Sea Sick

They have the same active ingredient, meclizine I think it's called.

If you Google 'sea legs ship to Australia' you will find a couple of pharmacies who do that. However it's much more economical to buy Bonine from the States, I used eBay, I think it was $20 for 100 pills including shipping.

I'm a UK expat and mum dosed me on Sealegs regularly as a child. I found them in NZ for my daughter who gets terribly motion sick. They are simply the best motion sickness meds I have ever found, and the fact they last 24 hours is an added bonus. I tried to get them in UK last year but no pharmacy I tried had them. Definitely recommend them, take them before bed on the night before travel [emoji4]

Sea-Legs are fine - same ingredients as Bonine, just half the dose in comparison. This would probably make them good for kids. Can buy them from NZ online.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Sea Legs tablet contains Meclozine hydrochloride BP 12.5mg.

I imported the same type of tablet from the USA, and start taking them 2 days before the cruise at night, they work great.

I also use electronic "relief bands" when its really rough.

Edited by 6666oz

I use seasick pills made by Paihia Pharmacy commenly known as Paihai bombs. First tried them around 20 years ago when I was doing a lot of game fishing. Had used sealegs but they didn't seem to work for me. I was told about the paihai bombs at the fishing club and haven't looked back.

We now take them with us when cruising and have recommended them to many others who have found they work well.

This seasickness prevention is well talked about in the fishing and yachting communities over here.

I contacted the Pharmacist for some information and he sent through the following fact sheet

Paihia Pharmacy

PO Box 385

2 Williams Road

PAIHIA, New Zealand.

Phone (09) 402 7034

Fax (09) 402 7342

Email: paihiapharmacy@xtra.co.nz

SEPTEMBER 2015.

PAIHIA PHARMACY SEASICK CAPSULES: FACT SHEET.

"PAIHIA BOMBS"TM

The Paihia Pharmacy's seasick remedy (Paihia Bombs) is a product which has been available from Paihia Pharmacy for many years.

The formulation comprises one blue tablet and one white capsule. These two make one days (24 hours) dose. The tablet contains an antihistamine effective against motion sickness. The capsule contains caffeine and hyoscine. The caffeine counteracts the drowsiness that may be caused by the antihistamine, while the hyoscine is an anti-nauseant. We recommend that the blue tablet is taken first, 1 to 2 hours before travelling, and the white capsule is taken half an hour after the blue tablet. Both are taken before travelling. This one dose is effective for 24 hours. Their shelf life is 2 years.

Some other details are: We can only sell them to you for your own personal use. We will not supply them to any dive or fishing charter organisation or other commercial organisation.

The product is not suitable for diving.

Children under 12 years old cannot take them, pregnant women cannot take them and patients with a history of heart problems e.g. heart by-pass surgery or irregular heart beats or faulty heart valves, cannot take them.

The only side effect may be a slightly dry mouth.

We do accept phone or fax orders for the seasick capsules. One dose costs NZ$3.50 plus a courier fee of NZ$5.00. So 10 doses will cost NZ$40.00. 20 doses will cost NZ$75.00 (These are New Zealand retail prices).

Air Mail service for overseas delivery is NZ$15 for Australia and more for other overseas countries.

To Australia:

i.e 10 doses will cost NZ$35 plus $15 post, or 20 doses NZ$70 plus $15 post . Delivery time overseas is 4 - 10 days.

20 doses is the maximum quantity we sell.

Our phone number is: NZ 09 4027034 Fax: 09 4027342

From overseas : +64 9 4027034 Fax number +64 9 4027342

If you have any further queries phone or fax or email us.

Murray Jenkin (Pharmacist)

Hope this helps

Placebo effect.

I am living proof that you can train yourself not to be sick at sea simply by will power and positive thinking. I used to throw my guts up in my early days in the Navy and I eventually trained myself and worked my way off the issued tablets and no longer get sick.

I think the tablets are nothing more than a placebo effect and I think the longer people spend at sea then the higher the chances are of overcoming this and not needing tablets.

Placebo effect.

I am living proof that you can train yourself not to be sick at sea simply by will power and positive thinking. I used to throw my guts up in my early days in the Navy and I eventually trained myself and worked my way off the issued tablets and no longer get sick.

I think the tablets are nothing more than a placebo effect and I think the longer people spend at sea then the higher the chances are of overcoming this and not needing tablets.

Thats called "getting your sea legs..."it happens to everyone eventually. I am sorry to hear that it took you so long.

I am living proof that it only took 1 cruise and now I no longer get sick.

Thank you everyone for your input. Didn't know about the Paihia Bombs. Noted on the web spelling for active ingredient in Sea-Legs, etc range from Meclizine to Meclozine to Meclazine Hydrochloride. Wonder which is correct

Thank you everyone for your input. Didn't know about the Paihia Bombs. Noted on the web spelling for active ingredient in Sea-Legs, etc range from Meclizine to Meclozine to Meclazine Hydrochloride. Wonder which is correct

....just to add to Big Gees post on the Paihia Bombs......they were created for visitors to the Bay of Islands to take when they were going out on the water for a day trip. Many a trip was spoilt by folk getting sick , so by taking the "bomb" they could go out and enjoy the day.....:):)

Another thought to bear in mind is that there is quite a difference in the "motion" of small craft out in the harbour or bay ,as opposed to the "motion" of a large cruise ship.....;)