Escape november 5 Not availablr

backsbanny

This really stinks, I already made non-refundable hotel reservations for before and after the cruise... I have not been notified and will be calling them tomorrow. how do i handle this? Do i call my TA or NCL direct? Thanks

This really stinks, I already made non-refundable hotel reservations for before and after the cruise... I have not been notified and will be calling them tomorrow. how do i handle this? Do i call my TA or NCL direct? Thanks

Having been on cancelled/rescheduled NCL cruises recently, guest relations are pretty reasonable with reimbursement requests. They are not fast (it usually takes several months to get the refund check). But they will normally compensate you for things like non-refundable hotel reservations.

I have not been notified and will be calling them tomorrow. how do i handle this? Do i call my TA or NCL direct?

It is your TAs job to handle things like these. But if you absolutely want, you can maybe call NCL directly in a case like this.

I feel for you! You can do either at this point call wise. If you need something that NCL has not offered, maybe have the TA take care of it. Personally, I'm extremely fed up with this (it's causing way too much stress!) and my plan is to get it resolved today. I am disgusted with NCL right now. I put in a call last night asking my travel agency why I had received NOTHING on this cancellation, yet I see others have been notified.

Here's how the conversation went:

Me: Hello, I'm so and so and I'm booked on the NCL Escape 11/5/2016 cruise that has been cancelled.

Beverly the TA: It has not been cancelled.

Me: Oh yes it has.

Beverly: Not by us. Not by NCL.

Me: Again yes it is cancelled by NCL.

Beverly: What exactly are you looking for?

Me: Some COMMUNICATION as to what is going on.

Beverly: Ok, let me see.

***** ON HOLD FOR 45 MINUTES (by now I think Beverly has left the building and gone home) *****

Beverly: Well, I talked to someone at NCL and they knew NOTHING about it being cancelled. She then talked to someone else who told her yes it was cancelled. (Here's the best part!) NCL had not notified my travel agency!

-----------

It took me telling my agency (again) that this flippin' cruise has been cancelled. Why is this a big secret?!? What a PITA!

Edited by Glitter nails

Is this situation a PITA for those involved Absolutely! But the reality of the matter is cruiselines can do exactly what they did. Airlines can cancel flights after booking and making arrangements in destination city. ( Had that happen last year).

As far as communication from NCL , we knew before NCL released the info that they changed sailing time from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. on the Escape. Figure that out.

I'm sure people had already planned to fly in the day before, when in fact they could have flown in day of and saved a nights hotel/food/beverage.

Corporation are going to do what's best for THIER bottom line and the consumer does pay the price.

Is this situation a PITA for those involved Absolutely! But the reality of the matter is cruiselines can do exactly what they did. Airlines can cancel flights after booking and making arrangements in destination city. ( Had that happen last year).

As far as communication from NCL , we knew before NCL released the info that they changed sailing time from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. on the Escape. Figure that out.

I'm sure people had already planned to fly in the day before, when in fact they could have flown in day of and saved a nights hotel/food/beverage.

Corporation are going to do what's best for THIER bottom line and the consumer does pay the price.

It is incumbent upon consumers to let corporations know that it is unacceptable. If they are unhappy with NCL cancelling, failing to notify them, and offering poor compensation, then consumers should cancel the cruise and take their money elsewhere.

NCL may think twice about their policies for handling cancelled cruises and charters if they continue to lose a substantial portion of the previously booked berths and aren't able to move them to other cruises.

It is incumbent upon consumers to let corporations know that it is unacceptable. If they are unhappy with NCL cancelling, failing to notify them, and offering poor compensation, then consumers should cancel the cruise and take their money elsewhere.

NCL may think twice about their policies for handling cancelled cruises and charters if they continue to lose a substantial portion of the previously booked berths and aren't able to move them to other cruises.

As several other posts have stated (including the one you quoted), this is in no way NCL related problem but happens regularly within the whole industry. You can't avoid charters or other cancellations "by taking [your] money elsewhere" if you want to enjoy cruise vacations.

If you go with one of the price protect options you will get your current perks and OBC, PLUS the $50 OBC on top of it.

Im the same boat as you with the flights, I changed my flights yesterday and it cost me $434 per person...absolutely nothing I could do it was the cheapest option. This was far too close to cancel knowing full well many people fly to Miami to go on the Escape. Booking flights 6-months out is very common practice for those who want inexpensive flights.

