An open letter to joggers on the Star

Coolwhip82

Dear inconsiderate jerks*,

There is a reason that the jogging track is only open during certain hours. NCL has this rule in place for a reason. It's a pretty good one too because as you are getting your sweat on at 4:30am, enjoying that runners high, breathing in the fresh salt water air, I am trying to get my baby back to sleep who was rudely awoken by your STOMP, STOMP, STOMP every 2 minutes (hey, good job on that eight minute mile! I am sure those pre-dawn runs are really what was able to help you cut it down...). In other words, the track on deck 13 is located directly over my storeroom on deck 12. Oh, the baby is back to sleep? STOMP, STOMP, STOMP, here comes another one at 5am, and 5:15, and 6, and 6:15, and around around you go. STOMP, STOMP, STOMP!

Then the post 10pm runners would start. STOMP, STOMP, STOMP. Seriously, who runs at 11pm on vacation?! You should be at the bar. That's where I'd be if I wasn't dealing said baby who is going bananas from being woken up at all hours of the day.

In closing, and on a more serious note, please be considerate of your fellow passengers. No one is saying you can't run (although in all honesty I am not sure why anyone runs without something chasing them) just do it doing the posted hours that the track is open.

*specifically directed towards those on the 4/3-4/10 sailing, but it applies to all inconsiderate jerks.

p.s. inconsiderate jerks aside, we had a lovely time and put a deposit down for a future cruise. Full review forthcoming some time this week.

Seriously, who runs at 11pm on vacation?! You should be at the bar.

This actually made me LMAO (cause I agree lol.) Sorry to hear about this! On your next cruise try to make sure you have staterooms ONLY below and above you. Glad the rest of your cruise was good! :D

Edited by bbryan5

In closing, and on a more serious note, please be considerate of your fellow passengers. No one is saying you can't run (although in all honesty I am not sure why anyone runs without something chasing them) just do it doing the posted hours that the track is open.

What are the hours?

How do you know that the baby won't be napping during those times?

As for why people run/exercise...<LINK>

"Everyone can gain the health benefits of physical activity - age, ethnicity, shape or size do not matter."

On a side note. Who books a stateroom under a jogging track if you have a baby?

I urge all of you to do your due diligence when booking the room to see if it's under a potential noisy area.

Maybe she booked a GYcabin?

Your gripe is completely valid. Those suites are nice and the jogging track is supposed to be roped off with signs at those hours. I booked one of these staterooms in error, but fortunately I was able to change to another room in the same category well before sailing. If I remember the jogging track is supposed to be closed until 8:00am. 4:00 and 5:00 in the morning is ridiculous. They should ask that the fitness center be opened for them so they can run on treadmills if they need to be running at that time.

Maybe she booked a GYcabin?

That's even worse! Why would a person book a GY cabin if they have a baby and require that there be no noise for the baby? You would imagine that they would make a maximum effort to ensure a good night's sleep for the baby.

Buyer Beware.

Your gripe is completely valid. Those suites are nice and the jogging track is supposed to be roped off with signs at those hours ...

This ! Or, it was a GTY assignment or upgrade, etc.

A telephone call down to the hotel desk and/or security would've been appropriate at those hours per OP's description - and, let the crew on duty go ascertain ... besides, isn't that area under video "supervision" at all hours.

I would never have guessed that someone jogging could be heard below. Are they running on a wood floor that's hollow to the ceiling underneath? This honestly surprises me. I thought the construction of these shops was much more solid. I'm sure those joggers never imagined it either.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I would never have guessed that someone jogging could be heard below. Are they running on a wood floor that's hollow to the ceiling underneath? This honestly surprises me. I thought the construction of these shops was much more solid. I'm sure those joggers never imagined it either.

The noise is very irritating. It's like the sound of someone punching the side of your house with a boxing glove on. Usually about 6 thumps per lap across your ceiling and then continues about every 2 minutes. That's the cycle per runner. This is a problem on both the Star and the Dawn. I have experienced it numerous times.

With the signs and ropes up telling runners to abstain from 8pm to 8am, many run around the ropes or leap over them.

