Dress Codes Change Again

figgy1978

Thanks for the clarification.

So, does Cunard sell a package that includes flight and cruise? And would that just be from the UK or anywhere?

Of course, we in Arizona have to fly to ANY cruise.:(:(

Cheers!

We found many passengers from continental Europe on our Med cruise, so I think this is marketed from there there well.

Anyone can book from anywhere though by arranging their own flights.

David

AZNative2000, UK fares tend to include flights because there are only two airports involved: Heathrow and the ship's embarkation port. In the US flights have to be arranged over the telephone or through a TA as we are coming from far too many departure points and connections for them to be rolled into the fare.

For many years - from the mid 1970s up until shortly after the QM2 entered service - transatlantic fares for US and Canadian passengers included a free flight in the opposite direction. The brochure for the first season of the QM2 offered these free flights to or from 102 airports in the US and Canada.

I used this free flight offer several times. It was normally on British Airways and upgrades to Club and First Class were available. For passengers who didn't want the flight, a lower "cruise only" fare was available. Passengers would normally have to request this, although I recall the lower fare was sometime published in the brochures.

AZNative2000, UK fares tend to include flights because there are only two airports involved: Heathrow and the ship's embarkation port. In the US flights have to be arranged over the telephone or through a TA as we are coming from far too many departure points and connections for them to be rolled into the fare.

Thank you! That makes sense.

We found many passengers from continental Europe on our Med cruise, so I think this is marketed from there there well.

Anyone can book from anywhere though by arranging their own flights.

David

And arranging our own flights is just what we did. A couple of lines have air built-in to the price and the price gets smaller if you book your own so I wanted to be aware if I was paying twice. I see that I am not paying twice and am, very much, looking forward to our first Cunard voyage.:):)

Cheers!

Edited by AZNative2000

Booked on the QM November run down to the Caribbean. No "jacket optional" listed on VP. Of the 12 nights, 4 are formal and 7 are informal "jacket required, tie optional."

I will be wearing a tie with the jackets on all of the informal nights, and a Tux on the formals.

I got my basic training ;) on proper dress during my many crossings/cruises with QE2.

Booked on the QM November run down to the Caribbean. No "jacket optional" listed on VP. Of the 12 nights, 4 are formal and 7 are informal "jacket required, tie optional." I will be wearing a tie with the jackets on all of the informal nights, and a Tux on the formals. I got my basic training ;) on proper dress during my many crossings/cruises with QE2.
Hi bobby1119,

Just to let you know pmqua1 has a roll-call (plus meet&greet planned) for the 26th Nov-8th Dec 2016 QM2 Caribbean Cruise: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2211404 :)

It would be a genuine pleasure to meet you, if possible/you are available.

Best wishes,

Edited by pepperrn

Hi bobby1119,

Just to let you know pmqua1 has a roll-call (plus meet&greet planned) for the 26th Nov-8th Dec 2016 QM2 Caribbean Cruise: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2211404 :)

It would be a genuine pleasure to meet you, if possible/you are available.

Best wishes,

Pepper, it sounds like you have another voyage planned! Good for you! I'm still waiting on health issues to remediate, while living vicariously through the voyages of others---the generous people who are kind enough to post on this Cunard CC board.

I know the best photos after QM2's remodel will be posted by you and I look forward to seeing them next December!

Happy Sailing to YOU, Pepper !!!

Jimmybean

Edited by jimmybean

The statement, "dumbing down the dresscode," is further proof of the snobbery that has become so pervasive in so many Cunarders these days. Being dressed casually does not make someone dumb.

When we sailed the old QE2, it was evident that people of all economic classes were kind and respectful to other passengers. On her, as I waited for an elevator with my mother in her wheelchair, and it would arrive full, people would get off to accommodate someone with a disability.

We even had such kindness on Disney and other less formal cruise lines.

Now, especially on QM2, I have waited as long as 20 minutes after a show to get an elevator that was not full, because heaven forbid the "dressed" classes would dare to inconvenience themselves and step off, offering their place to one in need. I would think think, from reading this post, that people who dress correctly would behave correctly.