What if my on board credit was more than the $50 they are now offering? Do I get both?

I booked early to get the cabin, price, and week I wanted. Now trying to get a week that all 8 of us can do, change flights and their $300 may not even cover it, plus losing money from pre-paid hotel for two nights.

Really unhappy with NCL. I could see if it was further out but not at 6 months

I have to laugh at the people talking about NCL failing to notify them. I honestly think some people falsely think they deserve to have an offer in hand before the ink is even dry on the charter contract. Cut them some slack. Give them time to put the offer together first. Damn! I'm sure they could notify you much sooner if they weren't offering you anything, so keep on bitching, and maybe it will come to that.

As several other posts have stated (including the one you quoted), this is in no way NCL related problem but happens regularly within the whole industry. You can't avoid charters or other cancellations "by taking [your] money elsewhere" if you want to enjoy cruise vacations.

Yes to a point. They can fault NCL for their handling of it. I fortunately have never experienced it. From reading posts here, it does seem that other lines do a better job of communicating the change, offering better compensation and being more accommodating.

While charters can't be completely avoided except by last minute bookings, passengers can definitely choose lines that handle the process more to their liking.

Plain and simply NCL's communication stinks. Just for this cruise these are the changes we encountered from booking to cancellation.

1. Margaritaville changed from complimentary to a la carte - no notification

2. Departure change - received notification but weeks after finding out about it on CC.

3. Entertainment changes - no notification. Nor did they notify people who had pre-exisiting reservations.

4. Cancellation - seriously how hard is it to draft a group email to all the travel agencies they are working with??

We bailed last week when the first hints of a cancellation surfaced. But it seems ludicrous to offer people additional Latitude Rewards for booking > 9 months out when it may not even be the same cruise you originally signed on for at that time. We will utilize NCL for complimentary cruises but will not pay full fare ever again in the future.

I have to laugh at the people talking about NCL failing to notify them. I honestly think some people falsely think they deserve to have an offer in hand before the ink is even dry on the charter contract. Cut them some slack. Give them time to put the offer together first. Damn! I'm sure they could notify you much sooner if they weren't offering you anything, so keep on bitching, and maybe it will come to that.

NCL should notify people once the cruise is cancelled. Jeez!

4. Cancellation - seriously how hard is it to draft a group email to all the travel agencies they are working with??

Apparently it's very hard. NCL dropped the ball on this one. In the end, my travel agent really did a great job and got me exactly what I wanted. I got a cruise outside the dates they had set in the infamous letter, priced protected with all my perks. He even got them to give me an upgrade on the cabin. I'm happy in the end, but the process to get here was a pain.

Actually before six month mark is the usual time for cancellations like this.

Many experinced posters here can tell you not to book anything non-refundable (or at least have a third party insurance that covers events like this) until after six month mark if you want to be reasonably sure that the cruise won't be cancelled because of a charter. Even that is not 100% certain, but after six month mark the chances of it happening usually seem to be quite low.

So I wouldn't say that this would be a short notice at all - quite usual timeframe for a single cancellation like this, actually.

Yes, exactly.

It really is the exact opposite. If they are negotiating a charter, then they know they are going to be cancelling cruises. That is exactly the time to start working on what the offer will be so they can execute very shortly after the charter is finalized and signed. If NCL isn't considering their costs in accommodating booked passengers when negotiating the charter rate, then they are falling down on the job.

It really is the exact opposite. If they are negotiating a charter, then they know they are going to be cancelling cruises. That is exactly the time to start working on what the offer will be so they can execute very shortly after the charter is finalized and signed. If NCL isn't considering their costs in accommodating booked passengers when negotiating the charter rate, then they are falling down on the job.

Negotiations mean nothing. They would have no way of knowing they are going to cancel the cruise until a written contract for charter is in place. No one should be booking unrefundable anything 6 and 1/2 - 7 months in advance without insurance. That is just crazy. Nonetheless, I'm sure you can get NCL to cover your reasonable cancellation / change fees.

Negotiations mean nothing. They would have no way of knowing they are going to cancel the cruise until a written contract for charter is in place. No one should be booking unrefundable anything 6 and 1/2 - 7 months in advance without insurance. That is just crazy. Nonetheless, I'm sure you can get NCL to cover your reasonable cancellation / change fees.

