Does RCCL have Marmite?

The marmite debate sounds like the reaction of many north Americans when someone starts in that the cruise buffet should have grits or biscuits with sausage (aka "vomit" for the appearance and taste) gravy.

Unless you are bought up eating the stuff, no mature taste buds would ever want to indulge in eating it.

Marmite...

evil nasty stuff, how could you even suggest it is on the same cruise ship as me??

As soon as I saw that question I thought, oh dear, a Brit asking such a question - how could they? :mad:

Dear friends across the Pond...The great Marmite debate

Marmite should be banned - it is evil stuff and lots of us (sensible) Brits hate it. There are, sadly, some foolish Brits who think its nice...they are weird, and the 'hate Marmite' Brits try not to mix with the 'love Marmite' Brits.

It has divided our fair Country, it has caused families to fall out and never speak again, the first time a poor baby is forced to try it - their face is a picture

So may I suggest next time you meet a Brit on a cruise, ask them if they love or hate Marmite - and then just sit back and enjoy the side show for the next 10mins..

The above, of course, is said in jest...sort of, coz Marmite IS nasty!!:eek::D

Jean

Sounds like the OP did just that!

The marmite debate sounds like the reaction of many north Americans when someone starts in that the cruise buffet should have grits or biscuits with sausage (aka "vomit" for the appearance and taste) gravy.

Unless you are bought up eating the stuff, no mature taste buds would ever want to indulge in eating it.

I don't know what slop you've been fed but my sausage gravy looks NOTHING like vomit!

If any question on CC has been over-answered...

Marmite is made from the excess yeast produced when brewing beer (a good start in my book!). The Guinness factory in Park Royal used to have Marmite lorries going in and out all day. It is a good source of vitamin B. It is regarded as umami in terms of the basic flavours. It is very salty and an acquired taste and absolutely gorgeous! I was brought up on Marmite rusks. Great in a sandwich with strong cheddar cheese.

Oh yeah, that's the best. I was brought up on Marmite. Love it :D

Whoa! I was never brought up on grits and/or biscuits and gravy but I have thoroughly enjoyed it. It might be a heart attack waiting to happen but it was good. Can't say that I've tried marmite but I'm always looking to expand my horizons.

Marmite...

evil nasty stuff, how could you even suggest it is on the same cruise ship as me??

As soon as I saw that question I thought, oh dear, a Brit asking such a question - how could they? :mad:

Dear friends across the Pond...The great Marmite debate

Marmite should be banned - it is evil stuff and lots of us (sensible) Brits hate it. There are, sadly, some foolish Brits who think its nice...they are weird, and the 'hate Marmite' Brits try not to mix with the 'love Marmite' Brits.

It has divided our fair Country, it has caused families to fall out and never speak again, the first time a poor baby is forced to try it - their face is a picture

So may I suggest next time you meet a Brit on a cruise, ask them if they love or hate Marmite - and then just sit back and enjoy the side show for the next 10mins..

The above, of course, is said in jest...sort of, coz Marmite IS nasty!!:eek::D

Jean

Too funny. Thanks for the laugh. :D

I've had it in Australian (Vegemite) spread very thinly with a light hand on buttered toast with hot tea. The butter is the key. It seems the fat helps counter some of the punch. I can eat it, but it definitely tastes better in Australia than Arizona.

Now with the butter it may be palatable.

on toast, with butter. marmite spread really thin. my favourite sandwich is toast plus butter and marmite and freshly sliced tomatoes with a tiny bit of salt.

on sandwiches, with Philly/cream cheese. usually you'll have a sandwich filling like sliced cucumbers too.

hot marmite tea: a dollop in hot water. good thing when you're sick with the flu. vitamins plus liquids.

i use it as a soup base and sometimes when making brown gravy.

in the UK, there are even these snacks called twiglets, think something like cheetos, but instead of bright orange cheese, there's a very thin marmite-flavoured coating.

can really add it to any recipe that calls for salt and pepper. it's got a bit of the taste of both. it's an all-around in the kitchen.

Wow.....now this sounds like a gourmet product! You could almost have me giving it a try on my next cruise. With cream cheese huh?:D

Learn something new every day on CC. I guess I won't be looking for it in the on board jewelry shop! :D

Exactly! I would've guessed that marmite was the newest offering at Diamonds International. :D

Edited by 3CatsInMA

Hi All,

Marmite is the food of gods. My favourite way of eating it is spread on toasted crumpets then put some cheese on top, preferably stilton, put back under the grill to melt the cheese.

A friend of mine, American, came over to visit and stayed at our house. One morning he was the first up and decided to make himself some breakfast of just some bread with chocolate spread. Thinking the jar of Marmite was the spread he put a large dollop on his bread and started to eat it. I wish I had seen his face, it must have been a picture.

Pete

Wow.....now this sounds like a gourmet product! You could almost have me giving it a try on my next cruise. With cream cheese huh?:D

marmite and cream cheese on toast is quite nice, yes. just use the tip of your knife. marmite is good in moderation -- i think part of the reason people hate it on first taste is they spread it on thick like butter or peanut butter.

i was reminded after i posted that marmite on toast, then a slice of cheddar and back under the broiler for 30 seconds is also wonderful, especially with some branson pickle on the side.

Marmite and vegimite are not the same. Marmite is UK and Vegimite Australia/ NZ. And they do not taste the same. I LOVE Marmite but cannot stand vegimite. Along with having it on bread or toast ( no butter or margarine as I hate the stuff), I also like it on bread with cheese or with jam. When I have something like eggs or baked beans on toast I also spread marmite on my toast. Tastes. delicious.

MARMITE is the brand name for two similar food spreads: the original British version, since 2000 a Unilever product; and a modified version produced in New Zealand by Sanitarium Health Food Company and distributed in Australia and the Pacific. Marmite is made from yeast extract, a by-product of beer brewing. Other similar products include the Australian Vegemite, which is saltier in taste, the Swiss Cenovis and the German Vitam-R.

The British version of the product is a sticky, dark brown food paste with a distinctive, powerful flavour, which is extremely salty. This distinctive taste is reflected in the British company's marketing slogan: "Love it or hate it." The product's name has entered British English as a metaphor for something that is an acquired taste or tends to polarise opinions.[1]

A version with a different flavour[2] has been manufactured in New Zealand since 1919. This is the only product sold as Marmite in Australia and the Pacific, whereas elsewhere in the world the British version predominates.

VEGEMITE is a dark brown Australian food paste made from leftover brewers' yeast extract with various vegetable and spice additives developed by Cyril P. Callister in Melbourne, Victoria, in 1922.

A spread for sandwiches, toast, crumpets and cracker biscuits as well as a filling for pastries, Vegemite is similar to British, New Zealand and South African Marmite, Australian Promite and MightyMite, Swiss Cenovis. With the brand now owned by American company Mondelēz International, other Australian-owned spreads have entered the market to provide an alternative, such as the yeast-based AussieMite.

Vegemite is salty, slightly bitter, malty, and rich in umami – similar to beef bouillon.

Marmite and vegimite are not the same. Marmite is UK and Vegimite Australia/ NZ. And they do not taste the same. I LOVE Marmite but cannot stand vegimite. Along with having it on bread or toast ( no butter or margarine as I hate the stuff), I also like it on bread with cheese or with jam. When I have something like eggs or baked beans on toast I also spread marmite on my toast. Tastes. delicious.

funny but I am the exact opposite. while not a fan, I can eat vegemite but the marmite made me gag. and I have NICE Brit friends who warned me ahead of time and told me the proper way to 'enjoy' it.