HAL Offering Personal Choice Dining?????

Ali

I believe that the OP's TA was confused w/ Princess...

...but also having heard from Mr Deering about the other alternative dining venue in the Lido, it would not surprise me to learn that they may be investgating using the Main Dining Room in another fashion.

On our RSVP charter aboard HAL, we had a variation of the traditional dining theme. There were only two set dinner times (!) and passengers were assigned to upper or lower dining rooms, denoted by a round colored sticker on our key-cards. Seating was open in that one could choose a table when entering the dining room each evening, however if one wished to reserve a table for themselves or a small group, one simply had to see the Maitre'd.

Personally, I think it worked out rather well. I was able to have a set table, and kept a couple places open so that we could invite different friends to dinner each evening. I could see a version of that service being used on HAL in future...

What venues could be used by HAL to offer both traditional and PC dining? The existing alternative dining rooms on HAL ships couldn't accommodate both options. Princess has full sized dining rooms for each. NCL went completely PC which I'd assume HAL would need to do. That surely wouldn't go down well with the great majority of HAL's four million Mariners.

HAL has upper and lower dining rooms. If personal choice were an option that a lot of people have expressed interest in on their comment cards in the past, perhaps HAL may designate either the upper or lower level as the personal choice dining room and leave the other for traditional.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Maybe the TA is "plugged in?"

I doubt it. No offense intended to any TAs, but it's far more likely that they simply made an error than that they're "plugged in". Yes, there are a few exceptions (and I mean few) but generally TAs do not have access to any "inside information" at all. It's very, very rare.

but it's not exactly the same as say, for instance, RCI.

Well, some RCI ships have more dining choices than HAL ships do (the new, big ones), quite a few have less (the oldest ships). RCI are not consistent in this respect.

But "personal choice" generally refers to the option of open seating in the main dining room, as on Princess (who call this "Personal Choice Dining") or NCL ("Freestyle Dining").

I'm with Krazy and others...like the HAL setup just the way it is. You have plenty of options...check out the dining room menu for lunch or dinner at set times/tables. Or go to the Lido just about any time except shift change, when you can go get a taco or a burger out by the pool. Or order whatever the heck you want from room service whenever you want. And spend the cover charge for a night in the Pinnacle Grill. What's not to like???

I agree that the only way HAL could do this is by designating either the upper or lower as personal choice. However, one of the reasons I don't cruise NCL or Princess is because of the personal choice. If I wanted to cruise with children and have the entertainment geared that way, I would choose Disney, if I wanted more relaxed clothing, I would go with Carnival. HAL's base of customers appears to want a more traditional cruising experience and the parent companies of cruiselines need to recognize that they can't be all things to all people on each line and should adjust each brand to fit a different niche of the market. It's like trying to fit a Westin Hotel Chain to the Motel 6 business plan.

I agree that the only way HAL could do this is by designating either the upper or lower as personal choice.

True, but they wouldn't nearly be able to accommodate the people who want traditional. Too many would be denied their primary choice, forcing a number of extremely unhappy pax into PC dining. Otherwise, the PC dining area would be half empty.

The only chance for PC option to maybe work would be on Vista class seven day Caribbean cruises.

But why would they do it? Has there been a loud outcry for PC dining? I don't think so.

Mechcc, your hotel/motel analogy is very appropro. Pounding round pegs into square holes.

Right you are Doug on RCI. Guess I was thinking more of the Radiance and Voyager Class ships. Not too sure about the new Freedom Class but one would assume with size comes the choices. Should have probably said NCL. :o Having said that PC is not our PC. :)

I really like the traditional dining and would be bummed if HAL went to the PC dining plan. The whole PC thing is one thing that I'm not looking forward to in my upcoming NCL cruise. I like having a set dining time and a group of people to get to know and hear about what fun things they did during the day.

Hopefully the TA of the OP was just confused.

hmm..how many more acronyms can I use in one post! :eek:

You can choose the alternate dining up in the Lido and of course you can pay the extra bucks and get a nice steak in the special restauant they have on board--its name escapes me at the moment (Senior moment at 66!!!!!!!!!)

Sorry......the double post. :( Don't know how that happened.

Welcome to the new CC, and their new motto, we like your posts so much that we are going to give you the white screen of death and two posts when it finally shows up. :D ;)

jc

I doubt it. No offense intended to any TAs, but it's far more likely that they simply made an error than that they're "plugged in". Yes, there are a few exceptions (and I mean few) but generally TAs do not have access to any "inside information" at all. It's very, very rare.

As a "plugged in" TA, I can confirm your suspicions, there are no known plans to change dining on HAL...:)

Debbie

We have a hold on a Veendam cruise in Feb. which expires this afternoon. We will be on a Princess cruise prior to that with PC, so looked forward to traditional dining on HAL. We may not go on the V. because we are wait-listed for the dining room, have to check with the Maitre D. when we get on board. We don't like eating late, not crazy about eating at the Lido or extra cost places every night. Also could not get cabin we like, although we did get one of the last 3 outside cabins. Only cabins left now are inside. If we find out we can't book the shore excursions we want, we will cancel for sure. It is really getting crazy out there, having to book so far ahead. We have been sailing for over 25 years and have never had problems getting what we want 6 months out. A group we met here on CC for an RCL cruise last March has already booked another cruise for Feb. 2007. I could be dead by then?

I enjoyed the Free Style dining on NCL, but then it is the only cruise I've ever taken so what do I know? :rolleyes: Actually, I really did enjoy the freedom to dine whenever it was convenient for me and the variety of dining companions or just the chance to dine alone. (Yes, I some times enjoy having a meal alone.) However, I am looking forward to HAL's traditional dining arrangements. In addition to the new experience, I will also get to meet some of the very nice folks I feel I'm getting to know from CC!

Ginnie

Just spoke directly to the TA who had told our cruising companions that we could choose personal choice dining on our HAL Westerdam cruise. She admitted she was mistaken and had been thinking of another cruise line when she discussed dining options. :rolleyes: (You were 'right on, Rev. Neal!)

Although I noticed the Oosterdam thread regarding a dining change, it appears that HAL traditionalists can breathe a sigh of relief - evening dining choice options will remain the same. I, for one, am glad!

Ali

.... or just the chance to dine alone. (Yes, I some times enjoy having a meal alone.)

Ginnie

Maybe we should start a new thread -- for people (like us) who actually do like to eat alone upon occasion. ;) It's such a rarely stated option here. And the service is superb!

SFJ

Maybe we should start a new thread -- for people (like us) who actually do like to eat alone upon occasion. It's such a rarely stated option here. And the service is superb!

For 7 or 14 or 21 days? Every night? Alone? I'm sorry ... that sounds too much like my normal life on land. No thank you.

For 7 or 14 or 21 days? Every night? Alone? I'm sorry ... that sounds too much like my normal life on land. No thank you.

I am with you RevNeal

With everyone in my houses work and school and activity schedule. Its like we all eat the same meal but at different times and alone.

To each their own if that is what they enjoy. But I would rather sit nice and enjoy a meal with a group and share good conversation

Archived