Cancelled if not paid in full at final payment

july2012

So one of the families on upcoming cruise has paid some but not all of the cruise total, final balance due 4/11. They have said they will need to wait until 15th to pay and believe that since they only have less then half to pay that carnival will not cancel their booking? They said they called in and rep said they could wait until 15th? Does Carnival give payment extension?

I advised it will be cancelled, but looking for feedback here?

So one of the families on upcoming cruise has paid some but not all of the cruise total, final balance due 4/11. They have said they will need to wait until 15th to pay and believe that since they only have less then half to pay that carnival will not cancel their booking? They said they called in and rep said they could wait until 15th? Does Carnival give payment extension?

I advised it will be cancelled, but looking for feedback here?

They have been known to do so. Hope they have documentation of the phone call.

Over the years, I've seen bookings being force canceled without any warning as soon as the final payment date arrives while others have reported that their bookings remained active for a few days past the final payment date.

Keep in mind that if the booking is indeed force canceled after final payment, your friends will forfeit the cancellation penalty. And if they do choose to reinstate their booking, Carnival may allow them to apply the amount already paid to a new booking but it will be at current rates, not at the rate that they secured at the time they made the initial booking.

Best piece of advice that I can give your family members is that they find a way to make the final payment on time if they intend on sailing, whether using a credit card or loan from another family member, just to avoid possible headaches and possibly even more money out of their pockets.

Do have them contact Carnival to see what they can do for them.

They probably have no credit card. Hence request.

True. They could apply for a Carnival one and probably get approved - even if it's a high interest rate if they have bad credit. At least secure the reservation. I can't imagine anyone not having one card for emergencies, but I guess there are those that don't.

True. They could apply for a Carnival one and probably get approved - even if it's a high interest rate if they have bad credit. At least secure the reservation. I can't imagine anyone not having one card for emergencies, but I guess there are those that don't.

We have great credit but no credit cards. We use cash for emergencies.

Good for YOU!!!!! That's wonderful you have cash on hand for emergencies, but you know you are rare, but very smart! I honestly don't know many who are thinking ahead in that way these days, but they should. Quite frankly, so should I. I know if I lost my job I'd be sunk.

I've heard this before and always wondered, why no credit card? If you have the ability to not abuse one, why not have one? I don't see the downside...

I've heard this before and always wondered, why no credit card? If you have the ability to not abuse one, why not have one? I don't see the downside...

I was always taught (and thought) that having one and using it now and again, and paying it off right away, was a wonderful tool to boost your credit score, and will give you better interest rates when you buy a car, house, etc. I have several cards, now all with zero balances, except for one, that I use and pay off every month. And I have a great credit score.

And sorry this post is going way off what the intent was.

To the OP ... I would encourage your friends to find a way to pay it off. They know they will have the money in a week, so hopefully if they don't have a credit card, someone will help them out and get it paid. I would hate for their cruise to be cancelled on them and them having to rebook at a higher rate.

Exactly, why wouldn't use it to increase your credit and reap the rewards from signup bonuses, cash back, etc? Not everyone has credit card debt.

Edited by hotsauce126

Honestly, because I can't trust myself with them. I use my paypal debit card for purchases, but it pulls directly from my business checking account, and I get 2% (grandfathered in) so I get rewards without having a line of credit.

We raised our credit score with car payments and our mortgage.

If that is what the rep told them then that is your answer.

If it's a rep that answered the 1-800 #, I wouldn't take that as the final word.

Remember that you can call 3 different reps & get 3 different answers.

If they called and got an extension from Carnival wouldn't they get a receipt with the new date on it. Or would it show online. If it doesn't then I would be worried and call again until they sent me confirmation.

Thanks for all the replies.

They ended up paying in full on Friday, so did not need the extension. They decided to not take the chances of being cancelled, used a credit card to pay and will pay that right off when paid this Friday.

They wanted to use debit card to make final payment.

Good for YOU!!!!! That's wonderful you have cash on hand for emergencies, but you know you are rare, but very smart! I honestly don't know many who are thinking ahead in that way these days, but they should. Quite frankly, so should I. I know if I lost my job I'd be sunk.

Not all that rare. Given the current economic climate of the world, not just our country, a great many people have opted to forgo credit cards.