Just got back from Allure - a few thoughts

My boyfriend and I just returned from our first cruise on Holland America's signature cruise ship and had a HORRIBLE experience, everyone was 50+ and were so rude to staff I couldn't believe it. We are looking into booking a cruise with RC, but what's the age demographic like on the Allure? Being in our mid 20's do you think we would enjoy the activities ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You were on the Nieuw Amsterdam, not the Koningsdam, although the demographic would probably be quite similar. Having cruised frequently with HAL, I'm very surprised about your comment on rudeness, as it certainly hasn't been my experience. As your cruise was a gift to you and your boyfriend, it's hard to understand how it could have been so very HORRIBLE, irrespective of the age of other passengers. I hope you find cruises better suited to your tastes elsewhere.

How fast was the service in the dining room for dinner? We have the six o'clock dinner time but also a show or two at seven thirty. Hope we can get out quick enough to get to the shows.

It probably varies from server to server , but ours always asked us if we had a show that evening when we sat down. They will accommodate.

OP, great review. We were in the cruise following yours. Amazing ship.

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

My boyfriend and I just returned from our first cruise on Holland America's signature cruise ship and had a HORRIBLE experience, everyone was 50+ and were so rude to staff I couldn't believe it. We are looking into booking a cruise with RC, but what's the age demographic like on the Allure? Being in our mid 20's do you think we would enjoy the activities ?

The Oasis class ships on RC are probably going to be a really good fit for you if you like to be busy and have more to do than can be done in 7 days. There really is something for everyone and every taste on those ships. I don't think HAL would be something many 20 somethings would enjoy.

You'll find people are people and there are always rude ones and nice ones. Try the Oasis or Allure - I'm sure you will truly enjoy it.

We have a Central Park balcony coming up on our Oasis cruise so thanks for mentioning it as I have been a little nervous. For the poster that asked about ages, I think I've replied to you in a different thread, idk, but we've been cruising RCI since our 20s ( mid 30s now) and always found people our age to hang out with and have loved every single cruise, even the short Bahama ones on the Sovereign (miss that ship[emoji22]). We've been on Allure and absolutely loved it. So excited to go in two weeks!!

Thanks so much for the tips my husband and I are planning to sell in June and we do plan to take advantage of the premium drink package I do however want to know if there is a list of any of the the free food restaurants... and if there is a sneak peek of the daily activities to plan your day aroun any additional tips would be great

Thanks so much for the tips my husband and I are planning to sell in June and we do plan to take advantage of the premium drink package I do however want to know if there is a list of any of the the free food restaurants... and if there is a sneak peek of the daily activities to plan your day aroun any additional tips would be great

This web page shows the pay and free restaurants:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/statichtmlpage.do?pagename=brochure_dining_guide_options

You can probably find a list here on cc if you search for complimentary restaurants. You will get a printed "compass" on your bed every night with activities and show times etc for the next day. There should be one for sail away day when you first get to your room.

And that's what you can use highlighters for.

Great review.

Highlighters? Why do you suggest to bring them?

• 3 weeks later...

We are looking at booking either the 3 or 4 day dining package but the RCL website has us confused, in the fine print it says that the Hibachi Experience isn't one of the restaurant included in the package, but when you look at the restaurant page it mentions the packages in the insider tips section of the page as in the example I posted, can someone tell us the actual policy?

1754306544_ScreenShot2016-05-21at12_29_26PM.jpg.cbe6e4b51de27a70fe66a4a3f1a1164b.jpg

Edited by normr

I'm sorry you had such a negative experience on HAL. Their demographics tend towards the elderly and I don't consider 50's elderly. LOL Our experience on HAL ships has been that the average age is 70. We have sailed both HAL and Royal and much prefer the Royal ships. There is so much to do on a Royal ship. HAL is great for a port intensive cruise, but Royal's ships are their own destination and the ports can be secondary. Try Royal and I think you will be very happy.

• 2 weeks later...

I am planning a cruise for next year on the Allure. I am looking into either a Jr suite or Grand suite. Can anyone give advise on how to pick a good stateroom in these two categories. Also any advise on getting the best prices.

thanks.

meidda

I am planning a cruise for next year on the Allure. I am looking into either a Jr suite or Grand suite. Can anyone give advise on how to pick a good stateroom in these two categories. Also any advise on getting the best prices.

thanks.

meidda

I'd look for a stateroom on decks 8 through 12. Hump area preferably. If you can swing the GS, you will have access to Coastal Kitchen for all meals and the Suite Lounge, very nice perks.

• 1 month later...
I was also on this cruise - 12th floor. Probably saw you! I was in room 12648 with my family. Loved everything about this cruise. Had a great time. Wonderful weather. The staff, including our cabin attendant were great. Thanks for the review.

I will be in this room in about a month!!! Is it nice?

Thanks for the review! We were on Allure in August 2013 and are going again May 2017. One of the things we enjoyed the most was the "party" Thrown at Rita's Cantina one of the first nights of the cruise. A flat fee got you a couple of drinks/food. Looking everywhere, and no one mentions anything like this at Sabor. Any idea if they still do this?

I have been on NCL for my last couple of cruises and there is no formal "dress code". Does RC still have the "formal" dress night? I want to know whether my husband needs to pack a jacket.

RC still has shipwide formal nights on all ships except Quantum class and Empress.

Suggested dress:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqType=faq