Dress Codes Change Again

figgy1978

First Cunard cruise coming up, I always walk around with a coke in hand (Pepsi on Cunard) is it considered wrong to walk around with a drink in hand. Just don't want to offend anyone and to me drink in hand is the norm.

You're fine with a drink. It's only 'beverages' that one should not clutch while wandering around.:D

And it's not just dress code, it's booze smugglers, it's smoking in prohibited areas, it's Atkinson other prohibited items it's just common decency. If such a thing exists anymore. Unfortunately we live in a me me me society.

I agree with your comments re smoking in prohibited areas, etc, but Cunard does allow for some booze to be brought on board (I hope I'm right) and DH and I see nothing wrong with having a little tipple from our own stock during the day whilst we are in the cabin.

I would point out that we still buy bottles/glasses of wine/cocktails during our voyage - especially the cocktails :D

Wow

I think we have gone off thread a bit.

I feel a bit uncomfortable with some opinions here.

I see no issue with having a drink from our own supply in our cabin before dinner? This is our first cruise and our 25th Anniversary and we intend to take a spirit onboard. We have ordered champagne for our arrival on board and wil be spending plenty of money on food and drink , it is the largest part of our to spend budget.

Also Boddingtons at the table being an issue, really!!

I do not intend to have a pint with our evening meal but have no issue with anyone who does.

It's often the way here, there really is no issue with either drinking your own tipple in the privacy of your own cabin or drinking beer with a meal in the MDR.

We travelled with friends at New Year and he isn't much of a wine drinker. After the first evening our Sommelier had his Doombar on the table whilst I was still reading the wine list !

Have a wonderful trip.

It's often the way here, there really is no issue with either drinking your own tipple in the privacy of your own cabin or drinking beer with a meal in the MDR.

We travelled with friends at New Year and he isn't much of a wine drinker. After the first evening our Sommelier had his Doombar on the table whilst I was still reading the wine list !

Have a wonderful trip.

Yes Hattie

I accept peoples opinions and forums are a vehicle for expressing them.

We are going to enjoy every second, drink, film, show, book, and dance.

Yes Hattie

I accept peoples opinions and forums are a vehicle for expressing them.

We are going to enjoy every second, drink, film, show, book, and dance.

I have no doubt that you and the misses will have a wonderful time. You have done your homework and will arrive a newbie but well seasoned Cunarder.

This will not be your last voyage on Cunard. It is very addictive.

I agree with your comments re smoking in prohibited areas, etc, but Cunard does allow for some booze to be brought on board (I hope I'm right) and DH and I see nothing wrong with having a little tipple from our own stock during the day whilst we are in the cabin.

I would point out that we still buy bottles/glasses of wine/cocktails during our voyage - especially the cocktails :D

Nothing wrong with that at all, it's those that want to smuggle on more than is allowed, more either in quantity or strength.

I have no doubt that you and the misses will have a wonderful time. You have done your homework and will arrive a newbie but well seasoned Cunarder.

This will not be your last voyage on Cunard. It is very addictive.

Thank you , we think we've done our homework and agree without having done a cruise or crossing we believe we will be smitten!

Thank you , we think we've done our homework and agree without having done a cruise or crossing we believe we will be smitten!

Probably best to start a savings account now. We went on our first Transatlantic crossing in 2012 to celebrate a special year. It was our first ever trip on Cunard, and only our third ever ship-trip. Like Pepper, this was to be a once in a lifetime trip. Happily (though perhaps sadly for the bank balance!) it didn't work out that way. We went again the next year, and I believe that following our round-trip to New York in October we will become Platinum. You have been warned....

Probably best to start a savings account now. We went on our first Transatlantic crossing in 2012 to celebrate a special year. It was our first ever trip on Cunard, and only our third ever ship-trip. Like Pepper, this was to be a once in a lifetime trip. Happily (though perhaps sadly for the bank balance!) it didn't work out that way. We went again the next year, and I believe that following our round-trip to New York in October we will become Platinum. You have been warned....