My point? Just because someone is in "proper dress" does not mean that they will behave properly. I would prefer a casually attired ("dumbed down") group of passengers than rude people dressed to the teeth. Clothes do NOT make the man! Yet, so many Cunarders do nothing but complain about dress codes, and nothing about the ignorance that has become so pervasive.

The statement, "dumbing down the dresscode," is further proof of the snobbery that has become so pervasive in so many Cunarders these days. Being dressed casually does not make someone dumb.

When we sailed the old QE2, it was evident that people of all economic classes were kind and respectful to other passengers. On her, as I waited for an elevator with my mother in her wheelchair, and it would arrive full, people would get off to accommodate someone with a disability.

Now, especially on QM2, I have waited as long as 20 minutes after a show to get an elevator that was not full, because heaven forbid the "dressed" classes would dare to inconvenience themselves and step off, offering their place to one in need. I would think think, from reading this post, that people who dress correctly would behave correctly.

My point? Just because someone is in "proper dress" does not mean that they will behave properly. I would prefer a casually attired ("dumbed down") group of passengers than rude people dressed to the teeth. Clothes do NOT make the man! Yet, so many Cunarders do nothing but complain about dress codes, and nothing about the ignorance that has become so pervasive.

Well said.

Dumbing down anything has no reference to intelligence.

No clothes do not make the man, but complying to a standard you knew about when you booked is a sign that you are a man and not a selfish little boy that thinks the world revolves around him.

Dumbing down anything has no reference to intelligence.

No clothes do not make the man, but complying to a standard you knew about when you booked is a sign that you are a man and not a selfish little boy that thinks the world revolves around him.

It is really simple, GUT2407, isn't it?

Expectations are clearly defined in advance. Compliance is a matter of respect for fellow passengers, who expect the dress code to be followed.

Character isn't in the clothes, but in people who respect one another.

We all wear clothes, anyway. What's the big deal wearing clothes that comply with dress standards?

It is really simple, GUT2407, isn't it?

Expectations are clearly defined in advance. Compliance is a matter of respect for fellow passengers, who expect the dress code to be followed.

Character isn't in the clothes, but in people who respect one another.

We all wear clothes, anyway. What's the big deal wearing clothes that comply with dress standards?

If I booked, having no dress code in place and on boarding was told I needed to wear certain clothes I'd probably not be too happy, but when the code has been in place (not just Cunard, but most lines) for a fair while now, I just can't see the issue.

I'm not that old (OK mid 50s) but was bought up to show respect and to me that includes complying with the standards I agreed to by booking.

And it's not just dress code, it's booze smugglers, it's smoking in prohibited areas, it's Atkinson other prohibited items it's just common decency. If such a thing exists anymore. Unfortunately we live in a me me me society.

Now to be fair I am yet to sail Cunard (next year) and I'm not sure how I feel about a suit EVERY night and a Dinner Suit a few nights. BUT I agreed when I booked and will comply.

Pepper, it sounds like you have another voyage planned! Good for you! I'm still waiting on health issues to remediate, while living vicariously through the voyages of others---the generous people who are kind enough to post on this Cunard CC board.
Hi jimmybean,

I sincerely hope that the health issues that are temporarily getting in the way of your cruising plans vanish very, very quickly, and that your are able to book and get back on board as soon as possible :)

I know the best photos after QM2's remodel will be posted by you and I look forward to seeing them next December!
:o Thank you very much; too generous. I certainly am looking forward to exploring QM2 again and seeing the results of all the planned changes, camera in hand to update my photos with many new versions!

I am counting down the days with growing excitement; still a bit early to start packing do you think? ;)

I am sending you all possible good wishes for a full and fast recovery :) .

Thank you jimmybean.

Edited by pepperrn

If

And it's not just dress code, it's booze smugglers, it's smoking in prohibited areas, it's Atkinson other prohibited items it's just common decency. If such a thing exists anymore. Unfortunately we live in a me me me society.

"Booze smugglers" are those the posters here who "like to have a little tipple in our stateroom when we are dressing for dinner"?

David.

"Booze smugglers" are those the posters here who "like to have a little tipple in our stateroom when we are dressing for dinner"?

David.

Like others, we use the cabin service to supply a tipple whilst dressing.

Then there are those who do not use cabin service, but still have a tipple. :rolleyes:

Both must not be included in the term "Booze Smugglers".

The there is the "no no" of entering the MDR or walking about he ship carrying a beverage glass. :eek:

Like others, we use the cabin service to supply a tipple whilst dressing.

Then there are those who do not use cabin service, but still have a tipple. :rolleyes:

Both must not be included in the term "Booze Smugglers".

The there is the "no no" of entering the MDR or walking about he ship carrying a beverage glass. :eek:

First Cunard cruise coming up, I always walk around with a coke in hand (Pepsi on Cunard) is it considered wrong to walk around with a drink in hand. Just don't want to offend anyone and to me drink in hand is the norm.

Edited by GUT2407

... The there is the "no no" of entering the MDR or walking about he ship carrying a beverage glass. :eek:
Hi PORT ROYAL,

I have seen very well-dressed ladies and gents going exactly this; taking a (presumably) half-finished glass of wine wine from the Chart Room or Sir Samuels into the Britannia Restaurant, to drink with dinner.

(I was brought up to order a small glass of something if time was going to be limited, or to leave the drink behind if unable to finish it all before moving on. But I was lucky with my parents).

Walking around a ship with a drink in my hand taking occasional sips is not something I can see myself doing (the exception being bottled water in an extremely hot environment such as during a shore excursion; that is just sensible precaution).

Some things are good manners, some are not. The current trend one sees around; always carrying/sipping from a branded paper coffee cup (saying "I'm far too busy and important to sit and drink") is a prime example of poor manners.

Best wishes :)

Edited by pepperrn

First Cunard cruise coming up, I always walk around with a coke in hand (Pepsi on Cunard����) is it considered wrong to walk around with a drink in hand. Just don't want to offend anyone and to me drink in hand is the norm.
Hi GUT2407,

I can't believe for one moment that anyone would be offended because you are carrying a drink around. That is what you want to do. On the promenade deck, around the pools, in the Kings Court, if people are offended then that is their issue.

I'm not totally convinced however that, on a formal night for example, I would walk about, into the theatre, or enter a bar dressed in my best, I'd want to be carrying a glass; preferring to order something once seated. But that is just me I expect.

Happy Sailings :)

Here's another thing that's bothered me at times. I always drink wine from the wine list but occasionally will see a diner drinking pints of Boddingtons or similar. I always get the impression that the wine waiter doesn't quite approve. What's this, U or none U?

David.

Here's another thing that's bothered me at times. I always drink wine from the wine list but occasionally will see a diner drinking pints of Boddingtons or similar. I always get the impression that the wine waiter doesn't quite approve. What's this, U or none U?David.
Ah... remember "Pale Ale with fish, Brown Ale with meat" :D :D

"Dumbing down the dress code" is not snobbery. It is an expression that does not imply anything about intelligence. Perhaps the word "downgrading" would be more appropriate. It is not snobbery to bemoan the downgrading of standards.

Certainly being well-dressed (within the definition of "formal" on any cruise line) is no guarantee of good behaviour. I have seen some drunken louts on the QE2 dressed in dinner jackets just as I have seen people casually dressed whose behaviour is less than tasteful. But this thread is about dress standards, not about behaviour or food or tipping or what the weather is like on the Atlantic, etc.

As for people using the lifts, there is no doubt there are many healthy lazy sods who won't walk up even one flight of stairs. But there are many others - and not just older people - who cannot walk up several decks due to disabilities which are not immediately apparent.

My wife has had two knee replacements and, although she can walk a fair bit on the level, she can't manage more than one flight of stairs without considerable pain. A friend we often travel with has a heart condition and stairs are difficult. Even so, they will always stand back and give priority to a person in a wheelchair. Many others feel their needs, even if not obvious, are as great as anyone's. Whether they are right or wrong is a matter of debate, but I don't think we should judge people who may have "invisible" mobility issues.

Hi jimmybean,

I am counting down the days with growing excitement; still a bit early to start packing do you think? ;)

Will you sail London to London (aka Southampton to Southampton), Pepper? Will this be your longest voyage on the QM2?

The itinerary sounds fabulous---so many, many sea-days and, then, a smattering of lovely Caribbean islands. On the Queen Mary 2 !!! What could be more perfect?

Maybe, a bit early for the suitcase :) You could, however, install a count-down clock here at cruise critic.

Jimmybean