Negotiations mean a lot once they get serious. Advance planning on compensation offers should definitely be happening at that point. Now, I do agree NCL should not say a word until the charter is final. It isn't done until its done. But once it is done, NCL should be ready to move quickly in communicating the cancellation and the offer to those affected. It shouldn't take weeks after it has been reported by other sources. A simple email of, "For business reasons (or whatever), NCL Escape is no longer available for the November 5th cruise. We regret any inconvenience this has caused and we will be communicating to you shortly with alternatives to fit your vacation needs. Please bear with us while we put these options together. We wanted you to find out first from us, so please allow us a few days to reach out to you with some alternatives."

Also, there is more to it than just non-refundable. Some people simply cannot move their vacation, it has to be a certain time for work or other reasons. My grandfather worked for an office that closed the same week every July. It was non-negotiable, the office would be closed and that was their primary vacation.

And finally, I don't see why you feel the need to defend NCL. If someone is unhappy with how NCL has handled the cancellation, why should they be discouraged from trying another line or vacation provider that better fits their needs?

I am reminded of a phrase a colleague often uses. "A person convinced against his will is still of the same opinion."

I hear that the Escape for November 5 has been chartered out to "The Furries".

That was only a small group of them. They have had this cruise planned for a while. So unless there was several thousand of them coming out of the woodwork all of a sudden, this brand new charter isn't because of them,

Negotiations mean a lot once they get serious. Advance planning on compensation offers should definitely be happening at that point. Now, I do agree NCL should not say a word until the charter is final. It isn't done until its done. But once it is done, NCL should be ready to move quickly in communicating the cancellation and the offer to those affected. It shouldn't take weeks after it has been reported by other sources. A simple email of, "For business reasons (or whatever), NCL Escape is no longer available for the November 5th cruise. We regret any inconvenience this has caused and we will be communicating to you shortly with alternatives to fit your vacation needs. Please bear with us while we put these options together. We wanted you to find out first from us, so please allow us a few days to reach out to you with some alternatives."

Also, there is more to it than just non-refundable. Some people simply cannot move their vacation, it has to be a certain time for work or other reasons. My grandfather worked for an office that closed the same week every July. It was non-negotiable, the office would be closed and that was their primary vacation.

And finally, I don't see why you feel the need to defend NCL. If someone is unhappy with how NCL has handled the cancellation, why should they be discouraged from trying another line or vacation provider that better fits their needs?

I am reminded of a phrase a colleague often uses. "A person convinced against his will is still of the same opinion."

I'm not defending them ... a lot of it is just common sense. I have had cruises cancelled by NCL as well. I think those upset should go to another cruise line. It's just unfortunate that they think the same thing can't and won't happen with any cruise line.

I'm not defending them ... a lot of it is just common sense. I have had cruises cancelled by NCL as well. I think those upset should go to another cruise line. It's just unfortunate that they think the same thing can't and won't happen with any cruise line.

Please re-read what was posted. They were not upset it was cancelled, they were upset that NCL has done such a poor job of handling it.

I agree, getting upset it was cancelled while normal, is not productive. It can happen and will happen. It is very reasonable to get upset that it has not been handled well.

I think the Golden Rule should be a mandatory class in business school. Executives and management really should be asking themselves. "Ok, if I just had my cruise cancelled, what would I want to happen and is that reasonable?"

Edit:

I will add, to me reasonable is a comparable cruise. While it won't be exact, that is same time and same itinerary. Find a cruise from the same or nearby port leaving on the same day +/- as well as a cruise with the same itinerary but on a different date. That way you have covered whether it was those dates or the ports that attracted the passengers and I think most would find that reasonable. Obviously cover any fees (which I believe NCL does) incurred by the cancellation and perhaps some OBC or upgrades to apologize for the inconvenience.

Edited by bruadhin

How does this work anyway? It doesn't even look like the fares are sold, they are currently "selling" them.... and we get bumped smh http://furrycruise.com/ And according to this post here http://www.furrycruise.com/forum/index.php?topic=49.msg105#new

They opened booking for it September 2015 for this cruise. And we just find out?

Edited by BlackCat9Lives