I appreciate the warning.

It seems a common affliction on this forum!

Family "anniversary" weekend September 2016

Our "current" plans are family holiday in Malaga August 2017. Our eldest was in Malaga for his languages degree for 5 months and we joined him for a week. Lovely town and not very tourist / English.

October 2018 ( Cathys 50th!) transantlantic round trip. We liked the idea of a round trip where the QM2 went up to Halifax I think , and we could get 4 days in New York but can't see that option anymore?

This is showing on our Itinerary for our embarkation day, and again on 1st October for Venice embarkation day.

Saturday

24 September View your itinerary day by day with the calendar

Dining Information

QUEENS GRILL

Dress Code: Informal (Jacket Optional)

Perhaps this is the definitive explanation of the change.

Extract from Ask Cunard: Q. What will the dress code be whilst I am on board?

"Informal (Jacket Optional):

The Informal (Jacket Optional) dress code amendment applies to Queen Victoria's summer fly Mediterranean season on embarkation days only, in Athens, Barcelona, Rome and Venice. Queen Mary 2 and Queen Elizabeth will continue to have the standard Formal and Informal (Jacket Required) dress codes.The ship's newspaper will confirm the dress code of the day.

Guests who have Athens, Barcelona, Rome and Venice as a port during their voyage and are already settled in on board are encouraged to wear a jacket."

Perhaps this is the definitive explanation of the change.

Extract from Ask Cunard: Q. What will the dress code be whilst I am on board?

"Informal (Jacket Optional):

The Informal (Jacket Optional) dress code amendment applies to Queen Victoria's summer fly Mediterranean season on embarkation days only, in Athens, Barcelona, Rome and Venice. Queen Mary 2 and Queen Elizabeth will continue to have the standard Formal and Informal (Jacket Required) dress codes.The ship's newspaper will confirm the dress code of the day.

Guests who have Athens, Barcelona, Rome and Venice as a port during their voyage and are already settled in on board are encouraged to wear a jacket."

Thank you for the explanation, Fifer.

• 1 month later...

It doesn't appear to be a major shift in dress code policy. It applies on evenings with people boarding the ship - AND with later sailaways. On Aug. 20 there is a 10 pm sail from Venice and Aug. 27 there is another late-night sail from Piraeus (Athens).

Here is a reply from Cunard previously posted here.

Last year I did seven nights on Queen Victoria starting from Rome. We did not get to the ship until about 5:00pm, we had immediate life boat drill and by 6:00pm cases had not arrived in the room, thus the appropriate jackets were not available. The maitre d'i accepted our problem and let us eat in the main dining room. I presume this is why the rules have been changed, a sensible decision in my opinion in the case of QV in the Med where guests come and go for different periods in certain ports.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I've seen several people say that Cunard enforces the evening dress code strictly. I can't agree. On the last several cruises on QM2 I've seen a handful of people, usually young and American, come into the Britannia dining room on formal nights dressed like they were returning from a hike in the mountains (shorts, hiking shoes, etc.) It was extreme enough to catch everyone's attention. The maitre D expressed disapproval but still gave them a seat. I guess we should consider ourselves lucky that they weren't wearing baseball caps at the table.

I sadly note that, in the case of many young successful people, our culture has changed for the worse. Many (especially Americans) are willing to pay the steep fares, but don't want (or know how) to dress, or even behave at the table. When these people become the older generation, I'm afraid that the wonderful traditions that we enjoy on Cunard will disappear forever. Here in the US it's very common today to see people in a good restaurant who are wearing baseball caps (father and son), and who are holding their knife and fork like a hammer and chisel. Sad, but a sign of a changing culture. There are so few places left which encourage a little refinement and civility. Sorry. I'm just a nostalgic snob.

