An open letter to joggers on the Star

Coolwhip82

On Escape, the jogging track is small and is located one deck above the pool deck. So noise is not an issue. However, the paths are heavily travelled during the day, which is why the dailies indicate that the track is closed between the hours of 9:30 AM and 6 PM. Nonetheless, there always seemed to be more than a few people who insisted on doing their marathon training during the day, and would get annoyed when people got in their way.

They did. I'm sure eventually they figured out that people were not going to move out of the way for them.

The RCCL ships have the jogging track on the lower decks - usually the lifeboat level. That makes so much sense. Usually the only folks down there were those walking or jogging.

I was on the Star in February in a family suite, yes this is a long standing problem that NCL is aware of [people not following the rules]. I get up early [0630] so figuring that the track opens at 0800, how bad could it be? First morning, 0430, thump thump thump, yikes! So called down to the front desk, asked for security to inform the runner to hours. Half hour later, still jogging, so I went myself to try to inform him of the hours, and he told me in no uncertain colorful words to leave him alone. So later in the day, went to the hotel director and concierge and they did attempt later through the week by having security up there at 0500, but runners continued by changing their hours, moving the loungers and ropes set up to block off the track, etc. At least they started later in the morning [after 6 and I never had to set my alarm :) ]. Did it ruin my cruise, not at all, was it annoying that people went out of their way to break the rules, yes. After 2 days, there were just a small handful of runners that continued, so some were not aware initially, the ones that continued chose to break the rule. Maybe if NCL charged them for running? Oh no, more nickel and dimeing :)

QUOTE: Seriously, who runs at 11pm on vacation?! You should be at the bar.

(although in all honesty I am not sure why anyone runs without something chasing them)

I agree with this!:rolleyes:

Your gripe is completely valid. Those suites are nice and the jogging track is supposed to be roped off with signs at those hours. I booked one of these staterooms in error, but fortunately I was able to change to another room in the same category well before sailing. If I remember the jogging track is supposed to be closed until 8:00am. 4:00 and 5:00 in the morning is ridiculous. They should ask that the fitness center be opened for them so they can run on treadmills if they need to be running at that time.

I agree, and your Aussie is gorgeous :)

The OP did due diligence and decided that based on the rules and their projected schedule, it would work. It was people not following the rules who caused the issue. If the OP had complained about joggers midday I would have put the onus on them.
I agree with this.

OP stated at opening, "inconsiderate jerks", well I'M not a jogger but here is my two cents. Who in their right mind takes a baby on a cruise!

Lots of people? Our son was 10 months old on our first cruise. He had a wonderful time.

It is great that people want to exercise on their vacation, but it shouldn't be when the space is closed. Why didn't they just break into the fitness area?

People who leave dirty dishes in the hallways instead of their rooms are breaking the rules. People who smoke on the balcony are breaking the rules. People who has UBP and gives free drinks to others without the UBP are breaking the rules. People who let their children not potty trained in the pools are breaking the rules.

Edited by abe3

What's the point? It's a waste of money on something the baby won't remember.
I hear a lot of people saying this, but as a parent, I 100% disagree. The parents are going to remember the cruise, and parents are allowed to enjoy watching their children discover new things.

When my younger child was two, our whole family went on a Disney cruise. I have fond memories of seeing her meet Pluto for the first time, and watched her face light up every time we encountered Pluto that week, whether it was wandering around on the deck, at a scheduled meet and greet, at the dance party in the atrium, or on the private island. She has absolutely no memory of this cruise, but I have the pictures and memories, and I look back on them and smile.

It seems to me that more often than not, people who say "babies don't belong on cruises, they are a waste of money" probably don't have children themselves and feel inconvenienced by the mere thought of babies sharing their space.

People who leave dirty dishes in the hallways instead of their rooms are breaking the rules. People who smoke on the balcony are breaking the rules. People who has UBP and gives free drinks to others without the UBP are breaking the rules. People who let their children not potty trained in the pools are breaking the rules.
The dirty dishes in the hallway is a pet peeve of mine. Since we were on 15 right below the Garden Cafe, I often brought my dishes back up one floor. And after eating there, I almost always brought my dishes to the dirty dish cart myself. I know I didn't "have" to, but it seems to me that so many people treat a cruise like having a personal servant. Just because they are being paid to serve you doesn't mean you can't make their job a little easier.

