Another NCL Cruise Cancelled

ChrisCJSU

I am (should say was) booked on the Sky for a 3-Night Cruise to the Bahamas for December 2-5, 2016. I received an email this morning that this sailing had been cancelled due to a private charter of the entire ship. I was given two options (1) Move to another sailing on the Sky and keep my original fare plus $25 OBC (with the exception of the Christmas and New Years sailings) or (2) Move to another ship in the fleet at the current rates and receive a $25 OBC. Additionally, I am being offered up to $300 reimbursement for airline change fees. I called this morning and moved my cruise to the November 4, 2016 sailing on the Sky. Luckily, my schedule was flexible enough to move to a different week. It is, however, still a pain. I still have to go through changing my airfare (and probably paying a higher fare which isn't covered by NCLs offer). It just shows that money talks and when some company wants to throw a wad of cash at the cruise line they don't give a crap about customers, even repeat customers. Customers like me who make plans far out in advance. I just hope that my fellow cruisers on this sailing will have the same flexibility and can still get their cruise in without much difficulty.

NCL if you read this thread, please be more considerate of your customers--the families and individuals that make up the lion's share of your revenues.

Stepping off the soapbox now...

You do when the prices are low like they were. Now the prices have went up so I will be out more than just the change fees.

Did you book the airline fare or did NCL. If you did it, try to get them to upgrade your room for the money loss on the airfare

When they cancelled our cruise I got them to pay for the increase in air fare which came to over £1700 for the four of us travelling.

I booked the airfare myself through Delta. Once I know the final additional cost, I will get with NCL and press for them to reimburse me to total costs. If they don't want to do that I'll push for more OBC or an upgrade. Thanks for the suggestions!

You do when the prices are low like they were. Now the prices have went up so I will be out more than just the change fees.

Airlines that I find the cheapest i.e. Southwest and Jet Blue don't even allow it so I guess that's why I wouldn't think of it.

I booked the airfare myself through Delta. Once I know the final additional cost, I will get with NCL and press for them to reimburse me to total costs. If they don't want to do that I'll push for more OBC or an upgrade. Thanks for the suggestions!

I would you shouldn't be out of pocket because they want to make more money. They paid up for us so I'm sure if you push them you will get more. Good luck.

Here's a suggestion.....keep your original flight if you think the new flight will cost you too much over the the $300 credit you are getting...and just book a hotel for the 3 nights

This ship sails from where? Miami?

South beach perhaps?

It's not like it sailing out of a horrible port. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm very disappointed with the way NCL is handling this. I have a group of 18 cabins (with more that were going to be booking into our group since we locked in rates months ago).

Now, we have multiple people that can't reschedule and have to cancel, multiple people that paid more than $300 for air ($300 is the credit NCL is offering to anyone who has already paid for air) and NCL won't guarantee rates or group space on another sailing until the entire ship has been rescheduled (which you need to make a decision by 4/25). So for those guest who were going to book (because they thought rates were locked in), now have to pay more because NCL chartered the ship. I feel like NCL should of honored our cabins that we still had in our group that weren't booked yet.

I'm just venting because it was my birthday weekend and now I have unhappy guests and I'm having to explain to people why they are out money for air (the ones who paid over $300) and why the ones who were about to book, now have to pay more.

I'm very disappointed with the way NCL is handling this. I have a group of 18 cabins (with more that were going to be booking into our group since we locked in rates months ago).

Now, we have multiple people that can't reschedule and have to cancel, multiple people that paid more than $300 for air ($300 is the credit NCL is offering to anyone who has already paid for air) and NCL won't guarantee rates or group space on another sailing until the entire ship has been rescheduled (which you need to make a decision by 4/25). So for those guest who were going to book (because they thought rates were locked in), now have to pay more because NCL chartered the ship. I feel like NCL should of honored our cabins that we still had in our group that weren't booked yet.

I'm just venting because it was my birthday weekend and now I have unhappy guests and I'm having to explain to people why they are out money for air (the ones who paid over $300) and why the ones who were about to book, now have to pay more.

I can certainly understand your frustration, but you can't be serious that NCL should be expected to honor a price for those who were THINKING about booking? That is simply ludicrous.

