Changing Cabins prior to sailing within 3 weeks of departure

ATL123456

Hi, first timer for HAL. Anyone have any tips on changing cabins 3 weeks out?

Trying to change from VE to VB for better location that was not available when I originally booked.

I'm willing to pay the slight fare difference, but when I called HAL earlier today they said I would have to cancel for a 75% penalty and rebook.

Would it be worth calling the paid upgrade number tomorrow when they are open?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Booked directly with HAL by calling 1-800# - no PCC

Based on that, I would call HAL directly again tomorrow during normal West Coast business hours and try again. With any business like this I like to speak to someone during normal business hours as I feel that this is when the more experienced staff work and you can get better answers. Sometimes the part time (or new) employees do not know all the options and they just tell you the easiest thing.

If you do not get satisfaction, ask to be transferred/assigned to a PCC (personal cruise consultant). I have found them to be more able to assist me (as they know I will likely come back to them).

Edited by DaveOKC

I can't say for certain why HAL won't let you upgrade; however, it could be because of the type of fare grade you originally booked. If you booked on some special discounted fare deal then it may only apply to certain cabin categories and upgrading to a VB category is not allow under your original fare type even with a paid upgrade. So to upgrade you would literally have to cancel and then rebook in a fare basis that would allow you to book a cabin under VB type. If I were you I'd call back HAL and ask to speak to a supervisor and have them explain more clearly your booking situation. Many of the people working the call centers at HAL are just order takers and may not always have a full grabs of all booking situations. This is why using a travel agent or PCC is far better in these situation because they are an advocate for you and have far better understanding of complex fare pricing.

Thanks to all for the insight. Will give them a call again tomorrow!

Will post an update on the results.

I'm ok with existing cabin, but would be happy to pay more for the other. 3 weeks til departure and their seem to be plenty of VB available

Hi, first timer for HAL. Anyone have any tips on changing cabins 3 weeks out?

Trying to change from VE to VB for better location that was not available when I originally booked.

I'm willing to pay the slight fare difference, but when I called HAL earlier today they said I would have to cancel for a 75% penalty and rebook.

Would it be worth calling the paid upgrade number tomorrow when they are open?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

That is correct . If you want to change from a VE to VB it is considered as re-faring. Meaning cancellation fees as per their cancellation schedule.

I changed like that once with Princess . I had bought their insurance which allowed to do that with no penalties.

That is correct . If you want to change from a VE to VB it is considered as re-faring. Meaning cancellation fees as per their cancellation schedule.
Once after we had gotten our assignment about 11 days out I called to try to get a small upgrade (one OV to another OV in a better location) and they had none available, but they did offer a large upgrade (to a suite) at a large price increase ... with no "rebooking" and no cancellation fees. Edited by jtl513

Several times we have changed our cabin shortly before sailing and we have always just paid the difference, no extra charge or fee. Each time we changed from an interior to a balcony.

We tried to move up from OV to lanai on Maasdam about 4 years ago. My TA called, but the lanais were gone. She got a decent price on a move up to a balcony (Vista "suite"), so we made the move. No penalty fees or anything like that. Same reservation number, just a different cabin as far as bookkeeping went.

BUT they lost our dining reservation--early fixed. When we checked in discovered we'd been given late fixed, which we didn't want, and we couldn't get it changed back, When we got to our cabin, somebody else's dinner reservations and bottle of wine were in the cabin. The stewards came and got them when they delivered our own bits of paper. So if you're going to make a change like this, VERIFY EVERYTHING when you make the change and again when you board.

I guess when we got someone else's cabin, we got their dining time. (Sadly we didn't get to keep their wine.) We made the change more than 2 weeks out, so no excuse for HAL to screw up our details.

Thanks again to all for the input

So, I was able to make the change.

Called the 1-800# again today and spoke to a very nice rep who's name sounds like dolly with an M.

She changed the room room with no penalty and I only had to pay the fare difference. I even kept my OBC!

Happy to say I am now in 4164 on the Noordam with the double balcony! This should make Alaska even more beautiful

Thanks again to all for the input

So, I was able to make the change.

Called the 1-800# again today and spoke to a very nice rep who's name sounds like dolly with an M.

She changed the room room with no penalty and I only had to pay the fare difference. I even kept my OBC!

Happy to say I am now in 4164 on the Noordam with the double balcony! This should make Alaska even more beautiful

Thanks for letting us know that it worked out! As I suspected, the weekend staff is not at the same level as those working during the main business hours, so you found someone who knew what to do (and it makes sense that they would do it for you). Most HAL employees are very willing to go the extra mile for you, but there are always a few......