Now I get that people don't want to do that, and that's perfectly understandable, but I don't get why people can't leave the dishes in their room for the steward to take, and shove them in the hallway like discarded trash. The worst was there were several times I have seen dirty bowls and plates just sitting on the stairs, or in the elevators. Probably left there by teens, but still, I would have hoped their parents would have raised them better.

Edited by blackwing

The dirty dishes in the hallway is a pet peeve of mine. Since we were on 15 right below the Garden Cafe, I often brought my dishes back up one floor. And after eating there, I almost always brought my dishes to the dirty dish cart myself. I know I didn't "have" to, but it seems to me that so many people treat a cruise like having a personal servant. Just because they are being paid to serve you doesn't mean you can't make their job a little easier.

Now I get that people don't want to do that, and that's perfectly understandable, but I don't get why people can't leave the dishes in their room for the steward to take, and shove them in the hallway like discarded trash. The worst was there were several times I have seen dirty bowls and plates just sitting on the stairs, or in the elevators. Probably left there by teens, but still, I would have hoped their parents would have raised them better.

I don't know about anyone else but when I put my dishes in the hallway it's because my steward told me to put them there.

I am a regular runner, and have taken the Baltics cruise on the Star.

I will not go on a cruise ship without a good running track - running at sea is an amazing experience with absolute best experience being in Alaska having whales jump around the Pearl as we navigated northward.

I would not book a cabin under the gym or other heavy traffic area. I'm somewhat surprised to hear about the running track noise because NCL tends to have pretty good tracks and they are infrequently used compared to other venues on the ship.

Many tracks are used as pedestrian access - the Breakaway's track has a corner which is actually shared by an outdoor restaurant/bar.

Walkers (and picture takers) often clog up the running tracks (even though the promenade deck is dedicated for walking only!). That is why you have to run early. I would think it is not prudent to run when it is dark out, but forget 8AM - all of the post breakfast buffet walkers are out in force.

I don't know about anyone else but when I put my dishes in the hallway it's because my steward told me to put them there.

I just think the dirty trays on the floor in the halls are the worst. Yes, I have seen them sit there all day myself. I guess the stewards have no place else to put them. To me its a danger, how many times have you walked down the hall talking to someone not watching where you are going and tripped or hit a tray, especially if they have knives on them, which they probably do.

I have suggested in my surveys, that "if possible" that small carts be placed in corners of hallways, so trays could be put in them and a crew member wheel them into the crew elevator space to be be removed. I even went so far as suggesting, when in drydock, a panel taken out of each section and an inset be made to put these carts in or just a shelf set in to place our trays to keep them off the floor.

Well, it WAS an idea

We experienced the dreaded jogging at all hours on the Star in November. We were in a suite and never in a million years did I think this would be a problem. Never again. These suites should be priced as insides. Not to mention the smoke smell that drifts in every time the door opens due to the smoking section being right there on Deck 12.

...how many times have you walked down the hall talking to someone not watching where you are going and tripped or hit a tray...

Never. Not ever.

As a PP said, I've had stewards ask me to put the tray in the hall. I know it bothers some people, but if that's what the steward asks you to do... It would be nice if they were picked up more frequently though.

Dear inconsiderate jerks*,

There is a reason that the jogging track is only open during certain hours. NCL has this rule in place for a reason. It's a pretty good one too because as you are getting your sweat on at 4:30am, enjoying that runners high, breathing in the fresh salt water air, I am trying to get my baby back to sleep who was rudely awoken by your STOMP, STOMP, STOMP every 2 minutes (hey, good job on that eight minute mile! I am sure those pre-dawn runs are really what was able to help you cut it down...). In other words, the track on deck 13 is located directly over my storeroom on deck 12. Oh, the baby is back to sleep? STOMP, STOMP, STOMP, here comes another one at 5am, and 5:15, and 6, and 6:15, and around around you go. STOMP, STOMP, STOMP!

