First and LAST time booking directly though Carnival!!

Luvsnorkeling

if there is a lesson here its to make sure you do research on type of promotion you book. It wouldn't have taken more than a few minutes to see what deals are out there and the limitations of the promotions.

I would hope all newbies read this and understand what deals they are getting before even talking to a rep for any cruise line. they all have promotions and all the promotions have limitations

If you book online, you will get pop ups telling you what you are buying as far as the rules for the ES rate and such as vacation protection.

If you call, you are taking the word of the rep with nothing visual to see.

You should see the policy in black and white before purchasing. It's wise not to take their word for it.

Trip insurance through third party is a much better value as far as price and coverage limits than through the cruise line in most cases.

Retired to cruise,

Who prints out their documents 11 months before their cruise? Have been on more than 15 cruises and have never printed docs that early! They wouldn't even be complete by then until final payment made, shore excursions booked, etc.

Guess maybe some do though...

Not to turn on you, but Within 5 minutes of buying my insurance, I printed out the policy, had it hole punched and in my cruise notebook.

What? Am I the only one with a notebook?

No.....really....

As I said, I was not told what type of booking I was booked under--just given a price. Only found that out when I tried to file insurance.

Everyone--ask questions of the booking agent!! I thought I had covered the bases, especially when securing what I thought was cancel for any reason insurance!

Everyone--ask questions of the booking agent!! I thought I had covered the bases, especially when securing what I thought was cancel for any reason insurance!

and do your own research before calling any agent, TA, PVP or anyone else. dont take anyone's word when you have the ability to research yourself

I'm sorry this happened to you. The rep should have gone over the restrictions with early saver. That information is usually recited. Even dealing with a TA. I don't know what kinda quack you got on the phone. You should still only lose $50pp to change to another date. The rest is held as a credit to use within 2 years. Why would you lose your entire deposit? You may be put off with Carnival but at least use that credit for a new booking and then be done with them.

And yes I try and print out everything as I go and keep all that crap in a folder/binder. I certainly would have been tapping my fingers waiting for an email with my policy had I not gotten it after the call ended.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Retired to cruise,

Who prints out their documents 11 months before their cruise? Have been on more than 15 cruises and have never printed docs that early! They wouldn't even be complete by then until final payment made, shore excursions booked, etc.

I have a folder that I keep and print out my booking info with payments made, itinerary and anything purchased such as excursions, water or liquor, etc.

Try not to let this one bad experience sour you on Carnival. One bad phone rep does not represent the product.

I have gotten a cancel for any reason plan from Carnival once before, I think it was two or three years ago. But for my cruise least year, it was not available anymore, and for my upcoming cruise this year, it was also not available, according to my pvp. I, only recently began looking at Carnival's insurance plan's coverage, and see that it is not the best, so I heeded the advice of posters on here, and got a policy from insuremytrip. Much better coverage. Cost more, but much better coverage in my opinion. However it also is not cancel for any reason, but has a broad range of reasons to cancel.

I started buying carnival insurance last two years and I have never seen cancel for any reason?? I would love to know if they actually still have this product???

No.....really....

Pops,

I'm with you, but my notebook is in the cloud, backed up a couple of ways.

Every document I get

Every Tip I learn on CC

My budget

All in one folder, that I'll print out closer to my embark, so no but YES!

Edited by jac-3
Grammar

I have always booked my cruises through a cruise agency. However, due to various posts proclaiming the "benefits" of booking directly through Carnival, I decided to give it a try.

Upon booking, I made it clear to the Carnival representative that I wanted cancel for any reason insurance, since my cruise was near the Thanksgiving holidays and things can always change depending on family members' decisions. I was assured that this was what I had, and my card was immediately charged for the insurance plus deposit.

When I book through other cruise agencies, I always get cancel for any reason insurance. I've had to file a claim in the past and never had any problems with receiving payment. So I assumed it would be the same with Carnival and their insurance. Boy, was I wrong!!

Although I received an invoice for the cruise, I never received a copy of the insurance policy. Since that was my first time booking with Carnival, I had no idea to even expect to receive one. So just a few weeks after booking, something arose where I needed to cancel the cruise. When I called Carnival, they said I needed to contact the insurance company and file a claim. So I did that, only to receive a form from the company saying I had to qualify for refund of my money under one of the "covered reasons." I called the insurance company and explained that I had cancel for any reason insurance and did not fall under any of their "covered reasons." Imagine my surprise to be told that I DID NOT have cancel for any reason insurance and that I would have to call Carnival to work it out!

Upon calling Carnival, I got nowhere. They told me that the insurance I had purchased was only cancel for one of the covered reasons and that it was stated in the policy. I explained that the booking agent had not explained that to me and that I had never received a copy of the policy so I could review it. All I got from the person I spoke with and the one or two others she checked with was, "Sorry, that's our policy." So I am out my money with no recourse!

I will NEVER book with Carnival again and probably will never sail with them again either. If someone is going to work in their employ, they need to train them in the products they sell and how to explain them to the customer. And they should take responsibility for the failure of their agents to provide such explanation and failure to send a copy of the policy to the customer.