Without quoting people because I am on my phone and can't figure out how to do it:

1. I did do my due dilligence, or at at least I thought I had. I knew the track was above us, but reviews said the noise 'wasn't that bad', or it was only bad if they ran across the 'bridge part'.

2. Open letter title is a joke, of course not everyone will read it....so literal

3. We did try to address the issue. We informed our butler who said he would look into it. Besides posting up a person out there 24/7 I am not sure what they could really do.

4. The hours are confusing - we looked into it! The signs say say the track is open 7am to 10pm, the freestyle daily says 9am to 10pm. Either way, 4am is obviously too early and 11pm is too late.

This post is really a reminder to be considerate of your fellow passengers. I think most people 'got' that.

I too have experienced the PAIN !

The Jogging Track is on Deck 13 (same deck as Cagney's) and about 3/5th's

of it is aft of that point. The remaining 2/5ths of it is forward one deck above

the Oasis Pool deck (12). It is this portion that is troublesome to cruisers in

port side suites 12526-12528-12530-12532 and starboard 12026-12028-12030-12032.

The Jogging Track runs right over these suites and runs thru

a tunnel underneath Deck 14 Bier Garten to reverse course and head aft.

YES there is a roped off area in the tunnel in off hours and the crew tries to

stack deck lounge chairs in such a way to discourage this area as a running

track yet provide walking space forward around the bow of the ship.

But then there is always the ingenious few that think the lounge chairs are

hurdles as well as the rope in the tunnel.

The suites (24) in this area on deck 12 were formerly the Spinnaker Lounge

which is now relocated to Deck 7 all the way aft which incidentally now makes

noise for cabins directly above on Deck 8. I guess the NCL doesn't want you

to get any rest in these cabins but would like you to consider these as 24 hour

party cabins !

Been on a few ships where there are also people who jog opposite the selected direction, I am surprised there have been no head on collisions at some of the tight curves. At least these people go against the grain at the allowed hours.

We originally booked one of those suites for our Star cruise but I decided to downgrade to a mini-suite to 1) save us some $$$ and 2) because the suite was under the jogging track. I really don't understand why NCL would put suites under a loud area. Sorry for your troubles OP. That would have driven me crazy!

Without quoting people because I am on my phone and can't figure out how to do it:

1. I did do my due dilligence, or at at least I thought I had. I knew the track was above us, but reviews said the noise 'wasn't that bad', or it was only bad if they ran across the 'bridge part'.

You did your due diligence, but you chose to ignore it. People said that the noise "wasn't that bad". Well, you have a baby. "not bad" to an adult is not the same as "not bad" for a baby.

You know where your cabin was, you knew that there would be noise. You took a calculated risk and lost. You thought that you and the baby would be able to handle the noise level. I bet that part of you wishes that you had requested a different cabin after reading about the noise.

In your post, you blamed everyone for your decision to risk it and hope that the noise isn't bad enough to wake up your baby.

Granted, people shouldn't be running when the track is closed. But these things will happen.

In fact, I haven't done any research at all, in this thread three different people commented that this is a problem.

Rather than post an open letter to joggers, why not post a thread warning people that this cabin will be noisy at night due to joggers who can't follow the rules.

My point is that there are going to be noisy cabins on every ship. We all know this. If you get a cabin that has noise potential, and continue in that cabin anyway, you accept a part of the risk and therefore a part of the blame.

The noise is very irritating. It's like the sound of someone punching the side of your house with a boxing glove on. Usually about 6 thumps per lap across your ceiling and then continues about every 2 minutes. That's the cycle per runner. This is a problem on both the Star and the Dawn. I have experienced it numerous times.

With the signs and ropes up telling runners to abstain from 8pm to 8am, many run around the ropes or leap over them.

They must realize running noise a problem on this ship to have these late-start hours posted. Thankfully, we sail on ships where the running track is above the buffet, so it's not an issue. My husband runs at around 5am every morning, whether home or on vacation. These hours would be a deal breaker.

On another note, I haven't slept until 8am in 20 years. LOL!

