Viking toiletries 2016

id4elizabeth

Thank you, Jeff. I guess I will see if I like it on our river cruise in December. I really liked the l occitane.

You're welcome, and so did I...

My cruise begins in less than a week, so I'll post my thoughts if they have also changed over to Freyja on the Forseti in Bordeaux :)

Jeff

Thank you, Jeff. I guess I will see if I like it on our river cruise in December. I really liked the l occitane.

I had my wife and 2 daughters with me on a Amsterdam to Budapest Viking cruise. Everyone like the lemon/sawgrass? smell and it was frequently used.

A year after our return I ordered bottles from Amazon, and sent them along with little 12 or so pictures from cruise that I printed out and put in a plastic folder.

They enjoyed dad being sappy. :cool:

Finishing up the Danube with Vantage this fall, I'll have to see what they use, think it's L'occitane.

Edited by ural guy

I had my wife and 2 daughters with me on a Amsterdam to Budapest Viking cruise. Everyone like the lemon/sawgrass? smell and it was frequently used.

A year after our return I ordered bottles from Amazon, and sent them along with little 12 or so pictures from cruise that I printed out and put in a plastic folder.

They enjoyed dad being sappy. :cool:

Finishing up the Danube with Vantage this fall, I'll have to see what they use, think it's L'occitane.

L'Occitaine makes Lemon Verbena bath and hair products.....Love the smell!

Carol

I'm looking for the new Freya products, not L'Occitane.

I was hoping to be able to buy some to try before our cruise in August. I have to make sure I don't have allergy issues before I leave my own at home. The L'Occitane was fine - no issues, so I thought I could do with that instead of bringing my own. Now I'm back to the drawing board!

Edited by Cyber Kat

I was hoping to be able to buy some to try before our cruise in August. I have to make sure I don't have allergy issues before I leave my own at home. The L'Occitane was fine - no issues, so I thought I could do with that instead of bringing my own. Now I'm back to the drawing board!

Per my link above, Freyja is made exclusively for Viking, so I doubt that it can be purchased in advance. Maybe Viking could send a sample your way? Worth a try :D

My SIL, who has lots of allergies, was able to talk to a Viking rep and determine that she would be allergic, so she's taking her own. She has been tested, so she knows exactly what chemical components she's allergic to. You could try giving them a call, though I like the idea of asking if they'll send you a sample. Just so you don't wind up looking at the wrong product online, note that the Viking product is Freyja, with a "j" near the end.:) Maybe someone on our roll call could send you a photo of the ingredients? I can try to remember when we leave in a week and half, if that would help, though I tend to be very forgetful these days!:o

My SIL, who has lots of allergies, was able to talk to a Viking rep and determine that she would be allergic, so she's taking her own. She has been tested, so she knows exactly what chemical components she's allergic to. You could try giving them a call, though I like the idea of asking if they'll send you a sample. Just so you don't wind up looking at the wrong product online, note that the Viking product is Freyja, with a "j" near the end.:) Maybe someone on our roll call could send you a photo of the ingredients? I can try to remember when we leave in a week and half, if that would help, though I tend to be very forgetful these days!:o

My allergies aren't severe, just annoying. I didn't want to go through the testing - it can be a pain. I guess I'll just bring my own, I can't see them sending samples out to everyone who wants them. :)

Now that impresses me and not much about that outfit does :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

LOL - I hear a lot of people complaining about Viking and a lot of people who love them. This will be our first with them, and (knock wood :) ) so far so good. Offering to send the samples kind of knocked it out of the park, so far. :D

I just asked where I could purchase them before my cruise and I got a call from them the next day offering to send the samples. Cool!

Freyja products are definitely made exclusively for Viking. On our maiden cruise on the Oceans Viking Star, we listened to a lecture given by Torshein Hagen, the owner, how he specifically designed the tubes of the product so that you could read them without getting out your reading glasses. He also described how they're color coded - one tube is dark blue, another light blue, one white one with a white cap and a white one with a blue cap. Be careful to look at the caps of the white tubes carefully as one is the Hair Conditioner and the other the Body Lotion. The tubes themselves are much larger than you normally get in hotels. On the back of the tubes in fine print it says "exclusively made for Viking" and as I recall it was made in Germany.

As far as the contents of the bottles, they are fine. The scent is very mild, and if you don't have much ability to smell, you might not pick up any fragrance. The shampoo lathers well, the hair conditioner gets out tangles, and the body wash gets you clean. The body lotion is not greasy and sinks in quickly, but in my opinion not all that effective. But to be clear, I have old skin and need more moisture in my body lotion.

My only real disappointment is that I really LOVE the L'Occitane! I use it at home, having first been introduced to it on a river cruise.

Greetings from the Viking Forseti in Bordeaux! They have switched to Freyja and now that I've had a chance to use it, thought I'd give you my $.02.

Freyja is very nice, with a very subtle non-offensive fragrance that most everyone will be okay with. If I were staying in a boutique hotel, they would fit in well. While not the end of the world, I like the L'Occitane better.

Jeff

Chiming in with what is obviously a minority opinion. Although I really like L'Occitane products and use the a lot at home I HATE the Lemon Verbena fragrance ... my daughter says I am crazy but to me it has a very "skunky" smell. I have done several Viking cruises and for the first time I will leave some of the toiletries at home!

Chiming in with what is obviously a minority opinion. Although I really like L'Occitane products and use the a lot at home I HATE the Lemon Verbena fragrance ... my daughter says I am crazy but to me it has a very "skunky" smell. I have done several Viking cruises and for the first time I will leave some of the toiletries at home!

During my trial to see if I could use the L'Occitane - I wasn't wild about the fragrance either, but I'm guessing they wanted something that would appeal to both men and women.

Incidentally, I got an email from Viking - my samples of the Freyja products have shipped :)

UPDATE:

My samples of the Freyja products arrived yesterday in a lovely gift bag with a nice note!

I tried some out - no allergy issues. YAY! I like the very light fragrance much better than the L'Occitane. I'm not a huge fan of lemon verbena - it's okay but it was a bit heavy in their products.

I have to say I'm really impressed with Viking on this. It was above and beyond in my book!

UPDATE:

My samples of the Freyja products arrived yesterday in a lovely gift bag with a nice note!

I tried some out - no allergy issues. YAY! I like the very light fragrance much better than the L'Occitane. I'm not a huge fan of lemon verbena - it's okay but it was a bit heavy in their products.

I have to say I'm really impressed with Viking on this. It was above and beyond in my book!

I'm glad that worked out well for you! When we were on our Viking river cruise last November we had L'Occitane and in January, on Viking Star, the Freyja. They're both nice toiletries but I actually prefer the Freyja because it's more delicately scented. And I think I was getting a little bored of lemon verbena...:p