Is 30 minutes enough time to re-board at a port?

Sigyn

We are traveling on Carnival's new ship, the Vista, in August. At one stop, a tour guide said they can have me back to port 30 minutes before the ship leaves. Is that enough time?

We will be ending our day with our tour guide by having a cocktail at sunset in the port town, close to the ship, until we head back to the ship. So if something unplanned to delay us occurs, we will have an option of cancelling the cocktail and going straight to the ship.

Is 30 minutes enough time to re-board at a small Spanish port? (Palma de mallorca)

Thanks!

We are traveling on Carnival's new ship, the Vista, in August. At one stop, a tour guide said they can have me back to port 30 minutes before the ship leaves. Is that enough time?

We will be ending our day with our tour guide by having a cocktail at sunset in the port town, close to the ship, until we head back to the ship. So if something unplanned to delay us occurs, we will have an option of cancelling the cocktail and going straight to the ship.

Is 30 minutes enough time to re-board at a small Spanish port? (Palma de mallorca)

Thanks!

if its a carnival sponsored excursion, then I think you are fine. If not, I would be nervous about 30 minutes. you 'Should' be ok but I think the ship wants you back on board more than 30 minutes before.

Carnival does ask you be back on board 30 minutes before sailing.

This is something we would never do. Even on a Carnival excursion. We were almost left in Cozumel on a Carnival excursion because the transportation they offered never showed up so they told us we had to walk back to the ship which was a cross town. Gangway was going up as the last of us arrived. Barely made it. If we had been 10 minutes later they would have left us. Yes this was a ship sponsored trip.

In most ports, you have to be back onboard no later than 30 minutes prior to sailing so I would definitely clarify with your tour guide what they mean by "before the ship leaves". Personally, I always plan to be back at the port area an hour before the designated onboard time to allow for any problems. I've seen very long lines to get back onboard for those that wait until the last minute.

I'd also check on the port of call board for info from others that have used this tour guide.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2866/~/shore-excursion-faqs

They want you on board 30 minutes before sailing. I wouldn't count on what your tour guide has to say. Unforeseen complications can arise. Personally, I would get on board at least an hour prior to sailing and enjoy my cocktail at the Red Frog Pub watching the late comers running to get on board lol....

If it's a Carnival Sponsored Tour they will not leave you. If there is a line to board they will not leave anyone that is in line. In some ports we shop or have a drink while watching the line. Once it gets short we go get in line. Never been left behind.

Carnival does ask you be back on board 30 minutes before sailing.

This is something we would never do. Even on a Carnival excursion. We were almost left in Cozumel on a Carnival excursion because the transportation they offered never showed up so they told us we had to walk back to the ship which was a cross town. Gangway was going up as the last of us arrived. Barely made it. If we had been 10 minutes later they would have left us. Yes this was a ship sponsored trip.

I hope you gave someone a piece of your mind for this one!

if its a carnival sponsored excursion, then I think you are fine. If not, I would be nervous about 30 minutes. you 'Should' be ok but I think the ship wants you back on board more than 30 minutes before.

That's not true. Although they would like you to believe that, when the ship is told to sail, they must sail.

That's not true. Although they would like you to believe that, when the ship is told to sail, they must sail.

unless an EXTREME case, they do wait

Do I have to book a shore excursion through Carnival or can I go off on my own? You are not obligated to book shore tours through Carnival in order to leave the ship. Public transportation is available at each port. We suggest you visit your local library, bookstore or a pertinent website to determine where you would like to go.

Carnival does not offer any alternatives from the established shore excursion program. All shore tours sold through Carnival are coordinated with reputable tour operators and include all of the most popular sites of interest.

One of the many benefits of booking excursions through Carnival is a guarantee that the ship will remain in port until all guests are back onboard. Carnival will not be aware of shore tours that are booked independently. Also, keep in mind that some ports have visa requirements that may prevent you from venturing off on your own.

unless an EXTREME case, they do wait

Do I have to book a shore excursion through Carnival or can I go off on my own? You are not obligated to book shore tours through Carnival in order to leave the ship. Public transportation is available at each port. We suggest you visit your local library, bookstore or a pertinent website to determine where you would like to go.

Carnival does not offer any alternatives from the established shore excursion program. All shore tours sold through Carnival are coordinated with reputable tour operators and include all of the most popular sites of interest.

One of the many benefits of booking excursions through Carnival is a guarantee that the ship will remain in port until all guests are back onboard. Carnival will not be aware of shore tours that are booked independently. Also, keep in mind that some ports have visa requirements that may prevent you from venturing off on your own.

"Peace of Mind

We take care of all the details and wait for all Carnival excursions to return before departing."

Am I misreading something?

If they are told they must sail, they must sail regardless of ships sponsored tour or not. Or risk a fine.

I hope you gave someone a piece of your mind for this one!

Yes we did. But of course we were told we were safe on board so they refused to do anything.

People just need to be aware that the ship leaves when it is ready to leave.

I'm another who likes an hour window - and a few times I've been a little too close for comfort.

Once on Victoria Island (Canada) we were slowly strolling the 3 miles back to the ship from town after an amazing day. For some reason (and this is not like me at all) I never even glanced at my watch (and no drinks, 2 teetotalers) about a mile from the ship we were meandering down the shoreline and a woman walking her dog asks if I have the time, when I casually looked at my watch I saw we were 45 minutes from sail away! You never saw 2 geezers running so fast in your life! Lucky for us there were about 15 people ahead of us on the gangway but when we stepped foot on the ship up it went! :eek:

So yes, give yourself an hour. Watch the sunset with a cocktail on board and save yourself some anxiety.

"Peace of Mind

We take care of all the details and wait for all Carnival excursions to return before departing."

Am I misreading something?

They are not supposed to leave you if you are on a Carnival excursion BUT as you see from the above, they will if the ship doesn't get the information that the tour transportation didn't show up!

This is also a good place for my mantra to never, ever, positively never step foot on foreign shores without your passport, credit cards, and identification. I know this drum has been beaten before but you would also be well advised to always purchase trip insurance and preferably book your excursion through Carnival even if they price is higher. Heaven forbid you do miss the ship then it becomes your responsibility to get home or get to the next port of call. If all you have with you is your swimsuit, towel, and your sail and sign card you are pretty much screwed!

All it takes is one small traffic jam or a fender bender, and you're screwed. The last time we were in Grand Cayman, we started our return from seven mile beach two hours before we were scheduled to leave port, and we barely caught the last tender back to the ship. Two locals in a shouting match at an intersection on the only road back to the docks had everything jammed up until the cops managed to get through the jam to break it up.

If they are told they must sail, they must sail regardless of ships sponsored tour or not. Or risk a fine .

It isn't a fine. The ship will be assessed extra dockage fees for every minute they remain at the dock or addition costs for the pilots depending on the port contracts. Why they remain is of no concern to the port authority. Clock starts.

If they are told they must sail, they must sail regardless of ships sponsored tour or not. Or risk a fine.

The port authorities are not going to make a cruise line "unhappy" by telling them to leave a couple of hundred passengers behind, at least before the scheduled time that agreed upon. So sorry but your insistence on this does not hold water, so to say. And in a situation that your scenario should come about the cruise line would determine if the cost to repatriate the passengers is less than whatever fine would be issued.

Edited by restasured

This is also a good place for my mantra to never, ever, positively never step foot on foreign shores without your passport, credit cards, and identification. I know this drum has been beaten before but you would also be well advised to always purchase trip insurance and preferably book your excursion through Carnival even if they price is higher. Heaven forbid you do miss the ship then it becomes your responsibility to get home or get to the next port of call. If all you have with you is your swimsuit, towel, and your sail and sign card you are pretty much screwed!

H

I agree. However, in an earlier thread about passports there were all sorts of misconceptions. " We were told by the daily paper to leave our passports in our safe". " Never take your passport ashore, you'll be screwed if you get your pocket picked". "The ship held our passport at the Pursers desk".

H

I agree. However, in an earlier thread about passports there were all sorts of misconceptions. " We were told by the daily paper to leave our passports in our safe". " Never take your passport ashore, you'll be screwed if you get your pocket picked". "The ship held our passport at the Pursers desk".

My Passport stays locked in my safe. Much higher chance of it getting lost or stolen than me missing the ship. However, JH has addressed this time and time again. While I don't necessarily think all the information he gives is always accurate, I believe this to be true as I have heard them page people shortly before the ship leaves. I'm guessing it's because they haven't gotten back onboard yet. Here is an excerpt from a post to JH. No misconceptions here, just info from someone who deals with this all the time. Surely if it was a good idea to risk your Passport, Carnival would tell you to. They have nothing to gain monetarily by giving you bum info. Do what you want, but mine stays in my safe where it won't get misplaced. From JH:

The passport question is a good one because we do have the occasionally person who, sponsored by Carlos,his Frogs and his Three Friends fail through Tequila filled eyes, the big white thing pulling away from the pier and sailing into the sodding sunset.

Obviously we have a guest count based on our A Pass security system or the “ping “ machine on the gangway. If we are missing guests close to sailing time they are paged through the emergency system just in case their sail and sign card failed to “ping” and register when they put it in the slot. This is though a rare occurrence and if they are showing as not on board…………..it’s because , they are not on board.

If we are now a few minutes away from sailing a ship’s security guard accompanied by housekeeping will collect and sign for the safe master key, go into the guest cabin and collect the passport. The passports are then given to the ship’s agent. We have a company in every port who handles the ship’s affairs during the time it is docked there. The agent will then wait on the pier for the guests to come and then help the guests through the immigration process and assist with hotels and an airline ticket hopefully to the next port rather than home.

This is one of the reasons we do recommend passports and also as a Cruise Director I always advised guests to take ashore a copy of the Funtimes as it contains not only the time all guests must be on board …………….but the agents name and telephone number should you require assistance.

All it takes is one small traffic jam or a fender bender, and you're screwed. The last time we were in Grand Cayman, we started our return from seven mile beach two hours before we were scheduled to leave port, and we barely caught the last tender back to the ship. Two locals in a shouting match at an intersection on the only road back to the docks had everything jammed up until the cops managed to get through the jam to break it up.

I was on two CCL sponsored tours that were delayed an hour past the sail away time on returning to the ship due to traffic accidents that clogged major arteries.

The first was on the Carnival Miracle in Panama and the second was from Florence. Italy (Livorno) on the Crown Princess.

Both times the ship was informed of the delay by the tour guide and both times the ships waited for my tour. There was no worry either time that the ship would leave port without us.

And yes, the gangway was being retracted into the ship as the last pax was boarded.

Edited by evandbob

I was on two CCL sponsored tours that were delayed an hour past the sail away time on returning to the ship due to traffic accidents that clogged major arteries.

And had you not been on a ship's sponsored excursion, you would have been able to get really good pictures of the ship sailing away ;)