Conversely, the joggers could say the same about people that ignorantly stand on the track they're trying to jog on. They probably run at that time on purpose to avoid having to dodge people. I'm not sure what the track on that ship looks like, but I do wish more ships had an adequate jogging area that wasn't also a part of the main walkway. Then joggers could run at any time and not have to worry about waking anyone up or dodging bystanders.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

Conversely, the joggers could say the same about people that ignorantly stand on the track they're trying to jog on. They probably run at that time on purpose to avoid having to dodge people. I'm not sure what the track on that ship looks like, but I do wish more ships had an adequate jogging area that wasn't also a part of the main walkway. Then joggers could run at any time and not have to worry about waking anyone up or dodging bystanders.

Absolutely! That's why my husband runs so early - because he wants to run, and it's impossible to do it once the clock hits 7am or so.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

It should not be part of the main walkway at all, you are correct. It is beyond annoying when you are trying to walk somewhere at 10am and people insist on jogging. For what it's worth, the only time I ever saw people "standing" around is well after the posted jogging time.

So this statement basically means (and using it as an example, because its the most recent one posted not to point out an individual..)

The attitude then becomes, 'It's okay to break rule A because someone already broke rule B.' Which leads to 'Rule C doesn't matter to me because of rule A.'

This just leads to a circle of misery and is one of my ongoing issues with cruise ships. Because of the way compensation is handled (tip based) and a general desire to avoid confrontation, the 'rules don't apply to me' attitude is fed. If a few people had their asses dropped off in Aruba for mid-grade offenses, things would change quick.

The OP did due diligence and decided that based on the rules and their projected schedule, it would work. It was people not following the rules who caused the issue. If the OP had complained about joggers midday I would have put the onus on them.

Absolutely! That's why my husband runs so early - because he wants to run, and it's impossible to do it once the clock hits 7am or so.

So this statement basically means (and using it as an example, because its the most recent one posted not to point out an individual..)

The attitude then becomes, 'It's okay to break rule A because someone already broke rule B.' Which leads to 'Rule C doesn't matter to me because of rule A.'

This just leads to a circle of misery and is one of my ongoing issues with cruise ships. Because of the way compensation is handled (tip based) and a general desire to avoid confrontation, the 'rules don't apply to me' attitude is fed. If a few people had their asses dropped off in Aruba for mid-grade offenses, things would change quick.

The OP did due diligence and decided that based on the rules and their projected schedule, it would work. It was people not following the rules who caused the issue. If the OP had complained about joggers midday I would have put the onus on them.

Not in the slightest. I was referring to a different ship, as my earlier post states. It's required to run earlier on some of the ships - On those ships, they post the times the jogging track CLOSES in the mornings, not the time it opens, to ensure that runners get done early and out of the way. If the poster had complained about joggers midday, I'd have agreed, because on the ships I sail, the jogging track is closed from 8 or 9 am until 6 pm, and I expect people to follow the rules.

Edited by LrgPizza

So, it is beyond annoying to YOU when you want to walk on a "jogging track" during the hours it is posted to be open and joggers are well within their rights to be there ( darn those inconsiderate joggers for getting in your way! ). But, you can't understand why someone who has a cabin under the track would be beyond annoyed to be awakened at 4:00 am daily by joggers on a "closed" track? LOL.

At 10am, the jogging track is closed on a lot of the ships. If people are still running, they are the ones breaking the rules.

I think OP has a legitimate complaint. On the ship she referenced, the track is above cabins. NCL must know that the noise is an issue, so that's why they restrict the jogging track hours. I agree about the sudden increase of people who develop cruisitis.

Cruisitis - an unfortunately too common disease that afflicts many cruise ship passengers instantly as soon as they step onboard a cruise ship. They paid lots of money for this cruise, and dadgum, it is THEIR cruise and nobody is going to tell them what they can or can't do. Common symptoms include selfishness, rudeness, condescension, belligerence, and the inability to treat cruiseline employees and fellow passengers with respect.

On Escape, the jogging track is small and is located one deck above the pool deck. So noise is not an issue. However, the paths are heavily travelled during the day, which is why the dailies indicate that the track is closed between the hours of 9:30 AM and 6 PM. Nonetheless, there always seemed to be more than a few people who insisted on doing their marathon training during the day, and would get annoyed when people got in their way.

Again.... cruisitis. The same affliction that causes the "chair hogs" and "kids in hot tubs" debates. :rolleyes: