Dress Codes Change Again

figgy1978

It's clearly there to counter the problem of people's bags not always being ready in time for dinner, particular first sitting. I don't see a problem with it on embarkation day, so long as that's the only day it applies.

I'm with many others here and always wear a jacket and tie on informal nights. Formality is Cunard. Without it they just become a mass market cruise line. Get rid of the jackets and you'll soon find singlets, shorts, and flip flops in the dining room (as I witnessed on Princess).

It's clearly there to counter the problem of people's bags not always being ready in time for dinner, particular first sitting. I don't see a problem with it on embarkation day, so long as that's the only day it applies.

I'm with many others here and always wear a jacket and tie on informal nights. Formality is Cunard. Without it they just become a mass market cruise line. Get rid of the jackets and you'll soon find singlets, shorts, and flip flops in the dining room (as I witnessed on Princess).

I've never seen that on Princess, however I do agree about keeping up standards.

I am recently off QV and also QM2. On the last formal night on QM2 I saw a man come into the Brittania Restaurant for 6pm dining in shorts and a t shirt, no one said a word! Jackets sometimes meant zip fronted fleece also.

No-Jacket requirement brought in to accomodate extremely slow separate transfer of our luggage on fly-cruises. Absolutely sure, we'd be happy to load our luggage on our coach to ensure it arrives on board more timely. Our 2 recent fly-cruises.....luggage arrived after 6pm, but we were on board by 2! It's a slippery slope - World Cruise next perhaps on change-over days?

If luggage transfer has to wait for last flight in, then clear evidence of bean counters at work! Very sad!

I don't have any information other than what has been posted on this thread, what news were you expecting from me ?

Just wondered if you had used your contacts at Cunard to discover real the basis of the "optional" code, and if it will be rolled out.

Sorry to disappoint but I don't have any contacts at Cunard. :(

Sorry, my mistake. Thought a "Cunard Host" was a "Host" with some "Connections" within Cunard.

Okay, is there any CC Member out there with inside connections?

We are on QV in the Mediterranean for 21 nights, 6 -27 Aug and the itinerary on our Cruise Personaliser is also showing jacket optional on selected nights. It was a surprise to us as we have not previously experienced it on our Cunard cruises but we assumed that Cunard must be relaxing the dress code over the summer for Med cruises.

We are on QV in the Mediterranean for 21 nights, 6 -27 Aug and the itinerary on our Cruise Personaliser is also showing jacket optional on selected nights. It was a surprise to us as we have not previously experienced it on our Cunard cruises but we assumed that Cunard must be relaxing the dress code over the summer for Med cruises.

Yes, I think that's probably the case. I have only tried a "fly cruise" once and the whole atmosphere aboard was vey different from a normal Cunard cruise. Trending towards what we used to call "package deals.

(Costa del Sol etc)

David.

Yes, I think that's probably the case. I have only tried a "fly cruise" once and the whole atmosphere aboard was vey different from a normal Cunard cruise. Trending towards what we used to call "package deals.

(Costa del Sol etc)

David.

Pleased to advise there is no "Optional" on our summer cruises to the Med with a sailing from Southampton.

It's a UK thing. Instead of driving to the port...usually Southampton, or other UK departure point, you fly to the departure port, in the Med or further afield. :)

Sorry figgy, didn't see your reply.

Edited by turnip eater

For newbies, like me, can someone define "fly-cruise"?:confused:

Thanks!:)

Traditional holidays were and still are called "package" holidays: flights and hotel sold as a whole deal, so I think that's much what Cunard are offering in the Med every summer where the ship is in the same area for some months.

I think they realise that they are selling to many who are moving from the land based version, particularly as so many of the countries people used to visit are now no go areas.

David.

We were checking our itinerary on our Cruise Personaliser and noticed that on some Informal nights, jackets are now optional. I have checked with Cunard and at first they told me that this was normal. When I pressed them the brand team have confirmed this is a new change. It is not on their website. Is this Cunard dumbing down the dress code further?

I still have this heavy full brochure from late 2004. That's how informal was listed as well. A few years later a suit/sport coat seemed to be always mandatory.

It's a UK thing. Instead of driving to the port...usually Southampton, or other UK departure point, you fly to the departure port, in the Med or further afield. :)

Traditional holidays were and still are called "package" holidays: flights and hotel sold as a whole deal, so I think that's much what Cunard are offering in the Med every summer where the ship is in the same area for some months.

I think they realise that they are selling to many who are moving from the land based version, particularly as so many of the countries people used to visit are now no go areas.

David.

Thanks for the clarification.

So, does Cunard sell a package that includes flight and cruise? And would that just be from the UK or anywhere?

Of course, we in Arizona have to fly to ANY cruise.:(:(

Cheers!

All QV cruises from 23rd June until she returns to Southampton on 15th November are fly-cruises. All around the Med. The same last year and the same next year.

Flights and transfers are included in all fares

Find out more about flights

You can book our fly-cruises in one of two ways:

Choose our package fare, which includes economy class flights and transfers to and/or from your ship.

Or:

Select our cruise only fare to make your own transfer arrangements.

AZNative2000, UK fares tend to include flights because there are only two airports involved: Heathrow and the ship's embarkation port. In the US flights have to be arranged over the telephone or through a TA as we are coming from far too many departure points and connections for them to be rolled into the fare.

AZNative2000, UK fares tend to include flights because there are only two airports involved: Heathrow and the ship's embarkation port. In the US flights have to be arranged over the telephone or through a TA as we are coming from far too many departure points and connections for them to be rolled into the fare.

Not technically true. Many more airports to depart from than Heathrow.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk