Where can I practice my Viola

AFuncruiser

I am booked on the Elation 10 night cruise April 12th and I would like to practice my Viola. Please is there a suggestion as to where I could do this without disturbing other travelers?

Dennis

Jacksonville, Fl

Perhaps you can ask guest services if you can practice in the show room when no activity is scheduled. It is worth a try. I'm sure there are quests that may enjoy it as well.

Edited by Cruzlover7

I was on the Glory last October. I noticed their was a lounge on one of the decks which was open but not being used during the day. I am sure there are places like this on every ship (including the main theatre sometimes) which are reserved sometimes for private venues but are open other times. I would probably wonder around looking or ask GS.

I'm sure you could inquire with guest services about a lounge that is not in use. The Fantasy class ships also have a conference room on the deck plans. I've never seen an event scheduled there, or actually seen it, as we generally have Any Time Dining, so don't spend much time in the aft dining room (the conference room is located off the back of the dining room on the deck plans.. Although he has a mixed reputation on CC, you might ask John Heald on his FaceBook page. Good luck and enjoy your cruise

A lot of times there are empty lounges that you could probably go to. The night club is usually empty during the day, but I don't know if it is locked or not. The lounge in the back of the ship where they do the comedy shows will usually be empty during the day as well.

My husband was in the carnival legends show a few years ago, someone else in the show said they rehearsed by singing off the front of the ship. I THINK there was a deck right in the front of the ship with no chairs or anything on it that was always empty or had just a few walkers passing by, kind of outside the stake house (I was on pride).

The Carnival FAQ does sort of address this:

Musical Instruments: We will allow musical instruments on board, however, if a noise complaint is received, the instrument will be confiscated by shipboard security and returned to the guest on the morning of debarkation.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2261

I think you may want to contact Carnival ahead of time and make sure there's somewhere you can definitely play this without drawing complaints. Otherwise I think you risk having a complaint and security telling you to desist playing it at all. So you'd have made the effort to get it on the ship, but then just have to leave it in your cabin. Or worse, get it confiscated and subject to who knows what treatment.

I am booked on the Elation 10 night cruise April 12th and I would like to practice my Viola. Please is there a suggestion as to where I could do this without disturbing other travelers?

Dennis

Jacksonville, Fl

I cruise during peak spring break times with full sailings, and can almost always find quiet lounges or decks where there is no one else. I bet one of these places would be fine. If I stumbled on you playing, I'd probably listen for a bit--better than a hairy chest contest on Lido any day. So there's that--you might end up giving an impromptu recital to passersby!

Dennis

Jacksonville, Fl

Try the Cole Porter lounge on Promenade deck aft during the day when it is not used. There is some daytime foot traffic through the lounge by people trying to reach Serenity (people just passing through), but other than the lifeboat drill on embarkation day, it isn't usually used during the day and isn't in an area where you'd disturb anyone.

Dennis

Jacksonville, Fl

I take it you are a professional violist? If I were going on that cruise, we could find a piano and work on some duets! I'm a music professor.

Dennis

Jacksonville, Fl

Have you tried sending an email to John Heald at cclsupport@carnival.com? He should be able to help. He also has a facebook page where you can post your questions for him and he will respond if available..usually early mornings. Please post back here and let us know how everything worked out. I think it would be wonderful if you are able to play your viola on the ship somewhere during your cruise. Good Luck and have a wonderful cruise!

I cruise during peak spring break times with full sailings, and can almost always find quiet lounges or decks where there is no one else. I bet one of these places would be fine. If I stumbled on you playing, I'd probably listen for a bit--better than a hairy chest contest on Lido any day. So there's that--you might end up giving an impromptu recital to passersby!

I would love being a passer-by. If you asked my guess is you play well in an orchestra or quartet at home..or are a fairly good player to practice in a cruise.

I really like violetsmile's comment too and you might ring a bell for the Cruise line...get more live music!! go back to small real orchestra..that was so special to me. I guess even though lousy,,,playing flute in high school gave me appreciation.

As several have suggested, you may be able to practice in an unused lounge or show room. During the day, several of these rooms may be empty and unused. No harm in asking them if you can! And I can't imagine it would bother anyone.

I wouldn't suggest practicing in your room or playing Fortissimo, but it's not as though you're taking a Trombone with you.

I wouldn't suggest practicing in your room or playing Fortissimo, but it's not as though you're taking a Trombone with you.

Actually, several years ago on Elation DH and I stopped and listened to a guy sitting on his balcony playing the tuba.

It sounded wonderful, really.

Dennis

Jacksonville, Fl

I play cello. Would sure like to find two violinists so we could play some quartets. I recommend we start with the Haydn.

I take it you are a professional violist? If I were going on that cruise, we could find a piano and work on some duets! I'm a music professor.

I play cello and having someone to play trios would make the best cruise ever.

Dennis

Jacksonville, Fl

here is the issue in my opinion. If you take it, there will be a risk. If they get one complaint no matter where you play it, the Viola will be confiscated and not given back until the end of the cruise. Now, I am no expert but I dont think they will be keeping in in conditions that would be conducive to that type of instrument. Also - I have heard stories of them 'losing' items (and you wont get the value of the Viola in insurance)

so basically your risk is out there. I would think there would need to be HUGE reason for you to take such a risk

here is the issue in my opinion. If you take it, there will be a risk. If they get one complaint no matter where you play it, the Viola will be confiscated and not given back until the end of the cruise. Now, I am no expert but I dont think they will be keeping in in conditions that would be conducive to that type of instrument. Also - I have heard stories of them 'losing' items (and you wont get the value of the Viola in insurance)

so basically your risk is out there. I would think there would need to be HUGE reason for you to take such a risk

Good advice! Sometimes it pays off to take a vacation from everything in your normal life.

Why would they confiscate an instrument after one complaint? Wouldn't they be more likely to tell you that there were complaints, and if we get another complaint, we'll have to confiscate the viola? Surely you'd have a claim if Carnival took an instrument that they allowed you to bring on board and then something happens. The stories I've heard about confiscated items involve smuggled items that are prohibited, so I suppose less care might be given to contraband. Either way the OP seems to have already decided to bring the viola, and just wants a practice location.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Why would they confiscate an instrument after one complaint? Wouldn't they be more likely to tell you that there were complaints, and if we get another complaint, we'll have to confiscate the viola? Surely you'd have a claim if Carnival took an instrument that they allowed you to bring on board and then something happens. The stories I've heard about confiscated items involve smuggled items that are prohibited, so I suppose less care might be given to contraband. Either way the OP seems to have already decided to bring the viola, and just wants a practice location.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

you would have absolutely no claim. Here are their rules.

Musical Instruments: We will allow musical instruments on board, however, if a noise complaint is received, the instrument will be confiscated by shipboard security and returned to the guest on the morning of debarkation.

Edited by hftmrock