Crown NoroVirus

jamesnnb

We were just advised of a delayed boarding for the Crown on Sat April 16th due to a current norovirus outbreak. They advise the terminal/ship will be closed until 3pm. They provided a boarding list by decks (time wise). Will Princess then honor the Elite/Plat boarding or do you just go along with your deck call? Has anyone heard about the current outbreak and/or any details?

I just got the same email notice and was wondering the same thing. We board Saturday also. Fingers crossed. Don't really want to spend a week in my cabin. But I don't think they will be sanitizing for practice. Yikes.

I too will be aboard the April 16th sailing. I just received the email from Princess and was also wondering about the embarkation times. I trust Princess will expertly rectify this latest outbreak. If anyone has experienced delayed embarkation from San Pedro, please let us know what really happens. Thanks in advance.

It makes a lot short 3 to 7 days cruises from San Pedro Ca.

Norovirus is currently an epidemic in the Los Angeles and San Diego areas.

The Crown has had problems way before it ported out of California. This ship just can't seem to get rid of it for the long term.

I wouldn't go to the terminal early. One time when we were sailing on the Crown from Fort Lauderdale we had delayed boarding due to Noro that didn't start until 5pm.

Edited by whatcruiseisnext

The Crown has had problems way before it ported out of California. This ship just can't seem to get rid of it for the long term.

Even if the ship is fully sanitized after disembarkation, a crew may have been infected but not detected/reported at once, or a new passenger boarding may be carrying the virus.

Passengers and crews must just have to follow safety and preventive protocols imposed on the ship.

We were on the Crown during the first week of April. Due to the history of the Crown, I had concerns about norovirus the entire time. Every time I felt a little tired or queezy, I was convinced we were doomed.

Here is a review that details the experiences of a cruiser who sailed after a previous outbreak

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=253624

Here are details of the previous outbreaks. It seems like the overall percentage of passengers that get the sick are not too bad.

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/outbreak/2012/feb4crown_princess.htm

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/outbreak/2012/feb9crown_princess.htm

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/outbreak/2014/april12_crown_princess.htm

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/outbreak/2014/november16_crown_princess.htm

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/outbreak/2016/january3_crown_princess.htm

We are recently off the Crown and frankly I am not surprised that they are having trouble. There are sanitization stations but no one asking passengers to use them. When we have sailed on NCL and return from port there is someone on deck with a spray bottle of hand sanitizer for everyone. They also have someone stationed at the buffet.

We washed our hands constantly on the Crown, avoided the buffet and brought Colorox wipes for our stateroom and didn't have any trouble.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

We are recently off the Crown and frankly I am not surprised that they are having trouble. There are sanitization stations but no one asking passengers to use them. When we have sailed on NCL and return from port there is someone on deck with a spray bottle of hand sanitizer for everyone. They also have someone stationed at the buffet.

We washed our hands constantly on the Crown, avoided the buffet and brought Colorox wipes for our stateroom and didn't have any trouble.

Hand sanitizer doesn't do any thing to the Noro virus. Only bleach and hand washing with soap helps. Noro stays on hard surfaces for about 5 weeks.

I think I have a touch of noro right now. I'm at work and have been hiding in my office with the door closed all day. I think I probably picked it up at Safeway when I ran to the store to get something for my wife. It's everywhere.

Edited by Thrak

I don't know what it is about the Crowne and noro virus. We were delayed as well and it may as well have been the cruise to *ell. We got a Princess transfer - never again. We were picked up at LAX and boarded a big white bus along with others. We were taken to the Sheraton hotel and sat there for hours - at least 4 hours. About 1:00 pm people started complaining so they got us all on the bus and we headed to the port. There were 6 buses ahead of us. We were told we couldn't leave the bus and had to wait until they were given the okay to take us to the passenger unloading area. There was no bathroom on board as the driver didn't have the key to the restroom. We had no water on board. We had handicapped people on board and they were pleading to let them off so they could find a restroom. We sat on the bus for another 3 hours until I had had it. I got off the bus with my cell phone in hand and told the bus driver she had 2 choices. Either take us to the passenger unloading area or I call 911 and tell them you are holding us hostage. Pick your poison lady. She hopped on that bus and wheeled over to the unloading area. We got off the bus, walked to the front of the line as we had already checked in at the hotel. Got our S&S cards and was on the ship in 15 minutes.

