Where can I practice my Viola

AFuncruiser

If it were me, I'd rather ask forgiveness than permission. As long as Dennis uses common sense and is respectful of others, there shouldn't be a problem. Using an empty lounge during the day shouldn't be a problem. I've sailed on Elation several times and there's never anything going on in the Cole Porter lounge during the day with the exception of embarkation day. And obviously Dennis is trying to do the right thing by seeking out the best options in advance.

I am booked on the Elation 10 night cruise April 12th and I would like to practice my Viola. Please is there a suggestion as to where I could do this without disturbing other travelers?

Dennis

Jacksonville, Fl

You must be getting bored after 25 Carnival cruises and feel the need to bring an instrument (if the question is real). After all these cruises, you know the layouts of ships.

If we ever hit an iceberg I am glad there will be string music onboard to calm me...I don't want to be listening to slide dance music..

This is EXACTLY what this post made me think of.:D:D

While orchestra music is not my cup of a tea on a Caribbean cruise, I am sure the OP can find a lounge or club that is empty during the day, to practice.

Me? Steel drums sailing through the Caribbean.:D:D

You want to use some out of the way, unused lounge to practice? Fine, go for it. But if I'm resting on my balcony and someone decided to serenade me with viola or tuba music, I would be filing a complaint. I have enough courtesy to not force my music on someone else by using earbuds, why should someone else force their music on me?

You want to use some out of the way, unused lounge to practice? Fine, go for it. But if I'm resting on my balcony and someone decided to serenade me with viola or tuba music, I would be filing a complaint. I have enough courtesy to not force my music on someone else by using earbuds, why should someone else force their music on me?

I agree!

Hopefully he would not take his viola out on the balcony, as I completely agree with you.

I've read where people say they bring along a little speaker to listen to their music out on their balcony and I would hate to hear that as well.

If I want to listen to my own music I definitely use headphone/earbuds. What one person thinks is "music" another might think is "crap." I don't want to bother anyone else with my music and I don't want to be bothered by theirs, from a speaker or viola either one. :)

Personally I can't even imagine bringing a musical instrument (guitar, flute, viola, whatever) onboard a ship and wanting to play it. I played flute in high school but never even considered taking it on vacation with me.

Edited by Yvonne

agreed

Best place to practice is in your cabin.

Everybody is assuming he. Or she can use any vacant lounge etc. I wouldn't bet on it. I would believe you can get the best information from carnival directly not here on boards where many people do anything they can to circumvent the rules or think rules don't apply to them!

Are you sure they'll even let a viola on board?

I seem to remember awhile back

where someone asked about bringing his guitar with him

and the answer was a No. :eek:

For your sake, I hope I'm wrong, but I'd ask if violas (and guitars)

are cool to have on board.

Ships have weird rules,

like no guns, knives, or machetes over 40 ins. in length :D

But why? They allow the instruments on board.

they can bring it on board. but if anyone complains at any time, they will confiscate it until the end of the cruise. soooo is it worth the risk. who knows exactly how they will store it

Apparently you have cruised on Carnival many times so I'm sure you are familiar with the areas that might accommodate your practicing.

However, just to be on the safe side, I would suggest that you leave your instrument at home and enjoy your cruise.

John H mentioned you in one of his blogs this morning. Good luck in getting it worked out

I no longer see carnival from my condo front porch :(

I'm still not sure about this viola thing. Is he going to fly this thing to PR, tote it around before boarding just so he can "practice" on his way to Jacksonville?

People keep asking for live music to return. Put a chair on the Lido, toss a hat on the floor, and practice right there. Maybe you make enough tips to buy a few drinks each day.

Feel free to ignore those who don't understand why practicing a musical instrument is relaxing...maybe more relaxing at times than a vacation. They obviously aren't musicians. :P

People keep asking for live music to return. Put a chair on the Lido, toss a hat on the floor, and practice right there. Maybe you make enough tips to buy a few drinks each day.

Feel free to ignore those who don't understand why practicing a musical instrument is relaxing...maybe more relaxing at times than a vacation. They obviously aren't musicians. :P

I'm not saying it isn't relaxing for THEM - but forcing others to listen to your music isn't necessarily realxing to them. Just have some consideration for others. ..