Norwegian to no longer offer UBP as of May 1st??

keeponcruising

I received an email from an online travel agent stating as of May 1st the UBP will no longer be offered as a free perk. Anyone else see this anywhere and sorry if it has been posted already?

Sorry for the title. I tried to change it. The email states for bookings made after 5/1

Edited by keeponcruising
wrong title

First of all, the UBP was being sold before before these promos were constantly being offered. Even if the promos go away, it doesn't mean UBP is going away.

Secondly, UBP has been offered as a promo for about a year and a half now, but the promos have changed many times. That promo will end, and we will see if the new one also includes UBP or not.

Quite often on these boards there is an assumption that people are entitled to these promos forever, but the fact is that they can end any time. I took a cruise in 2014 where the only promo I was offered on my balcony cabin was $25 pp OBC. That could happen again, and people shouldn't think anything of it, because there is no promise that promos will remain in place for the end of time.

First of all, the UBP was being sold before before these promos were constantly being offered. Even if the promos go away, it doesn't mean UBP is going away.

Secondly, UBP has been offered as a promo for about a year and a half now, but the promos have changed many times. That promo will end, and we will see if the new one also includes UBP or not.

Quite often on these boards there is an assumption that people are entitled to these promos forever, but the fact is that they can end any time. I took a cruise in 2014 where the only promo I was offered on my balcony cabin was $25 pp OBC. That could happen again, and people shouldn't think anything of it, because there is no promise that promos will remain in place for the end of time.

The online agent sent a deceptive email with this:

"NORWEGIAN CRUISE LINE

BIG NEWS!!!

As of May the Free Beverage Package will no longer be offered as a free perk. Get yours now!"

To me they make it appear that they have information that it is going away.

It wouldn't surprise me, but that doesn't mean it won't be back on a future promo. They are probably having trouble using it as a perk now that they only want to give it to the first 2 adults in the cabin (which goes directly against their original policy of "if one person in the cabin has it, everyone has to have it" to prevent "sharing").

Promotions are part of an overall marketing strategy and the UBP promotion is a key part of NCL's strategy. They give an end date to create a false "we have to hurry" attitude on the part of the consumer even though it's more likely than not going to be offered again and again and again.

"NORWEGIAN CRUISE LINE

BIG NEWS!!!

As of May the Free Beverage Package will no longer be offered as a free perk. Get yours now!"

Seems to me they are trying to get you to book if you are on the fence and you really want the UBP.

If it goes away you can still get the UBP for $79 per day.:eek:

Bill

"NORWEGIAN CRUISE LINE

BIG NEWS!!!

Or they're pushing for sales. There have been many "book you cruise now now before this goes away" posts, for every thing from kids/family free etc. Then the day after the same or slightly changed offer is there for the "NEW" sale that starts.

Or they're pushing for sales. There have been many "book you cruise now now before this goes away" posts, for every thing from kids/family free etc. Then the day after the same or slightly changed offer is there for the "NEW" sale that starts.

Exactly. This exact same thing has been happening for almost 1.5 years.

But, to the OP, if you don't book and it indeed isn't offered next month (which will happen at some point in our lives), then snooze ya lose.

Edited by LrgPizza

"NORWEGIAN CRUISE LINE

BIG NEWS!!!

That's not deceptive it is just less that abundantly clear. Perhaps you shouldn't deal with an online TA that doesn't communicate clearly.

Promotions are part of an overall marketing strategy and the UBP promotion is a key part of NCL's strategy. They give an end date to create a false "we have to hurry" attitude on the part of the consumer even though it's more likely than not going to be offered again and again and again.

Worked on me!. We booked in February because there was an end of promotion date on the website. We had a good laugh when it was "extended".

Exactly. This exact same thing has been happening for almost 1.5 years.

But, to the OP, if you don't book and it indeed isn't offered next month (which will happen at some point in our lives), then snooze ya lose.

I have 2 cruises booked so far with the UBP. I guess I was reading more into the email than what is there. That is why I came here for other's opinions. Thanks for everyone's responses.

Hurry in, quantities are limited.......

Same BS. See through the smoke people.

That's right....limited to how many they sell ;)

Many limited edition products are only limited by how many can be sold and limited in production numbers. "Limited" is a marketing ploy right up there with "All Natural". There are no requirements to be able to use those deceptive terms.

I wish the prices would take at least a slight downturn if they halt the "free" UBP but I am afraid that will not be the case. :(

I just booked today and at least in Europe current campaign (with UBP) will last till end of June. So May doesn't seem to be true - TA might be wanting to do some quick selling.

The availability of offers has pretty much always been different between US and UK/CE offices, nothing new there. (We always book through US office - well nowadays US TA - because of more suitable terms for us.)

From what I can see, the UBP ends on the 24th of April and that perk is replaced with a 1 night hotel stay pre-cruise until the 30th. Who knows what will happen on May 1 or even April 25.

It wouldn't surprise me' date=' but that doesn't mean it won't be back on a future promo. They are probably having trouble using it as a perk now that they only want to give it to the first 2 adults in the cabin (which goes directly against their original policy of "if one person in the cabin has it, everyone has to have it" to prevent "sharing").[/quote']

Yeah, but that "everyone in the cabin policy" was probably when the UBP was new and you actually had to "buy" it, so the rule just made NCL even more money. But now that the packages are "free", that same everyone in the cabin rule would "cost" NCL $$, so therefore it's first two only. Does anyone actually buy these UBPs now?

My thoughts as well; add to this it is a marketing tool for the on line travel agents or any agents for that matter: they are attempting to get people to book asap.

When we cruised last Sept there were 8 of us. 2 didn't get the UBP: they booked the only month is was not offered.

Edited by newmexicoNita

Do a courtesy hold the last day of the month and see what happens the next day.

Problem solved.

OMG thank you so much for this idea. I am thinking of changing my cruise by a week but I currently have better promos for the one I have booked. Can you do a courtesy hold if it is near the 90 days mark? The cruise i have booked needs final payment May 9th and the one I want to change to is 6 days early so I figured final payment will be due May 3rd ish

If they stop giving them as promos, I will start buying them again. I won't sail without it.

Our first UBP was totally free, no 18% with the promo. But I have no illusions that I did not pay for it, or at least a great portion of it, with a higher cruise fare.

Next time, we are paying the 18%. It is near the breakeven point for what we would have spent on booze sans package, so we did it. But probably not saving much.

But if we ever had to outright buy it? Would be a total waste of money for us. We could not begin to drink that much alcohol. At least not for 7 days straight:p. Great for those who can and will, but they don't have this priced for the light to moderate drinker, IMO.

OMG thank you so much for this idea. I am thinking of changing my cruise by a week but I currently have better promos for the one I have booked. Can you do a courtesy hold if it is near the 90 days mark? The cruise i have booked needs final payment May 9th and the one I want to change to is 6 days early so I figured final payment will be due May 3rd ish

Your welcome, Yes you can do courtesy holds even the last week before sailing though the "hold" period gets shorted the closer you get to sailing. I have had 2 day courtesy holds and I've had 3 hour courtesy holds (2 days prior to sailing). You should be fine putting the hold on the last day of the month, that should be a 2 day courtesy hold and I am sure if you are still unsure you can call NCL and ask them to hold it another day for you, just have the reservation number handy when you call.

Edited by iimmie