Dress Code Clarification

jkadventures

I just returned from the Miami Nice cruise.

Standards are getting worse.

Lots of Jeans, T shirts, men with hats on, drinking beer from bottles.

Even a dog sitting on a chair eating chicken off a saucer.l

I mentioned the dog frequently. There was one man with a hat on backwards scruffy shirt and blue jeans who was fawned over by themaitre d.every night.

I totally agree with you Keefy, we had noticed a gradual decline in dress standards in the dining rooms on recent cruses

On this Miami to Nice cruise the standards had really plummeted.

I know that Azamaras code is casual but some people should not have been allowed in the room.

I was on the Miami to Nice transatlantic too. I'll admit I only ate in the MDR once, but thought the ambience around the ship as far as dress and behaviour was very good as always, except some less than respectful individuals in the shows who made noise. This however isn't the first time I noted that and maybe partly because a lot of the shows weren't well attended you could hear it more. I managed to avoid the black service dog, but understand it was a pain.

Phil

It was carried round in a shoulder bag, cant understand the service function. He would be released from the bag under the table. More like a large rodent.

Dont see the service function of a dog in a bag!

As bloodaxe says , standards are really slipping.

I was on the Miami to Nice transatlantic too. I'll admit I only ate in the MDR once, but thought the ambience around the ship as far as dress and behaviour was very good as always, except some less than respectful individuals in the shows who made noise. This however isn't the first time I noted that and maybe partly because a lot of the shows weren't well attended you could hear it more. I managed to avoid the black service dog, but understand it was a pain.

Phil

If you had spent more time in the MDR you would have seen that Keffys observations were spot on.

We took around half our evening meals in Discoveries

There were several dogs on board, he was not talking about the noisy black service dog but one of the others.

What a shame. It always seems to happen with the relaxing of dress codes, the limits are pushed. If the staff dont implement it,then the downward spiral will set in, with other standards slipping. What i fail to understand and is why the cruiselines dont see this as a problem, because whilst nice to be smart casual most regulars like to maintain certain standards and get wholly cheesed off when people are just plain scruffy and allowed to get away with it. Not good enough for any quality line.

Each cruise will have its own feel, dependent upon the mix of guests onboard, but posts above make it sound like the dress code is going downhill generally. From my observations this just isn't the case. A small minority on some cruises maybe, but overall the ambience is casual and smart. I take five or six Azamara cruises throughout the year so feel I have a good feel of how things are. I will watch to see how it develops with the new policy that allows jeans. Hopefully the standards and that ambience don't drop.

Phil

Each cruise will have its own feel, dependent upon the mix of guests onboard, but posts above make it sound like the dress code is going downhill generally. From my observations this just isn't the case. A small minority on some cruises maybe, but overall the ambience is casual and smart. I take five or six Azamara cruises throughout the year so feel I have a good feel of how things are. I will watch to see how it develops with the new policy that allows jeans. Hopefully the standards and that ambience don't drop.

Phil

I certainly hope that you are correct but the signs are not good.

We do not cruise has often has you but have been with Azamara since they started & have seen the changes

I was on the same cruise and to be honest I did not notice any significant changes in the standard of dress from my September cruise and an improvement from the standards I saw on the second leg of our Australia cruise at Christmas where, how shall I put it the southern hemisphere relaxed culture was to the fore.

I was in the MDR a few more times than Phil and also can reflect on the standards I saw every night as we had coffee in Mosaic and at the shows. That said, what others are wearing does not bother me at all and therefore does not impact on the ambience of the experience - all our Michelin star restaurants here would be empty if they even applied the Azamara codes as they are today.

I think Keefy and Phil are describing the same dog the owners of whom I believe were spoken to by a senior officer at least once if not more during the cruise re the standards of behaviour required. The ship is in a very difficult position regarding service dogs (if it is signed off as one, they have to give it free access around the ship) and all they could do was keep speaking to the owners formally.

There were also issues with one of the other dogs that was caused by guests coming up and patting it and giving it tit bits and distracting it from the role it was onboard to do.

Phil

I agree with you Phil. There are always one or two people onboard who have a strange definition of smart casual, but in the main I have found Azamara cruisers to be a pretty well turned out bunch of people. That's been my experience anyway....and I've done a few Azamara cruises now. Nowhere near as many as you have of course! :D

And I have to say that I appreciate a designer pair of jeans on a man too. After all, they can cost hundreds of pounds and in my opinion, would be far more suited to a smart casual label than the "beige M&S slacks" you see on so many middle aged British men onboard. Just my opinion of course. :)

mmmm I for one am one of those middle aged british people who wear beige trousers, amongst other colours. I do wear them with a nice shirt and consider myself reasonably smartly dressed when I go to dinner. I don't care whether denims or jeans cost 100 pounds or 10 pounds from the bargains shop, I prefer to wear proper trousers.slacks.chinos or whatever you want to call them !!!!!

mmmm I for one am one of those middle aged british people who wear beige trousers, amongst other colours. I do wear them with a nice shirt and consider myself reasonably smartly dressed when I go to dinner. I don't care whether denims or jeans cost 100 pounds or 10 pounds from the bargains shop, I prefer to wear proper trousers.slacks.chinos or whatever you want to call them !!!!!

And I'm sure you do look very nice too! But my point was that jeans today are no longer working men's wear and can also look very smart but casual too. Just my preference...I prefer my man in a smart pair of designer jeans any day. :D

Hi Everyone,

As the OP's question was "asked and answered" earlier in this thread, and, several off topic posts required deletion, this thread is now closed.

Thanks for your understanding and participation.