Onboard booking

cruiseluv

I apologize in advance as I'm sure this has been discussed at some point in time, but I can't find any recent threads that deal with it.

Could somebody tell me what are the current perks/ advantages offered when you make an onboard booking? Thanks!

There is a savings (depending on category of cabin) when you book onboard. You also have 30 (maybe 45 I can't remember) upon your return to book a cruise and get onboard savings. Depending on the cruise the savings can be pretty nice.

Forevertravel:o

There is a savings (depending on category of cabin) when you book onboard. You also have 30 (maybe 45 I can't remember) upon your return to book a cruise and get onboard savings. Depending on the cruise the savings can be pretty nice.

Forevertravel:o

I believe that this has changed (but used to be 30 days). Now you must book onboard or have your TA try to get on board savings the next time you are on a ship. They can do this if there is still availability in your category and the price has not gone up.

There was a fairly recent thread about the new benefit of booking onboard. If you book onboard there is a price guarantee so that you will get a refund if the fare goes down before final payment. If after final payment, they will give OBC's or future cruise credits -- not sure of the exact wording policy.

On some cruises (ours, last fall), they also reduce the deposit to 1/2 normal when booking on-board. Not a standard thing...announced in the daily blurb during the cruise. I wouldn't rush to book on-board too early in your cruise. But, also don't wait until the last couple of days since the consultant is usually overwhelmed.

In the past we have purchased a future cruise credit while on board, but not actually booked our cruise until much later.

Do the same perks (e.g. price guarantee ) apply?

Sharon

I asked the cruise consultant and was told the Best Price Guarantee only applies to an actual sailing date, booked and confirmed while you are onboard. The Future Cruise Certificates do not offer the guarantee. You do get the other benefits such as Onboard Savings and SSS discounts (if available).

On some cruises (ours, last fall), they also reduce the deposit to 1/2 normal when booking on-board. Not a standard thing...announced in the daily blurb during the cruise. I wouldn't rush to book on-board too early in your cruise. But, also don't wait until the last couple of days since the consultant is usually overwhelmed.

Booking onboard has reduced deposits. Deluxe and Concierge suites have a flat deposit of $500 per person. Penthouse and above is 7.5% deposit, which is half of the normal 15%. Rules for the Explorer inaugural season are different.

You have 30 days from debarkation to cancel with zero penalty, and a full refund. After that, the $100 per person administrative fee applies, unless the booking is transferred to a different sailing.

Thank you for all the responses! So, the savings of booking onboard is not a flat %? Years ago it used to be 5% I believe. Can somebody give me an idea of what that % is now? Is it a "random" % depending on cruise/ category?

I asked the cruise consultant and was told the Best Price Guarantee only applies to an actual sailing date, booked and confirmed while you are onboard. The Future Cruise Certificates do not offer the guarantee. You do get the other benefits such as Onboard Savings and SSS discounts (if available).

Thanks so much.

cruiseluv: It is not longer a simple percentage. I worked out an example below. This is for the 8/2/16 Voyager Cruise from Stockholm to Southampton - 12 nights.

Category H - $350 onboard booking credit - fare $18,599

Category G - $350 onboard booking credit - fare $19,499

Category F - $400 onboard booking credit - fare $20,199

Category E - $400 onboard booking credit - fare $20,999

Category D - $400 onboard booking credit - fare $21,899

Category C - $500 onboard booking credit - fare $25,499

Category B - $500 onboard booking credit - fare $26,299

Category A - $500 onboard booking credit - fare $27,099

Seven Seas Suite - $600 onboard booking credit - fare $31,899

Voyager Suite - $600 onboard booking credit - fare $34,499

Grand Suite - $800 onboard booking credit - fare $40,999

Master Suite - $800 onboard booking credit - fare $44,999

Not sure if this helps. They have the same onboard credit for Master/Grand Suites, for Voyager/Seven Seas Suite, Categories A-C, D-F and G-H. The amount of the credit varies from one cruise to another and might be based on fare (or maybe not).

Thanks Travelcat for that info. Is that published anywhere , or do you have knowledge of it because you're booked on that cruise?