Then the post 10pm runners would start. STOMP, STOMP, STOMP. Seriously, who runs at 11pm on vacation?! You should be at the bar. That's where I'd be if I wasn't dealing said baby who is going bananas from being woken up at all hours of the day.

In closing, and on a more serious note, please be considerate of your fellow passengers. No one is saying you can't run (although in all honesty I am not sure why anyone runs without something chasing them) just do it doing the posted hours that the track is open.

*specifically directed towards those on the 4/3-4/10 sailing, but it applies to all inconsiderate jerks.

p.s. inconsiderate jerks aside, we had a lovely time and put a deposit down for a future cruise. Full review forthcoming some time this week.

Hahahaha. Good for you. How many times have I been asleep on to the the inconsiderate screaming baby wake my up at 4:30 am.

Only difference is you have no choice on who is in the cabin next to you. However, any intelligent parent would check the deck plans first.

And if your baby wakes up because of muffled rhythmic sounds. Then you as a parent are to blame, because you have created an environment at home that is super silent. And giving your child a false sense still being in the womb. And not a real world environment. Let me guess first time parent???

My house, my kids slept well, why? "We didn't keep it silent"

Note to new parents and soon to be parents.

DO NOT TRY TO SHELTER YOUR BABY FROM NOISE.

Vacuum, do the dishes, do the laundry etc. while your baby is sleeping, they will adjust and adapt to sleeping in a noisier surrounding.

If you try to create a silent environment every time the baby naps, you will be starting a precedent that will be hard to maintain when out of the home and will drive you crazy.

Wow I can't believe all the nasty posts - to a lady with a baby no less, who was complaining about people not following posted rules.

I don't think she's stupid for bringing her baby on vacation (seriously?) or booking her room where she did. One does not expect people to be jogging at 4:30am ESPECIALLY when it's specifically prohibited.

This is a fairly black and white issue, not sure how this thread went on so long. There are rules for a reason. If people just break all the rules, chaos will ensue. It is irrelevant whether you like to jog, you can't stand crying babies, etc. (At least a baby crying hasn't done it intentionally, knowing it may disrupt and annoy you.)

I booked a room under the pool deck last cruise and expected some noise for sure, just didn't know they would power wash the pool deck at 5:30 am. Was I an idiot for that? No, I just didn't know all the possibilities, as most people won't when choosing a cabin.

I agree that it's gotten a bit ridiculous, especially the comments about bringing a child on a cruise. :rolleyes: Personally, I would never, ever book a cabin under the jogging track (or any other public venue). But, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect people to follow the rules. It seems like it wouldn't be too difficult for NCL to enforce their rules, but people seem to be saying joggers are up there even if NCL sends someone--I don't understand that, but no matter. I feel bad for the OP, but I don't think people were being :rolleyes:"inconsiderate jerks" either. Yes, they were breaking the rules, but I doubt they were thinking, "I'm going to go jog early and I don't care that there's a sleeping baby that will be awakened." I've never looked at the deck plan to see what's above or below me when I've gone to use a public venue, and I doubt these joggers did either.

Personally, it wouldn't matter to me if I had a baby with me--that wouldn't have awakened any of my kids, but it certainly would have awakened me! I don't sleep in on vacation, but I don't get up at 4:30 either! :eek:

I have a cabin booked that is under the "gym". I see that it is under the aerobics side. I like the cabin location and unique layout and didn't think that the "gym" would be an issue. I don't sleep late, but like to relax in my cabin before retiring for the night. It was mentioned that the aerobic area is used for the Zumba classes and the treadmills run 20 hours a day. I myself asked if these machines and areas are in constant use....and I was told YES. This seems to fall under the category of "I paid my fare and I can do what I want, when I want, with not consideration to others" So, I know ahead of time what to expect...Kudos to you who keep active and fit, however, I would just like to enjoy my vacation too.