Why am I telling you this story? Because if you have a Princess transfer, this is what is going to happen to you. It's doubtful that we will cruise on the Crowne again, as the only memorable thing about the cruise was the bad experience in the beginning.:eek:

P.S. Do a search here at CC and see how many Crowne noro virus threads there are.

Edited by elliair

We were just advised of a delayed boarding for the Crown on Sat April 16th due to a current norovirus outbreak. They advise the terminal/ship will be closed until 3pm. They provided a boarding list by decks (time wise). Will Princess then honor the Elite/Plat boarding or do you just go along with your deck call? Has anyone heard about the current outbreak and/or any details?

We're on the upcoming cruise & I noticed that the statement about not requiring passengers with priority boarding in the original progressive check-in statement is not in the updated procedure with the cruise terminal being closed until 3:00.

So without the statement about priority boarding being at anytime that indicates to me that they want everyone to follow the delayed progressive check-in boarding procedure. One person on our roll call had the same situation previously and no one was allowed into the terminal until after 3:00 to begin check-in although it was possible to drop off checked luggage earlier.

On another thread it was posted there's a brewhouse a mile from the cruise ship terminal which might be more enjoyable than standing in a long line waiting for the terminal to open. :p

Edited by Astro Flyer

When there is a delayed boarding like this upcoming one, are you able to drop off your luggage before the new boarding time, even if the terminal/ship is closed off?

A passenger on our roll call previously experienced a 3:00 delayed opening of the cruise terminal & said it was possible to drop off checked luggage earlier.

Norovirus is currently an epidemic in the Los Angeles and San Diego areas.

Really? You know this how? You shouldn't make statements like this without some evidence for it. You may "have heard" something from your cousin's hairdresser's aunt's boyfriend, but the evidence I see here in Southern California is that no one I know has noro or has had it recently. No "epidemic."

We are recently off the Crown and frankly I am not surprised that they are having trouble. There are sanitization stations but no one asking passengers to use them.

Sounds like FUN cruise!

Really? You know this how? You shouldn't make statements like this without some evidence for it. You may "have heard" something from your cousin's hairdresser's aunt's boyfriend, but the evidence I see here in Southern California is that no one I know has noro or has had it recently. No "epidemic."

While there's nothing scientific about it, family who work at the local schools have all had it as have nearly all of their students. At the beginning of the season the CDC said there was a new strain of norovirus in the US and they expected a 50% increase of norovirus cases this year.

The OP asked about the delayed boarding & not about another norovirus debate. :(

Edited by Astro Flyer

Cruise ships are REQUIRED by law to report illnesses and get the diagnosis confirmed through the Public Health department or the CDC. In all actuality, NoroVirus does not occur any more frequently on cruise ships as it does on land...just the cruise ships report it and announce it. When on dry land many people dismiss the symptoms as a "stomach bug" or food poisoning.

Read what the CDC says about Norovirus on cruise ships:

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/pub/norovirus/Norovirus.htm

What about alcohol-based hand sanitizers?

CDC recommends that cruise ship passengers use warm water and soap to wash their hands. Washing is always best.

If water and soap are NOT available (perhaps on excursions), use an ethanol alcohol-based hand sanitizer, preferably in a gel form. The sanitizer should be at least 60% ethanol.

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/pub/handwashing/handwashingtips.htm

I work for a public health department and last year at a conference there was a very interesting session on cruise ship health and sanitation. Cruise ships are WAY cleaner than any restaurant you will probably go to on land.

At the beginning of the season the CDC said there was a new strain of norovirus in the US and they expected a 50% increase of norovirus cases this year.

Won't this be a fun season? Yikes

Won't this be a fun season? Yikes

Yep and that's life. ;)

You appear to be a similar age as me and we never got so upset when having the stomach flu or the 24 hour bug. I understand that having it is miserable and could be dangerous for some people so I'm not making light of those concerned about it. However it's in so many places that it's probably impossible to not be exposed to it at one time or another.