Papeete to Los Angeles advice needed.

seaztheday1

We've been coming to French Polynesia for 30+years and are in fact here now. We ONLY fly Air France. Air Tahiti Nui is appalling from cabin crew to cabin maintenance to food etc which makes you wonder about the aircraft itself....Don't have info about the training of pilots on either airline but will tell you, our overall experience on Air France eclipses Air Crappie Nui.

We did French Polynesia on the Marina 2 yrs ago. I can't imagine it is much different now. I'm not sure what negatives you are talking about?

Yes, Air Tahiti Nui is not fabulous. It's a conveyance. When you travel to a very isolated part of the world, you often don't have many choices. Looking back, I certainly don't consider the flights to be important to my impressions of the trip, even if I didn't love the airline.

Yes, there is a lot of snorkeling. I'm a fair skinned red-head. I spend almost no time out in the sun, so my snorkeling experience was limited to one time 10 years ago. That said, we did a lot on the cruise and it was fantastic. It's just so easy there. If you do not snorkel, there were still many tours you could take on the islands, or on boats around the islands.

Yes, there are few options for tours. We went with friends, and on two islands, just got off the ship and picked one of the many operators standing on the pier. They were some of our favorite tours. Fakarava was my all time favorite island because of this. It is practically deserted, the underwater wildlife and coral reef was amazing, the people we met were delightful. We rented a car on one island and just drove around the circumference. We had a few ideas of places we wanted to stop, and also just stopped wherever we fancied. We had a wonderful lunch and beer on a white sand beach hotel that looked like it came straight out of a movie. We did a tour arranged thru the roll call here in Bora Bora. We generally plan every last stop, but in this case, it worked very well to go with the flow.

Bora Bora, while beautiful, was one of my least favorite islands, if only because it is so developed. Lots of expensive hotels. The bathroom at Bloody Mary's was a must do, however. ;)

I do imagine Hawaii may be much of the same, but with more organized tours to chose from, as there is surely more infrastructure there. If you've not been to Hawaii, then the suggestion of a land based tour might be a nice way to break it up, unless you really love the experience of being on the ship itself.

We spent 2 nights on Moorea prior to the cruise, in an OWB. It was a great start to the trip, and really put us in the "island" mentality, which is low key, don't worry how your hair looks, just enjoy nature.

So, again, not sure what the actual negatives are to the trip, unless you don't like pristine nature, great weather, and friendly people.

Edited by ljandgb

Way too expensive and very convoluted, flights , cruise, land.

So the choice is still O, but Marina not available and the Insignia with all the days at sea gives me pause.

The R ships...Insignia being one have a fantastic feel of ocean travel. Not the larger Marina but the smaller more family feel more than compensated.

The first time one should visit Hawaii or Tahiti, indeed any island is by sea, with the feel of anticipation and discovery as you arrive. Beats all to heck arriving in a metal tube....

Been 5 times on large and small each is unique and pleasurable

Paul Gaugin is nice but has one huge drawback, its very small, and you have to fly rt to tahiti which I learned long ago is not fun Get a cruise LA to PPT....for a real thrill. You can fly home. Don't do it the other way .

Paul Gaugin is nice but has one huge drawback, its very small

We would hardly say the PG's size is a drawback. To the contrary. To quote the Paul Gauguin website:

"Designed specifically to glide through the shallow seas of the South Pacific, The Gauguin is the flagship of Paul Gauguin Cruises and a small-ship cruiser’s dream. She delivers travelers to intimate ports inaccessible to larger cruise ships, all the while providing an onboard experience that is nothing short of luxurious."

Hmm...well the only one Oceania is offering is from Papeete to Los Angeles. So no choice there.

Jan 4 2017 La to PPT... via Hawaii. one way fly back Sierna. great time great deal. arrive on a tuesday, spend 3 days on Moorea in an over water at Softel, for $1800 with B fast incl....and grab the 0840 Air France back to LAX all day light, Take the O air credit.

Flying to Tahiti from LAX it makes no difference what airline they all get into PPT earily morning.......eXCEPT O. charter from LAX.... if it is the one that arrives at 9pm and goes direct to the ship...thats totaly great. and with the winds running right they make it in 6.9 hours !!!! On Tahiti Nui

The drawback with Paul Gaugin is not so much the ship it is the having to do the rt from PPT in a 7 to 10 day period.......that is not fun I repeat, sincerely, you dont want to do a rt to Tahiti for a 7 to 10 day cruise..... you want to arrive or leave from Tahiti.... not do both

The best information on guides in French Polynesia is on the Paul Gauguin boards. We sailed on the pg with only private tours. We are not snorkelers. Best cruise we ever took. There is nothing like that ship in that part of the world

Edited by bitob

Jan 4 2017 La to PPT... via Hawaii. one way fly back Sierna. great time great deal. arrive on a tuesday, spend 3 days on Moorea in an over water at Softel, for $1800 with B fast incl....and grab the 0840 Air France back to LAX all day light, Take the O air credit.

Flying to Tahiti from LAX it makes no difference what airline they all get into PPT earily morning.......eXCEPT O. charter from LAX.... if it is the one that arrives at 9pm and goes direct to the ship...thats totaly great. and with the winds running right they make it in 6.9 hours !!!! On Tahiti Nui

Yes this does look good.

Edited by norwegianwood57

We did French Polynesia on the Marina 2 yrs ago. I can't imagine it is much different now. I'm not sure what negatives you are talking about?

