Oasis Deck 8

sumik

Hi everyone, This is my first post so I hope I'm doing this right! I've gotten so much help from reading everything here.

I have cerebral palsy so getting around is very difficult for me, especially trying to get elevators when it's busy because everyone walks faster than I do and just pushes in (that's life, it happens) and stairs are not an option for me. In case of extreme emergency my husband and I can make stairs work but it's a last resort.

My family is booked on Oasis on deck 8 (8198 if it matters) and I chose that deck so that if elevators were busy there'd be something to do or something to eat without elevators or stairs, while I wait for a lull in the crowds. Pictures make it seem like a good choice.

For those who have sailed Oasis before, if you were stuck on one deck (that has rooms) for a while, like me, is 8 a good choice or should I look elsewhere? All I've found about decks include phrases like "Great because it's just one deck away from..." but for me that can be like a mile anyway.

So, I hope that makes sense. Any opinions are very much appreciated!

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

The decks that are closest to food are 5 and 8. However, there are no staterooms on deck 5, so I'd stick with deck 8.

Edited by clarea

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Deck 8 is a great choice, as Central Park is located there. You can get breakfast , lunch and afternoon snacks there. For dinner (or lunch) you have the specialty restaurants. Central Park is also a great place to relax and people watch.

The Rising Tide bar on Deck 8 can also take you down to Deck 5 (Promenade) - it takes about 30 minutes.

All that said, I don't think I have ever seen the elevators so crowded that you would have a problem getting on due to pushy people.

My Son requires a wheelchair, so I totally understand what you are saying about the elevators. It can take forever to get one, and there are many rude pushy people that will walk right in front of him to get on. Not to mention won't move to let him off. I bet you, like us have taken many an extra ride on an elevator because you couldn't get off[emoji14] we just laugh about it and keep going. I think deck 8 is a great choice for you. If I was going to have to hang around for a while on any deck, that would be my choice. I hope you have a wonderful cruise!!

Thank you so much! It sounds like I should've trusted my choices :)

As for elevators, it's also nice to hear that it may not be a big issue. I've been on Freedom and that was fine but Enchantment, Sovereign and Monarch were quite difficult. I thought crowds would get worse as the ship got bigger but maybe with more elevator options or larger elevators it won't be a problem moving forward. Great to know!

Thanks again!

Deck 8 is a great choice, as Central Park is located there. You can get breakfast , lunch and afternoon snacks there. For dinner (or lunch) you have the specialty restaurants. Central Park is also a great place to relax and people watch.

The Rising Tide bar on Deck 8 can also take you down to Deck 5 (Promenade) - it takes about 30 minutes.

All that said, I don't think I have ever seen the elevators so crowded that you would have a problem getting on due to pushy people.

I think that might depend on the group cruising, because I had some issues in a wheelchair when I was injured before with people jumping ahead of us and that kinda thing. We just let it go because I didn't want a confrontation on our vacation, but I see where the OP is coming from. That being said, a little patience waiting for an elevator and you'll be fine. Plus Central Park is awesome and I've preferred hanging out there reading at times. You'll have a great trip[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It goes away usually by day 3, but to the OP be observant. Some elevators get used heavier that others. Some are heavier depending on the time of day. The foreward elevators are busy at dinner times. The rear ones after shows. In leaving some shows a majority of people go to the first elevator they see while another nearby one is empty.

Hi everyone, This is my first post so I hope I'm doing this right! I've gotten so much help from reading everything here.

I have cerebral palsy so getting around is very difficult for me, especially trying to get elevators when it's busy because everyone walks faster than I do and just pushes in (that's life, it happens) and stairs are not an option for me. In case of extreme emergency my husband and I can make stairs work but it's a last resort.

My family is booked on Oasis on deck 8 (8198 if it matters) and I chose that deck so that if elevators were busy there'd be something to do or something to eat without elevators or stairs, while I wait for a lull in the crowds. Pictures make it seem like a good choice.

For those who have sailed Oasis before, if you were stuck on one deck (that has rooms) for a while, like me, is 8 a good choice or should I look elsewhere? All I've found about decks include phrases like "Great because it's just one deck away from..." but for me that can be like a mile anyway.

We were just on Oasis, Central park was a nice place to hang out, deck 6 is nice too because of the boardwalk. The Trellis bar in Central park was probably our favorite spot to stop for a drink during the week. With that said we never had to wait long for an elevator, there are a lot of them and the only time they were busy was when a show was letting out.

If you have a problem grabbing an elevator, remember sometimes you have to go down to go up.

I have been on Allure and Oasis. I think deck 8 is a very good choice. That said it really upsets me that people are that inconsiderate. I can't believe that someone would jump in ahead of you. Many of these people could use the stairs anyway.

We just got off Oasis and we were on Deck 9. We both said that when we book again, we want deck 8! Deck 8 is the same level as Central Park and Central Park is SO BEAUTIFUL and serene. You'll have lots to look at and see if you have to wait! Also Park Cafe is on Deck 8 and that is the best place to eat for lunch. Also, we never waited long for an elevator and we just got back...spring break time. Happy cruising!

I'm booked on Deck 7, but looked at several dates trying to get a good location on Deck 8. I'm guessing you've made an excellent choice and will be very satisfied. If stuck on Deck 8, Central Park is the perfect place to chill the nerves, night or day. :)

I'm still a little amazed that, even though Oasis class has fewer elevator banks (just forward and aft vs. forward, midship and aft on most other ships I've been on) to move so many more people, I never noticed any more aggravation with elevators than on any other ship.