Live Oosterdam before/during/after 4/18 cruise

FloridaTourist

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences! I will miss your daily updates and will have to settle for focusing on the last minute planning of my own cruise (83 days and counting!)

Safe travels!

That is excellent information about the airport process. I've read the airport is small, the walk from the dock long, and the disorganization chaotic but this is the best detail I've seen in one go!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Currently sitting on my connection to Orlando at JFK. Last time the pilot came on we were number 30. Ugh!!!!!! Arrival at JFK before getting our bags with global entry was a piece of cake. After getting out bags the line literally wrapped the entire room. The global entry line was actually slower than the normal line. We had one person. The other line had about 15 checkers. So that made no sense. Oh well. All went smooth dropping off our bags again but as I made my way toward the security check point to at JFK the delta person at the beginning of the line said my carry on was to big. That lead to a little disagreement but finally she let me pass. No way was I giving delta $100 to check my big. It has been on 3 flights and now they say it is to big. Lol. So ok it was a little over stuffed but I had to get my lemoncello in my checked bag. Pilot says we are now 5. When we get home because it is late we will call an über to take us home. I will post a regular review in the next few days about the Oosterdam once I have a chance to reflect. Also will post some tripadvisor reviews of our tour company and hotels. If you haven't researched the JW Venice yet take some time and so it. Wish we had more time there to unwind.

Thanks for following us. Hope I have been a help to others. I believe in giving back and have learned so much from many of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It had been great following your trip and I look forward to reading your review. I saw a somewhat negative posting about the post dry dock experience and would like more details you might have since we will be post drydock next year on Westerdam. Safe travels home and we are avoiding going through JFK on our way home.

Florida Tourist,

Thanks so much for taking your time to post. Your tips and insights have been very helpful for my upcoming Oosterdam cruise.

Hope your final flight went smoothly and looking forward to your review.

Marion

Hi Florida Tourist and thank you so much for your wonderful review!

Another poster from the same cruise mentioned that there was complaints of a bad sewage smell on deck 8 and later in the trip on deck 4. Did you experience this? Which deck was your SS on?

Also, I was wondering about your bathroom. From the pictures you posted it looked like you just had a tub in the bathroom. Was there a shower? If you have any other pics of the stateroom and/or bathroom I would love to see them! Again thanks and glad you had a wonderful trip!

Hi Florida Tourist and thank you so much for your wonderful review!

Another poster from the same cruise mentioned that there was complaints of a bad sewage smell on deck 8 and later in the trip on deck 4. Did you experience this? Which deck was your SS on?

Also, I was wondering about your bathroom. From the pictures you posted it looked like you just had a tub in the bathroom. Was there a shower? If you have any other pics of the stateroom and/or bathroom I would love to see them! Again thanks and glad you had a wonderful trip!

Don't have any other bathroom pics but we had a shower and tub. The bathroom was large and nice. There were some plumbing issues on some decks. We were on deck 6. We had no toilet when we first arrived. No hot water the next day. We heard of some folks with issues for several days. Our dinner mates even had a plumber show up at 330am! But all in all I think most had it worked out after a few days.

• 3 weeks later...

What car company did you rent from in Crete? We are doing the same itinerary and are thinking of renting a car in Crete to reach better remote beaches. Please let us know your experience. We arrive at 12 and leave at 8pm. Thanks!

What car company did you rent from in Crete? We are doing the same itinerary and are thinking of renting a car in Crete to reach better remote beaches. Please let us know your experience. We arrive at 12 and leave at 8pm. Thanks!

We went to Hertz but just so you know Hertz as well as others close for lunch from 1-5pm. Yep a 4 hr lunch.

Don't have any other bathroom pics but we had a shower and tub. The bathroom was large and nice. There were some plumbing issues on some decks. We were on deck 6. We had no toilet when we first arrived. No hot water the next day. We heard of some folks with issues for several days. Our dinner mates even had a plumber show up at 330am! But all in all I think most had it worked out after a few days.

I fear the hot water issue the first day was a direct consequence of not bringing up systems soon enough following leaving dry dock. We did not have hot water or adequate pressure to work the shower correctly the first day. We were in one of the Pinnacle Suites. The shower in the Pinnacle Suite is one of those body massage types. Without adequate water pressure it doesn't work at all. We could use the tub for bathing.

We reported it, but we were understanding. No worries, we were having a great time. Either way a bottle of house red appeared two days later. Entirely unnecessary in our opinion.

PS. Yes, we did know that the ship was 'fully operational' during dry dock as crew and contractors were aboard. Clearly plumbing to certain areas of the ship was below normal.

Dennis

Edited by kelleherdl

Here is my take on avoiding pick pockets

First I carry avery small wallet and only what I need for the day in it ....

I putmy wallet ina front pocket .It is further sealed with elasticbands than i shut my pocketwith a diaper pin ..the kind you really need to work with to open ...yes its difficultwhen Ineed cashhowever sofar has worked well forme .If they want my wallet. They are going to have to work for it .

I waspick pockettedeverywhere in Greece when I travelled there as a young girl.sinceI dothis ...sofar so good

Diaper. Pins reallymake it difficult to get inpockets

• 4 months later...

hi, wondering if anyone checking this old thread. great info, but now concerned about first post dry dock voyage of westerdam april 27 to the Med. very port intensive, but wouldn't want to face plumbing issues described in some posts. Thoughts now looking back? we would be in a newly refurbished signature suite. Appreciate hearing from anyone, especially looking back on it! thx.

• 2 weeks later...
hi, wondering if anyone checking this old thread. great info, but now concerned about first post dry dock voyage of westerdam april 27 to the Med. very port intensive, but wouldn't want to face plumbing issues described in some posts. Thoughts now looking back? we would be in a newly refurbished signature suite. Appreciate hearing from anyone, especially looking back on it! thx.

Do it! Yes we had some minor issues but the ship made up for it with additional discounts and comp wine bottles etc. I would do it again but my wife says she wouldn't. Some people had serious issues but ours were minor. We are actually thinking of doing westerdam next summer.