Yes, there are few options for tours. We went with friends, and on two islands, just got off the ship and picked one of the many operators standing on the pier. They were some of our favorite tours. Fakarava was my all time favorite island because of this. It is practically deserted, the underwater wildlife and coral reef was amazing, the people we met were delightful.

I set this tour up on Fakarava and it took 6 months of pre planning.... you wont find grab and go there there was only 1 snorkel operator/dive and the blue lagoon picknick...so be warned*********

We rented a car on one island and just drove around the circumference. We had a few ideas of places we wanted to stop, and also just stopped wherever we fancied. We had a wonderful lunch and beer on a white sand beach hotel that looked like it came straight out of a movie. ( moorea) We did a tour arranged thru the roll call here in Bora Bora. We generally plan every last stop, but in this case, it worked very well to go with the flow. ******

Only Moorea, Tahiti and Raitiea and Bora can you do this and pay over the top on Bora

Again , I set up this tour on Bora, a jet ski tour... there are only 12 of them...not tours but jetskis in the whole place and again if you dont want to pay 400 pp you need to book 6 months in advance...My party had over the 12, so I, having done this 2 times,,, bowed out.... Bora has more tours to the other places than you can think of...every guy with a boat that floats from nearby islands heads over... The tours, all of them "all go to the same places just with different guys." The big name tour guy is a broker and he assigns you to one of his sub contractors... You can pick these up on the shore from the guys he didnt have booking for.... $35 for 6 of us snorkel and swim with the sharks you can spend $15 pp or $150 for the same tour... Bora is a capitalist atoll and highly skilled at seperating you from as much money as possible.....bargin at the Visitor center where you arrive.*******

Bora Bora, while beautiful, was one of my least favorite islands, if only because it is so developed. Lots of expensive hotels. The bathroom at Bloody Mary's was a must do, however. ;)

.....************

I personally wont set foot in the place, 1, are arrogant and rude,

2 their prices are obscene, ....... and 3 ,and most important they Brag ,about having Jane Fonda as a customer ( you will understand if you have a dd214 from the 60's....>>>>>> can you say "traitor"

I do imagine Hawaii may be much of the same, but with more organized tours to chose from, as there is surely more infrastructure there. If you've not been to Hawaii, then the suggestion of a land based tour might be a nice way to break it up, unless you really love the experience of being on the ship itself.

Having been in Hawaii for 10 years as a NPS Ranger naturalist.... you dont need a guide at all. There are national parks on each island with daily walks and talks..for free, fantastic visitor centers and informational exhibits everywhere...Pearl, Volcanoes, Haleakala, AKAKA, Place Of Refuge

Rent a car and drive around its easy, and the vast number of locals are good at jokes but thats it.... dont waste your money on yarn spinners on home made up thought up history and facts these guys still beleive in Jack and the Beanstalk stick with the National parks and their staffs for free get some knowledge of the real Hawaii ******

We spent 2 nights on Moorea prior to the cruise, in an OWB. It was a great start to the trip, and really put us in the "island" mentality, which is low key, don't worry how your hair looks, just enjoy nature.

The Softel is the hotel for 300-500 you can get an over water...and a beach on Bora make that $1200+

So, again, not sure what the actual negatives are to the trip, unless you don't like pristine nature, great weather, and friendly people.

Seeing Tahiti by ship will cost you 1/2 to 1/3, more than a similiar airfare and cruise from LA would.... 400-1000 rooms, $60 pp dinners $20 fruit juice and I wont get to Liquor.....TAKE the SHIP and save thousands

• 11 months later...
We were also on the '12 sailing on Regatta from Papeete to SF. It was a fabulous trip. We spent a few nights preceding the sailing over on Moorea in an overwater bungalow.....fantastic! But we love snorkeling, the beach and so on. Everything IS very expensive so go into it with that in mind.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

What hotel did you stay in on Moorea for the overnight bungalow?

Sorry did not read AL L posts before,but found out that Air Tahiti does NOT fly back to LA on Sun.nites. O must charter own plane on those nites??

Found reasonable rates for Papeete pre and post on hotel,com

Yes, our O flight was chartered.

We flew in on O charter 3 years ago, at first horrified with middle 2 seats for husband and I. However they had placed everyone so we got 4 seats to ourselves so so it was actually quite nice, and walked right on to ship after arriving at 9 pm, yes a bit hot at arrival and a bit of a wait to get through customs but you can't expect them to put on extra staff for 1 late flight.

The colour of the water is fabulous even if you do not partake in swimming.

Something not to be missed.

No idea of return as we went on to Southampton. (that's right 54 days later we got off)

I didn't find Air Tahiti Nui awful, but they weren't fabulous either. There aren't too many options in that part of the world, I'm afraid. I think our flight, a chartered one, was in the morning. I remember a long wait for ver thorough immigration check, a hot, open air airport, very thorough and eagle eyed security. Not the best travel experience but what can you do?

After reading reviews, got business class seat, will arrive a day early and stay a day late.This way no need for day room either time,little more time and money spent I agree.But this is bucket list cruise and will be retired then. Doubt I ll ever go there again and getting my money s worth. Told Tahiti not the BEST place to spend extra time,but sure I can MANAGE to enjoy myself,haha.

What hotel did you stay in on Moorea for the overnight bungalow?

The best location for a short stay is Softel....they have the best over water rooms and beach on Moorea, also the least expensive by 30-40% The discount going rate for a delux over water is around 700 to 1200 a night and most resorts SOFTEL charged $560. which is pretty cheap. Plan on eating and drinking away from the resorts.. Not because of price but because of service and quality... the resorts offer beautiful rooms....terrible service and even worse meals....

Tahiti is just awful... for over water and beach