"Live" - Aloha - Radiance of the Seas 20 April 2016 - Hawaii to Vancouver

Thanks, we chatted about the marathon on our roll call. We are heading south to the border so hopefully will avoid the crowd.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

Glad you are aware of it! It will be hard to avoid if going to the border. (Or almost anywhere!) Route map is here: http://bmovanmarathon.ca/community/road-closures

This is what we posted last year.

18146000366_c900d73730_o.jpg

Hoping it will not impact us too greatly that morning.This is the last part of the course directions and it looks like it ends at Pender and Bute which is about 3 1/2 blocks away. Hopefully they keep it contained.

Follow the entire length of the Seawall around Stanley Park

• Right onto Denman Street to leave the Seawall

• Left onto Georgia Street directly onto the sidewalk

• Bear left onto Pender Street using the northern half of the street

• Cross Bute Street and arrive at the FINISH LINE.

17984894020_8d4c9a267a_b.jpg

Looking at the link you sent the finish line may be a little closer but we should be ok heading down Howe St from Canada Place.

26641889852_c47c3fa0b1_b.jpg

It looks to be primarily west of us, but thank you for the warning.

You may already be aware but The Alaskan Way viaduct closed Friday morning and they said the traffic throughout The I5 corridor, especially the downtown areas, will be effected. I left Seattle yesterday and the local news stations were showing the tied up traffic. I hope you don't get caught up in that. :(

Edited by LarryL

You may already be aware but The Alaskan Way viaduct closed Friday morning and they said the traffic throughout The I5 corridor, especially the downtown areas, will be effected. I left Seattle yesterday and the local news stations were showing the tied up traffic. I hope you don't get caught up in that. :(

Thanks, we come down the east side of the lake on I-405 so hopefully we will not catch too much of the traffic. At least it is a Sunday and not a work day. :)

The Michael Jackson Thriller dance was tonight. Lots of people, fun times for all. I have a video I will try to upload when I get home.

30738718c6f0adcd216f36ec8c7aab98.jpg

b1f902c380578563988287152a3f2862.jpg

3a869a87a3978ea5cdba880ea332236e.jpg

0bc23c878ecc9e2980886d2268575a98.jpg

Oh well, one last breakfast in Windjammer.

Sorry for the minimal postings fur the transit but the Wi-Fi has been problematic.

I will look to post a few more pictures when we get home.

0df019c8ec56d115831f8457db18aedc.jpg

Glad you had a easy trip back Bill. It was nice to meet you and Marie. Thanks for all your helpful hints and the idea to drive to seattle. We ran into a detour due to the race but was able to get back on track. It was an easy crossing at the boarder for us too. We are visiting my family today then fly back tomorrow. Can't wait to see your video. We saw the rehearsal but missed the show.

Marie, love the new watch! And the Thriller make-up. :eek: Very scary. :D :D

I wish we could say we avoided the road closures due to the marathon. We had the cab driver from you-know-where, who didn't know about the marathon(!), and didn't know his way around either the race route or Vancouver in general. It took us 1:15 to get from the pier to the airport. It was stressful.

I'm glad for all those who made it home ok, as did we, after a slow start. We enjoyed meeting everyone, and we enjoyed your live thread, Bill. Can't wait for next time. :)

Marie, love the new watch! And the Thriller make-up. :eek: Very scary. :D :D

I wish we could say we avoided the road closures due to the marathon. We had the cab driver from you-know-where, who didn't know about the marathon(!), and didn't know his way around either the race route or Vancouver in general. It took us 1:15 to get from the pier to the airport. It was stressful.

I'm glad for all those who made it home ok, as did we, after a slow start. We enjoyed meeting everyone, and we enjoyed your live thread, Bill. Can't wait for next time. :)

Glad to hear you made it home safe and sound Karen, even with the taxi delay. Thank-you to Bill for doing this great review. I got to see how you "all" were having a great time.

Karen, Lisa and I are headed out to LAX in June so we will wave to you in spirit.

Andrew

Glad to hear you made it home safe and sound Karen, even with the taxi delay. Thank-you to Bill for doing this great review. I got to see how you "all" were having a great time.

Karen, Lisa and I are headed out to LAX in June so we will wave to you in spirit.

Andrew

Andrew, wave to me in Seattle, as well, as I'll already be boarding Explorer for an Alaska cruise. :D :D What brings you to LAX?

Andrew, wave to me in Seattle, as well, as I'll already be boarding Explorer for an Alaska cruise. :D :D What brings you to LAX?

Without detouring Bill's review too much, we are headed to LA for a private tour of Jay Leno's garage on June 14. We arrive on Sunday the 12th and go home on the 17th. I haven't been to LA and area since I was about 10, so I can only guess what I might remember.