Of course, we always mention this on the post-cruise critique, but nothing seems to really change.

I've seen several people say that Cunard enforces the evening dress code strictly. I can't agree. On the last several cruises on QM2 I've seen a handful of people, usually young and American, come into the Britannia dining room on formal nights dressed like they were returning from a hike in the mountains (shorts, hiking shoes, etc.) It was extreme enough to catch everyone's attention. The maitre D expressed disapproval but still gave them a seat. I guess we should consider ourselves lucky that they weren't wearing baseball caps at the table.

I sadly note that, in the case of many young successful people, our culture has changed for the worse. Many (especially Americans) are willing to pay the steep fares, but don't want (or know how) to dress, or even behave at the table. When these people become the older generation, I'm afraid that the wonderful traditions that we enjoy on Cunard will disappear forever. Here in the US it's very common today to see people in a good restaurant who are wearing baseball caps (father and son), and who are holding their knife and fork like a hammer and chisel. Sad, but a sign of a changing culture. There are so few places left which encourage a little refinement and civility. Sorry. I'm just a nostalgic snob.

Of course, we always mention this on the post-cruise critique, but nothing seems to really change.

As an American I'm going to have to agree with your assessment. In the US the Sedar is rapidly becomming the last vestige of the sit-down family dinner. Even Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners are replaced by the buffet in front of the TV which typically is tuned to an American NFL game. Decorum is gone as is the art of conversation because everyone is watching the game.

Then, when these delicate snowflakes enter the job world and are unable to behave at an interview lunch, they have to spend $$$ on a course to learn basic social skills.

Edited by BlueRiband

Just on the subject of table etiquette I do notice that some North Americans have a novel, to Brits anyway, system of cutting the food using knife and fork, then laying down the knife and using just the fork to spear the food to mouth.

Presumably that's the way they were taught as children, very different from my generation where elbows off the table and always clear the plate were rigorously enforced.

Times change, customs change I suppose.

David

I

As an American, trust me, I was taught to keep my elbows off the table and to finish my meals. But different utensil use has a long history in America. In the late seventeenth century, when the fork was becoming common in England and knives developed those round ends, we were sent the knives but not the forks. So we kept using our spoons. By the time the fork arrived in the eighteenth century, we just started using it like spoon. Our mothers (at least mine), did spend significant time teaching us "proper" table manners and such. They were just different! I have to admit I've since become "converted" and use my fork and knife as they were "originally" intended. At least on board Cunard.

Just on the subject of table etiquette I do notice that some North Americans have a novel, to Brits anyway, system of cutting the food using knife and fork, then laying down the knife and using just the fork to spear the food to mouth.

Presumably that's the way they were taught as children, very different from my generation where elbows off the table and always clear the plate were rigorously enforced.

David

I

The European/Continental 'original' etiquette was in fact the 'cut and switch' method, then came along using both utensils at the same time/all the time, but the 'American' cut and switch stayed. So, who is right/wrong?

Edited by DeniseAtBeach
adding more information

But only white wine goes with carpets.

MM

Ah ha! Unless the carpets are red and resemble blood splatter - or spilled red wine! Might go a long way in explaining the choice of carpets in the 'Grand Lobby'. Bring on the Merlot!

:D

David

I

Hi David. Nice to read your acknowledgement that times and customs change.

Now don't get upset, but there are people in the world who eat with various implements such as chopsticks, and some eat with the utensils God gave them - their fingers.

And perhaps even more shocking is that there are those whose plates (if they have a plate) are always clear because there is no food.

All this is must seem very odd to people such as yourself who were taught their way was far superior to any other. That's something we all need to get over.:)

Cheers,

Salacia

Passed by Britannia as the first sitting was entering through the doors. Two men were exiting the restaurant - and neither one was wearing a tie on formal night. Let's hope they are sent away to put one one. Perhaps Mr. Sportcoat Uber Blackpolo will re-think what constitutes formal wear.