I'm sure all the Carnival "loyals" will flame me and say this is all my fault. All I can say is...if it were you and your money, you would sing a different tune!

I am posting this simply to WARN others. If you book through Carnival, INSIST on getting a copy of any insurance policy you purchase through them and make the agent read/explain it to your total satisfaction before you get off the phone. Then watch to be sure you actually receive the policy and READ it! If it's not what you agreed upon, WASTE NO TIME in calling Carnival to speak directly with a supervisor! And keep your fingers crossed that they will even believe what you say!

Squeaky wheel gets the grease. Call and demand they fix it and give you something extra.

Not to turn on you, but Within 5 minutes of buying my insurance, I printed out the policy, had it hole punched and in my cruise notebook.

No.....really....

Same here.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Retired to cruise,

We print out our documents as soon as we book whether 7 days or 12 months in advance.

Sorry this happened to you. This is why we always check online 1st to check prices and cabins, then call Carnival. This way if there is a price discrepancy, we ask what rate the rep is booking us at.

We also don't get insurance thru the cruise line. We go 3rd party.

OP, this makes a better case for purchasing third party insurance. I for one do appreciate learning vicariously through this experience and not having to learn it the hard way myself.

Edited by sparks1093

Not a troll...what a ridiculous comment!!! Been posting on here for MANY years on various cruise lines' boards, which can easily be checked out. Why would I go to the trouble and time to write numerous paragraphs just to troll Carnival? Have much better things to do with my time. Give me a royal break!! Just trying to warn others...

Yes, I finally found out it was ES. But the rep did not tell me about all the restrictions of ES! Not a frequent Carnival cruiser and did not know ES from any other type of booking. When rep heard me say I wanted cancel for any reason insurance, why did he not tell me right then and there that this type of booking ALREADY came with a cancellation penalty that even insurance would not refund? Now I'm out my deposit AND the insurance premiums for two people! And yes, the Carnival insurance was more expensive than the same type of insurance I've bought through other cruise agencies in the past. That's why I never dreamed it was not cancel for any reason.

Believe me--I've learned my lesson! Will get my own insurance in the future!!

You are only out of your deposit if you don't use the credit within the specified time period. You only lose $50pp for the cancellation fee and they give you a credit for the rest. Once you've purchased the insurance you cannot get a refund of it, I don't believe that I've read anywhere of an insurance company refunding that.

I am confused...is your cruise for this coming Thanksgiving? Because if so you are before final payment and can cancel without penalty. Is it something from previous years?:confused:

Your right, if this is a Thanksgiving cruise for 2016 the cancellation period is still several months away.

Also, the last time I checked the Carnival insurance did not include a cancellation for any reason clause.

Your right, if this is a Thanksgiving cruise for 2016 the cancellation period is still several months away.

Also, the last time I checked the Carnival insurance did not include a cancellation for any reason clause.

It sounds like in a follow on posting OP clarified that he is out the cost of the insurance and his deposit. The cost of the insurance is not refundable under any circumstances once you've accepted it. The rest is covered under the ES rules, so OP is out $100 and the cost of the insurance.

Retired to cruise,

You don't print them all at that time. You just print the basic booking info which includes the Vacation Insurance Plan. After all, it is smart to read the documents that describe what you paid for. Otherwise you will end up like the poster that started this string.

I started buying carnival insurance last two years and I have never seen cancel for any reason?? I would love to know if they actually still have this product???

I have not seen or heard of it since that one time I got it, so probably not available anymore. I specifically asked for it when I booked my cruise for this year and my pvp said it was not available now.

You are only out of your deposit if you don't use the credit within the specified time period. You only lose $50pp for the cancellation fee and they give you a credit for the rest. Once you've purchased the insurance you cannot get a refund of it, I don't believe that I've read anywhere of an insurance company refunding that.

Normally, I would agree; however, there is a way to get Carnival insurance refunded. If you are prior to the final payment for the cruise (which OP is), you can log into your account online and "cancel" the insurance portion. [NOTE: This does not provide a refund, as such, it rolls the amount you paid as payment for your cruise.] This should be done BEFORE calling Carnival to cancel the cruise.

The net effect is that the money is still yours, only as a future cruise credit, if you booked ES (as OP did).

Normally, I would agree; however, there is a way to get Carnival insurance refunded. If you are prior to the final payment for the cruise (which OP is), you can log into your account online and "cancel" the insurance portion. [NOTE: This does not provide a refund, as such, it rolls the amount you paid as payment for your cruise.] This should be done BEFORE calling Carnival to cancel the cruise.

The net effect is that the money is still yours, only as a future cruise credit, if you booked ES (as OP did).

I can see how that would work, thanks for pointing it out!

I can see how that would work, thanks for pointing it out!

Prior experience!

OP, call Carnival back and tell them since you are not using the insurance and would have canceled it prior to canceling the cruise, you want it refunded to you. You will need to get a supervisor for this, but I have had success doing this when I had to cancel a 3rd person from our last cruise.