We are doing other tourist items such as a Warner Bros studio tour, Hollywood Walk of Fame, TMZ bus tour etc We are base camped at the Beverly Wilshire so I can only assume Lisa will want to peruse Rodeo Drive as well. ;) I highly suspected that the two of you would be more apt to be at sea than at home, so I figured the virtual wave works perfectly.

Sorry for my "detour" Bill. I look forward to the final updates after you get settled in at home. Thanks again for taking the time to let me enjoy your travels.

Andrew

Edited by A&L_Ont

Without detouring Bill's review too much, we are headed to LA for a private tour of Jay Leno's garage on June 14. We arrive on Sunday the 12th and go home on the 17th. I haven't been to LA and area since I was about 10, so I can only guess what I might remember.

We are doing other tourist items such as a Warner Bros studio tour, Hollywood Walk of Fame, TMZ bus tour etc We are base camped at the Beverly Wilshire so I can only assume Lisa will want to peruse Rodeo Drive as well. ;) I highly suspected that the two of you would be more apt to be at sea than at home, so I figured the virtual wave works perfectly.

Sorry for my "detour" Bill. I look forward to the final updates after you get settled in at home. Thanks again for taking the time to let me enjoy your travels.

Andrew

Andrew, enjoy -- it sounds like fun.

My apologies, also, Bill. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Bill,

I know this is late, but I just found the thread that you did. Thanks for posting the live report and pictures. It brought back such fun memories.

We ( my family and I ) had such a great time. And since my husband was unable to make this trip, with all my talking about this trip we are planning to go back, there is still a lot in Hawaii I would love to see. Anyway, thanks again for posting this and all the pictures....by the way, the picture in the Centrum with the Captain before the cake decorating. You caught me and my sister in the picture.

Missing Hawaii and the ship...:( but at least I will be going back soon.

Denise:)

Hi Bill,

I know this is late, but I just found the thread that you did. Thanks for posting the live report and pictures. It brought back such fun memories.

We ( my family and I ) had such a great time. And since my husband was unable to make this trip, with all my talking about this trip we are planning to go back, there is still a lot in Hawaii I would love to see. Anyway, thanks again for posting this and all the pictures....by the way, the picture in the Centrum with the Captain before the cake decorating. You caught me and my sister in the picture.

Missing Hawaii and the ship...:( but at least I will be going back soon.

Denise:)

Thanks for all the kind words. Glad to hear you are planning to go back. You just can't get enough of the islands. I know we can't. :)

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

We've book Sydney to Hawaii next April , looking for any tips must see /dos for Hawaii , bora bora , moorea, Papeete also any recommendations for good cheaper options to stay in Waikiki looking forward to traveling on radiance so far we have been on voyager and a couple of celebrity solstice journeys, has anyone booked private villa in Waikiki pros and cons

We've book Sydney to Hawaii next April , looking for any tips must see /dos for Hawaii , bora bora , moorea, Papeete also any recommendations for good cheaper options to stay in Waikiki looking forward to traveling on radiance so far we have been on voyager and a couple of celebrity solstice journeys, has anyone booked private villa in Waikiki pros and cons

I'm not so sure a private villa would be a less expensive option than a hotel in Waikiki. We stayed at the Outrigger Ohana East pre-cruise this sailing. I booked a room with a kitchenette for $102 per night AAA rate (the Senior Rate was similar). The hotel is centrally located and walking distance to the beach. The trolley as well as the public bus stops in front of the hotel. Very good location. This room type was located on the corner of the building and included a Juliette balcony on once side and a large window on the other. The bathroom was a bit small with just a shower - no tub. But it was fine for us. There was a grocery story across the street to pick up staples. This isn't the fanciest hotel in Waikiki but it is clean, location is great and the price was great for staying a few days pre-cruise. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

There is a Hawaii board that would be able to provide you good options on what to do in Hawaii.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62

373371535_Ohana1.jpg.615129c105ab33677508701320b27518.jpg

210813806_Ohana2.jpg.74c47e40ddff99733ecbe713a4dd17a4.jpg

The Old Lahaina Luau is the best in our opinion. For your overnight in Maui. Book now. It is on 365 days of the year and you can book online in advance. Seats are assigned by how early you book and the best seats are for the early birds. The show is wonderful, very authentic Hawaiian hula, not touristy.

Plan to take a cab. Liquor is included, the drinks flow freely and you don't want to drive.

Waikiki is very busy now, whatever hotel you choose, don't get a room on the main street, Waikiki blvd, you will have lots of noise.