced so people don't overuse them trying to save the gratuity....

Understandable, IMO.

Let me guess for a moment - NCL revenue sharing, part of the proceeds go to pay ("subsidize") ("fund") - or substitute whatever descriptive terms that's acceptable - in collecting this 18% additional charge, probably on the advice (legal opinions) of finances with the blessings of legal counsel. NCL levied their administrative allocation for indirect (overhead) costs while the crew "benefited" from the revenue stream. #cough #cough #cough:eek: I should note that the formula or percentage allocated to the crews for their benefits & sharing is, as they said, :rolleyes: - none of our business as we have no say.

Personally, do it the old fashion way, a cash tip - handed in person directly to the steward - is one of the best way we preferred, eliminating any indirect charges and overhead costs that management tried to impose. ;)

We don't drink alcohol, of course - no chance of dinging us. Now that a 12 oz. highball glass of soda filled with ice is up to $3.25 plus 18%, "oh honey" - we will just bring our own to the MDR in our insulated tumbler ... until they ban it (or, drink the free water/iced tea.) (Just paid - $1.50 for a 20 oz. bottled soda at a hotel vending machine last week, ice is free and on the side - and, no surcharge for using Android Pay)

So, the 1st reason is that they want to get money for the service without providing the service at all- kind of a "screw you" attitude. The 2nd one is also hard to understand- if they don't want people using the machine why they installed in the first place?

A cup is 8 oz, so 1/4 is 2oz. Quite possible it wasn't even 2oz in the glass- the large curved wine glass was hard to estimate. The level was about two fingers, and my fingers are not bratwurst alike.

Of course it's wonderful

And since I'm not complaining about my choices....wouldn't it be great if everyone did that too instead of complaining about the nickel and dining

Oh, common, it is not the silliest object ever discussed. Should I have waited until Friaday? Furthermore, the question on the purpose of the gratuities is legitimate. On my first cruise in 2003 the passengers personally handed over the envelops to the crew, and now they simply charge your card and you never know where it goes.

Oh, common, it is not the silliest object ever discussed. Should I have waited until Friaday? Furthermore, the question on the purpose of the gratuities is legitimate. On my first cruise in 2003 the passengers personally handed over the envelops to the crew, and now they simply charge your card and you never know where it goes.

Yup it sure has changed. You used to receive envelopes and a sheet with suggested tip amounts. Then they charged the tips to your on board account and you received cards to hand out. Now they have done away with tipping and it is a service charge used to pay salaries and incentives to the employees. Except for extra charged dining and bars, that is now an included 18% gratuity.

A "standard" serving of wine is 5 oz. So a half serving is 2.5 oz.

http://www.aicr.org/press/health-features/health-talk/2014/mar14/wine-serving-size.html?referrer=https://www.google.ca/

It might not be the most reliable source, but many other sources online cite this.

Not what I said. The first one is to be fair to the crew so they don't feel replaced by robots and still get the same amount. As noted, the bar staff is still servicing that machine, glasses are being washed, etc, the only difference is no one is handing you the full glass.

As to the second, it allows them to better handle demand during some peak times in certain venues. They can even provide service when the bars are closed and in locations that many not merit a full service bar at all times.

However, if the wine there was effectively cheaper than the bar, people would of course go there, draining the machines faster and requiring more staff, now uncompensated to keep them filled.

No one is saying its not partially to the advantage of the cruise line, but they aren't trying to screw people either, not with this at least.

So, the 1st reason is that they want to get money for the service without providing the service at all- kind of a "screw you" attitude. The 2nd one is also hard to understand- if they don't want people using the machine why they installed in the first place?

Not what I said. The first one is to be fair to the crew so they don't feel replaced by robots and still get the same amount. As noted, the bar staff is still servicing that machine, glasses are being washed, etc, the only difference is no one is handing you the full glass.

As to the second, it allows them to better handle demand during some peak times in certain venues. They can even provide service when the bars are closed and in locations that many not merit a full service bar at all times.

However, if the wine there was effectively cheaper than the bar, people would of course go there, draining the machines faster and requiring more staff, now uncompensated to keep them filled.

No one is saying its not partially to the advantage of the cruise line, but they aren't trying to screw people either, not with this at least.

I am sure you believe what you posted, but some of us disagree. I have never encountered a vending machine that has a gratuity added to the price.

The fact that you are tipping a machine is just more concrete evidence that the "gratuity" is not a gratuity at all and is just an additional revenue generator for NCL.

If the 18% the machine generates goes to staff who cares.

Do they charge it on the soda machines?

Just curious.