Port of Manhattan and Breakaway Check In

rachel_95762

Worst embarkation going on today in Manhattan. Stuck in line because they have halted checking people in because terminal is full. Don't understand the reasoning for halting the checkin. Why not continue checking people in instead of having people trapped in switchback lines? We can't use the restrooms because we are trapped in line. Haven guests are boarding now but we have another hour or two to be able to checkin in let alone board. Don't think we'll be making our 3 o'clock departure time with this mess.

NYC tends to have customs issues, especially on Sunday's. NCL has no say. I remember getting off the ship, and having an hour wait on line at customs, with no bathroom access. They weren't letting folks off of the ship until okay'd by customs, because there was no room.

There is also a run through the Lincoln Tunnel today - don't know if that impacted anything.

We flew into Newark this morning and didn't have any traffic problems at all. The announcer said the ship was late getting back to port this morning and that was what was causing the problem.

My complaint was them stopping checking people in. That left everyone in line trapped. Getting people on board is much quicker than checking people in. By the time we checked in they were clearing group 24 to board.

I got off the breakaway today and can give some insight on the problems with embarkation today. First the ship was supposed to get into port at 5 am, but was delayed because of rough seas and didn't dock until 8 am. This lead to a huge delay, as walk offs didn't begin to leave the ship till around 830. My luggage tag time was supposed to disembark at 9:15 but didn't get called till 10 and we didn't get through customs till 11:45.

These delays on the ship is what lead to the delays for all passengers getting on the ship.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

BA was not really late, it arrived 11:45 this morning, UTC time or 7:45 EDT at Pier 88 + time needed for the vessel to be cleared by local authorities. Disembarkation probably didn't start for the "Express" folks until 8:30 AM or later - but, it was on time and did not do a speedy run at 18 knots coming under the VZ Bridge (sailed in the harbor at 13 knots as I did tracked it when it came into radar range near Atlantic City, NJ last night. )

With no medical emergencies onboard like previous weeks, there was no reason for the captain to go fast.:D (plus, I see pax just posted - rough seas)

It's natural for folks finishing up their cruise to want to be off & get home, etc. ASAP and for those eager to start their cruise, to get onboard ASAP.

This is a useful lesson and example for those flying home - booking 11 AM flight or even 12 noon flights to say, we've done it - no problem - just book it ... ("we're in our car @ rooftop parking by 8 AM & home at 9:30 AM, etc.)

Hopefully, all those on the BA with flights (trains & buses, too) flying home today made their connections & transfers; and/or have insurance to cover the missed. We're on the road earlier, traffic from points north west & east approaching the pier doing just fine - no major incidents or delays on the GW Bridge, etc.

Safe voyage to those on the BA.

All abroad now, ship is on her way - backup out into the Hudson now on live webcam, turning & will be coming south on the Hudson shortly.