Florida - Retire/Vacation Home fbo Cruising

RobinKY

I live near you and you are correct:)......We (North Florida) are like a

different state......there is North Florida, then there is Mickeyland,

The Gulf area (Tampa) and then.......Palm Beach/Broward/Dade.

I have lived in this area all of my life (well, except for 3 years back in

the very late 80s.....I lived in North Miami).

I wouldn't move back down there either but then again, I own my condo

and don't have a mortgage so I probably would not move anywhere else anyway;)

Oh...you are in Melbourne now? Thought you were still in Gainesville....but I am sure

you get my post:)

OK, for those of you who have lived in both North Fla and South Fla can you tell me (a few details) why you don't like South Florida. I am not set in stone as to where we live. I just thought living close to any cruise port would be nice and I don't want to have to get in a car to go grocery shopping. Something neighborhoody but nice ocean breeze and nice view. I'm not interested in a family neighborhood. Can someone offer some suggestions?

OK, for those of you who have lived in both North Fla and South Fla can you tell me (a few details) why you don't like South Florida. I am not set in stone as to where we live. I just thought living close to any cruise port would be nice and I don't want to have to get in a car to go grocery shopping. Something neighborhoody but nice ocean breeze and nice view. I'm not interested in a family neighborhood. Can someone offer some suggestions?

If you want to live near a port, North Florida would not be a good choice.

(in my opinion).

Jacksonville is 350 miles from Miami and we only have 1 ship that sails

from here...an old Carnival ship.

As for why I wouldn't move back there? This is my home.....I still work

for a living and have been with same company 25 years. I have been

living here since I am a little girl (I am 58 now).

I am not sure I understand your comment about not getting into a

car to go grocery shopping? The only place I know of that you don't

have to do that would probably be "The Villages".......it is a retirement

community near Orlando and everyone uses golf carts....:eek:

But everywhere I know, people have to use cars to get around, unless

you take a city bus. San Francisco I know has BART....we don't have

that.....in my opinion, everywhere in Florida a car is necessary.

Everything is spread out...especially where I live.

I am betting other people around the state may have other opinions

about their areas......but Jacksonville (where I am)......no way I could

live without a car. Work/Groceries/etc....

Edited by Lois R

Everyone is different we prefer the South over the North. We're from Canada but have had vaca homes in several places in Florida since the 80s. For us we settled on the South. We are in Lighthouse Point on the Intercoastal between Pompano Beach and Deerfiels Beach. 4 miles to the beach, if we want more action 15ish min to Fort Lauderdale Beach, 25 min to FLL airport.

Funny though although we are in South Florida and under an hour to Miami we very rarely go there other then for a cruise or people visiting. It's just to busy, hectic and pricey .

One reason we prefer the South is its convenient not only for us but for family and friends that visit. Lots to do, 3 airports close (West palm, FLL, MIA) It gives our visitors more options to see things, nightlife, etc and still areas to relax away from the hustle / bustle and tourists. Also within driving distance to pretty much every other part in Florida other then the far North. When the grandkids come 2.5 hours drive to Disney so it's not that bad.

You do have to be careful what areas you consider to relocate to in the South between crime and bad neighborhoods. One Street could be a gated community and the next street a bad area. So it does really depend on your preferences.

For us although we do visit North and West coast often its not somewhere we would consider moving to. Find some areas to much like the country, other areas nothing to do or just to much of a relaxed lifestyle.

We do like the West side in Englewood but not enough for a long term stay. Beautiful Beach's in that area, less humid, homes are like your in the suburbs but you go a few miles inland and it's like your in the country with fields of horses. Everything is somewhat spread out and depending on the area it's long drives to different places. Nice place just not our taste.

Orlando / Kissimie area would never consider living there either. Besides endless golf courses it's basically theme park after theme park with tons of tourists and over an hour drive to the beach.

Cocoa Beach is lovely, nice atmosphere etc could probably live around that area but for us airports are not as convenient. Besides our area in the South offers similar options. If we lived full time in Florida might be a different story but not right now.

Port Saint Lucie area another place not for us. Really to dead around that area in our opinion anyways.

You would really have to start taking vacations to different areas of Florida to see what you prefer. Then you can narrow your research to specific areas. Check VRBO website where you can rent condos and homes for vacation rentals.

Edited by jb456

Sea Ranch Club in Lauderdale by the Sea is oceanfront and older but the grounds are VERY nice and there is a Publix across the street. I used to live there and we often walked to get groceries.

Don't be hating, I spent a week in Archer, Fl. The temp was in the 30's every day until afternoon, when it was in the 40's.

Banking in Miami, more like money laundering.