Unfortunately, due to CC guidelines, I can't post the link. I just picked that cruise out of the blue - we aren't on it.

The last cruise we were on from Cape Town to Rio December 2015 had no Cruise Consultant on-board so we unable to take advantage of this scheme. Has anyone had a similar experience and received the on-board booking perks from Regent for a booking made post cruise?

Yes, we've booked a cruise a couple of weeks after disembarking and received all the on board booking benefits. I think we have thirty days to make the most of that particular offer.

The last cruise we were on from Cape Town to Rio December 2015 had no Cruise Consultant on-board so we unable to take advantage of this scheme. Has anyone had a similar experience and received the on-board booking perks from Regent for a booking made post cruise?

We were on that cruise. As per the letter that we received onboard, we were able to not only book a cruise with the benefits when we got home but received $200 OBC for the inconvenience. There was no "price guarantee".

Gilly, we have booked cruises within 30 days of the end of our cruise in the past but it is my understanding that this has changed. Perhaps it has not changed in the U.K.? From what I've read, you need to book your cruise onboard in order to quality for the "price guarantee" but not necessarily to receive the onboard booking discount.

On our last cruise, our TA was able to retroactively apply the onboard credit to a previously booked cruise because the price had not gone up and there was still availability in the category we booked. I don't think that this has changed - just the "price guarantee" (and perhaps the 30 days).

Edited by Travelcat2

Well, of course, I can't comment about the differences between UK/EU Ts&Cs and those in the US, but returning from our South American cruise in February without having booked anything onboard (for all those reasons previously discussed) we settled in to look more closely at the alternatives. We had time to order and receive brochures, to have "the conversation" with Regent and to receive the future cruise credit before we made a booking. As we had the conversation (directly with Regent, Southampton), we noted that the onboard booking benefits were applied (it was probably three weeks or so after disembarking, I think). I can't say about the price guarantee - it wasn't something which we thought about at the time, so yes, that might have altered. I should add though, this price guarantee wasn't advertised or mentioned in any conversation we had with Gudrun whilst we were on board, even though I'd read about it here.

We were on that cruise. As per the letter that we received onboard, we were able to not only book a cruise with the benefits when we got home but received $200 OBC for the inconvenience. There was no "price guarantee"

We were on that Capetown-Rio cruise and also received the letter. The $200 future OBC was not just for the inconvenience of not having a cruise consultant on board but also replaced the $100 instant OBC and complementary Voyage Memories DVD that one usually receives when making an on-board booking.

In the event we made our next booking during the following leg when a 'stand-by' cruise consultant from the Miami office joined the ship for the Rio-Miami Christmas cruise.

As regards a 'price guarantee' we have kept hold of a copy of Passages from May 2015 which states in bold print "When you book early onboard you are guaranteed the lowest fares"

Well, of course, I can't comment about the differences between UK/EU Ts&Cs and those in the US, but returning from our South American cruise in February without having booked anything onboard (for all those reasons previously discussed) we settled in to look more closely at the alternatives. We had time to order and receive brochures, to have "the conversation" with Regent and to receive the future cruise credit before we made a booking. As we had the conversation (directly with Regent, Southampton), we noted that the onboard booking benefits were applied (it was probably three weeks or so after disembarking, I think). I can't say about the price guarantee - it wasn't something which we thought about at the time, so yes, that might have altered. I should add though, this price guarantee wasn't advertised or mentioned in any conversation we had with Gudrun whilst we were on board, even though I'd read about it here.

Very interesting. It is sounding as if the "price guarantee" either has not been rolled out in the U.K. yet or will not be offered. I remember reading that people in the U.K. have some kind of consumer protection that the U.S. does not have. Perhaps it is related to that!? I think current and recent threads for U.K./European passengers is a good way to sort out changes in policies, etc. Maybe Host Dan would do a "sticky" on the Regent board that specifically for those type of questions. IMO it would be helpful.

