Celebrity Summit - Recent Reviews Not So Good??

kpun

You realize that the Summit was the only M-Class ship that received top 10 ratings in the latest CruiseCritic Poll,

That's an interesting point Den. It doesn't speak too well of the other M class ships then. :(

Fifty-six cruises under our belt, 39 on Celebrity. We've sailed on Summit several times over the years, most recently to Bermuda in June when we enjoyed a wonderfully relaxing cruise. Service was excellent and we thought food was particularly good. The ship was immaculate and well run, with staff and crew eager to please in the manner we've come to expect from X.

I think It's unfair to compare Summit, at its age, to newer and bigger ships that offer all the bells and whistles currently available at sea. There is, after all, something to be said about smaller, older ships that offer a more traditional cruising experience; however, IMHO there is no need for traditional to be synonymous with worn. That said, I find Summit's one major detraction is that it's "tired" and sorely in need of it's scheduled makeover.

We will be cruising on the Summit in two weeks. This will be our sixth cruise on her. One of our cruises was the week before a dry dock but the ship was immaculate inside and out. The biggest “impact” was on the morning of disembarkation there was work already underway. She has always been an elegant lady and we can’t wait to see her again. She has always had an outstanding crew. Although I do not know anything about the current captain, hopefully he will follow in the tradition of Captains Leo, Kate and Alex who have been the most personable Captains we have ever sailed with in all of our 15 Celebrity cruises. When I step aboard I will feel as though I am coming home.

We will be cruising on the Summit in two weeks. This will be our sixth cruise on her. One of our cruises was the week before a dry dock but the ship was immaculate inside and out. The biggest “impact” was on the morning of disembarkation there was work already underway. She has always been an elegant lady and we can’t wait to see her again. She has always had an outstanding crew. Although I do not know anything about the current captain, hopefully he will follow in the tradition of Captains Leo, Kate and Alex who have been the most personable Captains we have ever sailed with in all of our 15 Celebrity cruises. When I step aboard I will feel as though I am coming home.

I agree, Jean! We are going to be on her again this year for B2B2B cruises in October and are really looking forward to them AGAIN! What RCCL cruise will you be on in January 2019?

I agree, Jean! We are going to be on her again this year for B2B2B cruises in October and are really looking forward to them AGAIN! What RCCL cruise will you be on in January 2019?

It’s Jewel of the Seas 5 nights leaving January 27. It’s a group from our community in Naples. Should be fun. Did you do a review of your HAL cruise? If so, point me to it.

Hi to Toni.

That's an interesting point Den. It doesn't speak too well of the other M class ships then. :(

I understand you didn’t like the Summit, and you had your good reasons. But I think you are missing the point here. On the CruiseCritic 2018 Cruier’s Choice Awards, Summit got #9 On Overall; #10 On Embarkation; #5 on Service (1-4 were S-Class Celebrity ships); #10 on Value.

This was a poll for all cruise ships. As all polls of this type, it was who chose to take part, not a random sampling in an attempt to identify the ‘best’ in those categories, just peoples’ opinions who tool part in it.

From our discussions before, you didn’t like Her, my opinon was it’s a fine cruise ship that I’d do again, especially after the major upgrade next year.

In fact, the current ship comparisons on the home page of the ‘Most Popular Cruise Ships’ picked by CruiseCritic, Summit was #9. That doesn’t prove me right (I don’t ‘rate’ ships, I rate each cruise I take) or you wrong in not liking that ship. But it does mean more than a few experienced cruisers enjoyed the Summit.

Hope you enjoy the next you take, and maybe we can talk face-face which is so much more productive than this, and do it on a ship and itinerary we’d both enjoy!

Den

Edited by Denny01

We cruise to Bermuda every year in the spring. In the last four years, Main Dining room menus have lost appeal . So much so that I only book Aqua. Dining here is terrific. That said, Summit is a great ship if you don't particularly care for mega ships.

It’s Jewel of the Seas 5 nights leaving January 27. It’s a group from our community in Naples. Should be fun. Did you do a review of your HAL cruise? If so, point me to it.

Hi to Toni.

Here are the two youtubes for the three weeks on the Koningsdam from January 2018. We really had a great time on that cruise as well.

We are going to be on the Serenade of the Seas, sister ship to the Jewel, for three weeks in January 2019 and probably are going to do the Greek Ilses on the Jewel in the Fall. Life is good!