Any one over 40 knows what I mean.

Edited by fireofficer5

Been in Cocoa Beach 3+ years. Beach condo. Most condos have a first right of refusal clause. You need to start in a lesser unit and buy your way up.

We got lucky and got a 3 bedroom corner after just one year.

Absolutely love it

690a4f96401ffdff039fd4529996aa74.jpg

e7766df02ca7689a27b221b8bb7cdb91.jpg

db9c24644beb7f84c0bcc48ecf1c545b.jpg

This is exactly the plan we have in about 10-15yrs. I would really encourage you to think of your kids education. Also going thru school with a core group of friends is really nice. Only you can decide what is best for your family.

Another option we're looking at is a place in Tenn or the Carolinas so we could drive down in a day or two.

Sea Ranch Club in Lauderdale by the Sea is oceanfront and older but the grounds are VERY nice and there is a Publix across the street. I used to live there and we often walked to get groceries.

Thank You! Yes, this is more of what I had in mind. I know there will come a time I will not want to be driving and being able to walk to a market would be ideal. We don't have children so there is no one to run errands for us.

Funny enough, I really don't like sand and being directly on a beach isn't an absolute necessity. I just like being able to look out and see the water and vast distances of space. That's why I prefer a high rise over something "on land." Plus fewer bugs up there, too.:D

You all have given me good advice and shared your opinions. I do appreciate it. I know we need to spend some time in the areas of interest and now plan to spend some of our travel time doing this. We can chose a cruise and a few days either before or after doing some exploring the areas.

Thank You! Yes, this is more of what I had in mind. I know there will come a time I will not want to be driving and being able to walk to a market would be ideal. We don't have children so there is no one to run errands for us.

Funny enough, I really don't like sand and being directly on a beach isn't an absolute necessity. I just like being able to look out and see the water and vast distances of space. That's why I prefer a high rise over something "on land." Plus fewer bugs up there, too.:D

You all have given me good advice and shared your opinions. I do appreciate it. I know we need to spend some time in the areas of interest and now plan to spend some of our travel time doing this. We can chose a cruise and a few days either before or after doing some exploring the areas.

Hope you find what you are looking for:) the area Sharon mentioned

is very close to Port Everglades.......so you will have access to

cruises 7/24;):D:)

Edited by Lois R

Another location to consider is the Galt Ocean Mile in Ft Lauderdale. You can walk to Winn Dixie, doctor's offices, and bars and restaurants easily from there, or take the local shuttle to Coral Ridge Mall and Publix. The biggest buildings there are Playa del Mar and Playa del Sol. If you google map them you will see the area. The condo grounds in that area aren't as nice as Sea Ranch Club though.

Edited by royalcruz

Another location to consider is the Galt Ocean Mile in Ft Lauderdale. You can walk to Winn Dixie, doctor's offices, and bars and restaurants easily from there, or take the local shuttle to Coral Ridge Mall and Publix. The biggest buildings there are Playa del Mar and Playa del Sol. If you google map them you will see the area. The condo grounds in that area aren't as nice as Sea Ranch Club though.
I was going to suggest Galt Ocean Mile!

Love the area and I've shown many condos there. Older but very large and perfectly maintained, all have 24 hour concierge and security. Very walkable.

Not knowing your budget, Colee Hammock, Las Olas are both very walkable but $$$$. Two bedrooms start at about $650K in Water Garden.

We moved here from South Carolina so we'd go back there before moving to North Florida. Similar weather.

My husband is a restaurateur so his position moved us to the West Coast of Florida first then over to Fort Lauderdale. LOVE Sarasota but it is very expensive.

We had a second home for years in Rio Vista/Lauderdale Harbor so we've just known this area for years.

We currently live right off Las Olas. Wouldn't live anywhere else.

Again, it all boils down to what your housing budget is.

Do they have First right of refusal clauses down in FLL condos? I never heard of it till we moved here

Not technically.

As a courtesy some of the projects I work with try and sell to each other before it goes on the open market.

Mayan Beach Club because there is nothing else like it anywhere and Cliff Lakes Villas because they are so cheap and well located are two that come to mind.

They usually pass them around the HOAs.

We moved from Stuart, Florida to The Villages, Florida because of three hurricanes that hit the area and raised homeowners insurance out of reach for us.

The Villages is a large retirement community near Leesburg. There are many activities. January and February is mostly around 60 degrees, but occasionally colder.

Homes can be purchased for $1,200 month mortgage. HOA fees are about $150 per month.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We moved from Stuart, Florida to The Villages, Florida because of three hurricanes that hit the area and raised homeowners insurance out of reach for us.