Edited by GORDONCHICK

Another added wrinkle to this whole situation. I rebooked to the November 4th sailing on the Sky. I go into MyNCL this morning and the call to Great Stirrup Cay is no longer being shown. I called Guest Relations to find out why and they have no reason for it. It appears this is the only sailing of the Sky in November that doesn't call Great Stirrup Cay. I am so ticked off at them right now. I hope someone from NCL is reading this. You have a customer that is ready to cancel this and all future cruises I have with your cruise line.

Another added wrinkle to this whole situation. I rebooked to the November 4th sailing on the Sky. I go into MyNCL this morning and the call to Great Stirrup Cay is no longer being shown. I called Guest Relations to find out why and they have no reason for it. It appears this is the only sailing of the Sky in November that doesn't call Great Stirrup Cay. I am so ticked off at them right now. I hope someone from NCL is reading this. You have a customer that is ready to cancel this and all future cruises I have with your cruise line.

I think it's time to try a different cruise line.

I had to click & check several times, OP has 2 threads today on basically the same topic - the newer one less than 2 hours ago, just saying ;)

I can certainlly understand the disappointment & appreciate the frustration with cancelled sailing with other expenses already paid & taking hits for losing out. However, GSC is a tendered port & there is no way for the cruiseline to guarantee it can safely anchor & run tender boats to shore - we have had a # of scheduled stops @ GSC that became a fun day at sea, once with a change on arrival day after we sailed from home port - hurricane season & stormy weather.

It's open secret that NCL has been cancelling sailings due to ships being chartered - I second the suggestions, if a solution can't be worked out (and, it seemed NCL is being somewhat reasonable with their offers) for this short cruise - cancel & take a full refund, book a hotel in Miami & party on land (if other cruiselines don't have anything either) Just my 2 cents, of course.

I understand companies need to make money, but NCL is starting to go overboard with all

their service charges. I'm looking at a NCL Med cruise for 2017 and the BP has a service

charge of $300, so the BP is not free. It works out to $28 p/d, which is still not bad. Just

add the s/c in when comparing to another cruise line!

I had to click & check several times, OP has 2 threads today on basically the same topic - the newer one less than 2 hours ago, just saying ;)

I can certainlly understand the disappointment & appreciate the frustration with cancelled sailing with other expenses already paid & taking hits for losing out. However, GSC is a tendered port & there is no way for the cruiseline to guarantee it can safely anchor & run tender boats to shore - we have had a # of scheduled stops @ GSC that became a fun day at sea, once with a change on arrival day after we sailed from home port - hurricane season & stormy weather.

It's open secret that NCL has been cancelling sailings due to ships being chartered - I second the suggestions, if a solution can't be worked out (and, it seemed NCL is being somewhat reasonable with their offers) for this short cruise - cancel & take a full refund, book a hotel in Miami & party on land (if other cruiselines don't have anything either) Just my 2 cents, of course.

To set the record straight--I did not create two threads today on this topic. I updated the thread I created a few weeks ago when my December cruise on the Sky was cancelled because of a private charter. I did create another thread to simply ask if the scenario of a cancelled port call to GSC was done prior to the sailing. I understand people have not been able to go to GSC due to weather conditions which is understandable. To cancel a call to this port, a private island nearly 200 days out is a business decision. This is very frustrating--it comes across to me as though NCL is taking away what I am paying for.

We book some routes 11 months out (i.e., as soon as reservations are available) on some routes.

I know I got a great deal in my one way repo tix by buying it very early

The prices went up the very next day btw and its doubtful the price will go much lower than I paid

I always buy insurance with 14 days of booking anyway and always add in the estimated cost of airfare if I haven't yet bought it or it's too far out to buy it

The only real risk when a cruise is cancelled is that you lose the cost of the travel insurance if you already purchased it

Otoh....when a cruise is cancelled don't they pay your airfare change fees or anything you may have lost on airfare should you choose not to rebook a cruise?

If it were me though and I stood to lose airfare....I would just book a hotel for the week and turn it into a land vacay in Florida

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Crusin6

I understand companies need to make money, but NCL is starting to go overboard with all their service charges. I'm looking at a NCL Med cruise for 2017 and the BP has a service charge of $300, so the BP is not free. It works out to $28 p/d, which is still not bad. Just add the s/c in when comparing to another cruise line!

That is a very good thing to do, and to advise others to do. Just like with airlines and their extra fees you have to do the math to save money.