I'm not actually talking about the UK here, but on board bookings whilst we were on Mariner in February. Though there was chat here about guaranteed prices, a sighting of añ information notice of some kind somewhere (?on Navigator?) concerning the same topic, I noted there was no mention of such a price guarantee by Gudrun or on any printed material available on the ship whilst we were on board. Since we didn't actually book a cruise on board, I didn't pursue it, but had we done so, it would have been top of my list of questions.

Edited by Gilly

While onboard the Mariner and doing a booking with Gudrun we discussed the onboard guarantee. It would not involve a cash refund. It would be a cabin upgrade, shipboard credit, or "possibly" a future cruise credit (my interpretation).

While onboard the Mariner and doing a booking with Gudrun we discussed the onboard guarantee. It would not involve a cash refund. It would be a cabin upgrade, shipboard credit, or "possibly" a future cruise credit (my interpretation).

Attached is a copy of the Best Price Guarantee literature. As best as I can tell, the program started in late January on all 3 ships. It is an onboard benefit, and there is no restriction for USA or UK guests. One guarantee.

On Mariner 4 weeks ago, it was discussed briefly at the Future Cruise Presentation, and included on one the slides. Two weeks ago, the cruise consultant made more mention of it, and talked about the details. I found it interesting that more discussion of the guarantee was made from one cruise to the next.

If you cannot read the attachment, here is more discussion with the details. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310399

BPG.jpg.a7ec7d7413ff06a32ec16e0cc5aa8c92.jpg

Edited by Anchorbuoy

Attached is a copy of the Best Price Guarantee literature. As best as I can tell, the program started in late January on all 3 ships. It is an onboard benefit, and there is no restriction for USA or UK guests. One guarantee.

On Mariner 4 weeks ago, it was discussed briefly at the Future Cruise Presentation, and included on one the slides. Two weeks ago, the cruise consultant made more mention of it, and talked about the details. I found it interesting that more discussion of the guarantee was made from one cruise to the next.

If you cannot read the attachment, here is more discussion with the details. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310399

Before you posted this, I contacted Regent (using the "Contact Us" button on their website). Just received a call back. Firstly, you can still book within 30 days after your cruise but the amount of the onboard booking credit will be much lower than if you had booked onboard (approximately $100/person).

As always, if the price of the cruise goes down before final payment, the fare will be adjusted. There is not a set rule if the price changes after final payment. It is pretty much like your attachment stated (upgrade or ???)

We were on that cruise. As per the letter that we received onboard, we were able to not only book a cruise with the benefits when we got home but received $200 OBC for the inconvenience. There was no "price guarantee".

Gilly, we have booked cruises within 30 days of the end of our cruise in the past but it is my understanding that this has changed. Perhaps it has not changed in the U.K.? From what I've read, you need to book your cruise onboard in order to quality for the "price guarantee" but not necessarily to receive the onboard booking discount.

On our last cruise, our TA was able to retroactively apply the onboard credit to a previously booked cruise because the price had not gone up and there was still availability in the category we booked. I don't think that this has changed - just the "price guarantee" (and perhaps the 30 days).

We never received a letter while on-board or any explanation at all. I was under the impression that the on-board booking discount also applied to the purchase on-board of the cruise voucher which we did soon after returning h0me. We were not aware of a thirty-day time limit to book a cruise and would not have bought the voucher if this had been made clear. Comments?

We never received a letter while on-board or any explanation at all. I was under the impression that the on-board booking discount also applied to the purchase on-board of the cruise voucher which we did soon after returning h0me. We were not aware of a thirty-day time limit to book a cruise and would not have bought the voucher if this had been made clear. Comments?

"Our" cruise was very unusual and I'm trying to remember whether we received the letter in our suite or when we asked about booking at Reception. I think that purchasing a voucher is a great idea - we have done it in the past (when the cost was lower than it is now).

Aren't the on board benefits the same whether you book onboard or purchase a voucher (meaning prior to the "new" price guarantee that went into effect this year)? Since my memory is a bit "off" today, perhaps you can remind me of the benefits of the voucher. I thought it enabled you to make a smaller deposit and get on-board booking credit when you do book a cruise.