The Villages is a large retirement community near Leesburg. There are many activities. January and February is mostly around 60 degrees, but occasionally colder.

Homes can be purchased for $1,200 month mortgage. HOA fees are about $150 per month.

Hey, is there any truth to all the talk about the owners are on the hook for several major unfunded liabilities?

Hey, is there any truth to all the talk about the owners are on the hook for several major unfunded liabilities?

I just noticed you sign line! Are you on the Oasis September through mid December? How fun!

If you don't mind me asking, how does that work?

I just noticed you sign line! Are you on the Oasis September through mid December? How fun!

If you don't mind me asking, how does that work?

Laura is solo 3 of those weeks. She has the same inside cabin for those. We are together 8 of the weeks, usually a B2B. We have the same JS for all those weeks.

Our son and his family Will take care of the dog while I am on-board. I may create a live thread, depends how bored I get. :D

Laura is solo 3 of those weeks. She has the same inside cabin for those. We are together 8 of the weeks, usually a B2B. We have the same JS for all those weeks.

Our son and his family Will take care of the dog while I am on-board. I may create a live thread, depends how bored I get. :D

Please do! Are you doing any repeat cruises or are you going to different places?

Did they give you any perks or discounts for booking so many weeks? I would think they would at least name your cabin after you :D:D

Please do! Are you doing any repeat cruises or are you going to different places?

Did they give you any perks or discounts for booking so many weeks? I would think they would at least name your cabin after you :D:D

I need a catchy title or theme. Luckily I have a while to prepare.

Just a mixture of Eastern and Western. I hope the Cabin steward gets used to us.

Edited by John&LaLa

When the developer turned over phase one to the residents, the residents sued for underfunded reserves. The developer settled out of court for the full deficiency.

When phases two and three are turned over to residents, there might be additional lawsuits if the residents believe reserves are underfunded.

The developer has more than enough money to cover any deficiencies if the residents in phases two and three sue.

The big problem the developer faces is with the IRS.

The IRS has sued the developer repeatedly for the last ten years. because he issued tax free bonds for infrastructure. The IRS has lost every court case., but continues to harass the developer.

When the developer turned over phase one to the residents, the residents sued for underfunded reserves. The developer settled out of court for the full deficiency.

When phases two and three are turned over to residents, there might be additional lawsuits if the residents believe reserves are underfunded.

The developer has more than enough money to cover any deficiencies if the residents in phases two and three sue.

The big problem the developer faces is with the IRS.

The IRS has sued the developer repeatedly for the last ten years. because he issued tax free bonds for infrastructure. The IRS has lost every court case., but continues to harass the developer.

Gotcha, thanks. We had Villages on a short list until we decided on the condo.

We have been talking about retiring in Florida for about 5 years. I too have been looking at property on Trulia, Zillow, and Realtor.com for the last 3 years. Last year I met someone who relocated to North Port on my roll call for our 2016 Harmony cruise and sent her a private email. She gave me tons of info on the area & relocating and highly recommended her realtor. Last year we went to the gulf side four days prior to the cruise and met with the realtor who took me around to various areas that met our criteria. She was very organized and put together a folder of the areas she was taking me which included neighborhood names, hoa if any, websites and phone numbers. Along the way she pointed out shopping, mall, library, etc. to introduce me to the amenities of the area. We did not look at properties only neighborhoods. Then we met with the girl on the roll call for lunch. Most Realtors I spoke with were not willing to do that so you can be sure if I move within her territory I will use her for sure. I likely will move to Port Charlotte.

Most Realtors have told me two of the top reasons people are unhappy with their move was they acted too fast without doing their homework about the area, solvency of HOA, etc or found another area and said I wish we would have seen this area before purchasing. The other reason is they miss their kids/grand kids.

This year we were going to spend a couple of months renting in Florida and you should know most people want a year lease and a month or three pricing is vacation rental and expensive. I would rather put the the thousands towards a purchase. This year we will visit 5 days pre cruise because it is a lot less expensive. While cruising we find Floridians and people who have recently located to Florida who are willing to share their experience and knowledge. Most say they wish they would have made the move long ago.

Use the next 10 years to decide if you can really be away from family. Decide if you want to walk the beach/see the beach everyday and drive 20 minutes to a store or if you want to be 5 minutes from the store, drug stores, etc and drive 40 minutes to a beach. Find a location you really fall in love with. Determine your needs, wants, and budget. What you think you want now likely won't be what you need in 10 years from now. Once you move to Florida every day will be like vacation and you may or may not cruise as much as you think you will now. My friend said after they Moved to North Port they cancelled three cruises.

Edited by travelbuddies