Ovation of the Seas - Inaugural B2B cruise review (with lot's of photo's!!)

The WOW bands were on sale from Guest Services (so not Free, unfortunately). We didn't bother buying any. Our thinking was, we didn't have them on our previous three cruises and we got by just fine.

It would have been cool to have, if they were free. But we didn't think they were worth paying for.......Just our point of view, of course. Others may disagree.

Thanks

Glad you enjoyed the review........We didn't bother buying the wristbands (they weren't Free, unfortunately). Yes, Claire V was amazing - outstanding voice!

The Grande certainly were not giving glasses of Champagne (at least the night we went) - I don't think our waiter would have allowed time for that! However, we did arrive with two glasses of wine we'd poured ourselves in our stateroom....so maybe that had something to do with it.

We didn't get around to doing to iFly, I'm afraid.

The wristbands were really nice on the Quantum. Too bad they found another way to make money. On the Quantum they were free. Do you know how much they were?

Thank you

Great review! We're embarking the Ovation for our first ever cruise tomorrow. I have a question about dynamic dining, was it easy to get a table for two in the specialty restaurants or are you made to table share?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You're welcome!

From memory, there was a Freestyle machine in Sorrento's, by the Doghouse (Seaplex), Windjammer.....and various other places I can't remember!

We didn't have a drinks package, so they weren't on our radar...

Once again thank you Dave. Guess the fun part is exploring the ship and looking for it, :) we have many sailing days :)

Great review! We're embarking the Ovation for our first ever cruise tomorrow. I have a question about dynamic dining, was it easy to get a table for two in the specialty restaurants or are you made to table share?

Great review! Back on her again tomorrow! Can't wait.

Edited by little britain

No, you do not share in specialty restaurants. DD is the 4 (or5) dining rooms. They will ask you if you want to share. Just say no.

I travelled as a solo on her 2 weeks ago. There was a bit of a line so the MD counted up the couples (and me) and led us in. I thought he would seat us at a big table for 12; but no. He sat me with one other couple[emoji15]. If they wanted dinner alone it would have been embarrassing, but they said they didn't mind and we had a great meal!

Edited by little britain

The wristbands were really nice on the Quantum. Too bad they found another way to make money. On the Quantum they were free. Do you know how much they were?

Thank you

Me too, in Anthem last year it was free and awesome, you don't need to take the card with you anywhere in the ship only in the ports.

its very helpful if you have drink package ..

As I read before it will be 5$ each ..

Edited by Impactimpact

No, you do not share in specialty restaurants. DD is the 4 (or5) dining rooms. They will ask you if you want to share. Just say no.

I travelled as a solo on her 2 weeks ago. There was a bit of a line so the MD counted up the couples (and me) and led us in. I thought he would seat us at a big table for 12; but no. He sat me with one other couple[emoji15]. If they wanted dinner alone it would have been embarrassing, but they said they didn't mind and we had a great meal!

That's good to know - thank you ! [emoji2]

Great review Dave,

Was really nice seeing Pompey and the Spinnaker, have not been back in 7 years, but look forward to making it back next year for an Indy sailing.

Great memories of the South Coast, thanks:)

Appreciated for all the photos

Happy Days!

Glad you enjoyed the photo's......It was really quite magical seeing the Spinnaker tower from our balcony during our (2nd) sail away from Southampton. :)

Me too, in Anthem last year it was free and awesome, you don't need to take the card with you anywhere in the ship only in the ports.

its very helpful if you have drink package ..

As I read before it will be 5$ each ..

Hi, I have a drink package and would appreciate if you could explain how helpful the wow band will be comparing to using the room card? We also have a child with us and do they have wow bands for young kids? TIA. :)

Hi, I have a drink package and would appreciate if you could explain how helpful the wow band will be comparing to using the room card? We also have a child with us and do they have wow bands for young kids? TIA. :)

Hi

If you have the band you don't need the Card as you forget it in the room!

the band will be with you 24/24 on your wrist.

like you are in the swimming pool and you want to purchase a drink, in any bar, in any shops, open the cabin door.

And you can purchase a band of all your member even they are child's but I don't recommend it if they are below 6 years. maybe they'll take it out in any time and lose it.

Ok....I'll continue with my thoughts/summery.

Restaurants (Self Service)

Ok, so we're really talking about the Windjammer and Solarium Bistro here aren't we. There isn't too much to say about the Windjammer really because it is what it is. The food stations were quite well laid out (although not as well laid out as Freedom class ships, in my opinion. It felt like there was more space between food stations on Indy/Liberty resulting in a better flow of people). They had two food stations where they had someone cooking pasta dishes to order, which I thought was cool - although you had to time it right otherwise there could be a small queue. As usual, the Windjammer was busy at peak times, but we always found seats towards the back and it was quieter/less hectic there. We were really impressed with the hand washing facilities as you walked into the Windjammer and I was encouraged to see washing hands enforced - no one seemed to object either, which was good!

We discovered the Solarium Bistro for breakfast a few days into our cruise and we enjoyed eating there. It felt like a smaller, more intimate version of the Windjammer....a much more relaxed buffet option. We never had lunch or dinner there though, just breakfast.

Restaurants (Dynamic Dinning)

Having never sailed in a Quantum class ship before, this was our first experience of Dynamic Dinning. In reflection, we found it a little bit 'hit or miss', to be honest. On the very positive side, we ate some great food in Silk, Chic and American Icon (they served some really fabulous dishes). However, we found that the service in all four restaurants to be a little bit mechanical - almost as if they were encouraged to be so "efficient" in their service that they no longer had time, or incentive, to give the personal touch we'd always experienced in the main dinning rooms of previous cruises. Over all, we preferred the main dinning room experience over dynamic dinning (more of a personal service and a different menu each night) - but this wouldn't put us off sailing on a Quantum class ship again in the future.

Restaurants (Speciality Dinning)

We ate in Jamie's Italian and Chop's Grille whilst on board and thoroughly loved both experiences. We knew what to expect in Chop's as we have eaten there on all the cruises we've been on thus far. However, Jamie's was something new for us. We thoroughly enjoyed our evening there.....nice and relaxed service and amazing food. We'd forgotten how you're encouraged to try lots of things when eating in speciality restaurants. Chop's Grille was fantastic as usual. I know there has been a lot of talk about the new menu's they brought in a year or so ago....but we still found the food to be top notch and the Steak was perfect. We had excellent service in there too - although another couple got annoyed that no one took their order quick enough (the gentleman kicked up such a big, loud, over-the-top fuss...it resulted in a awkward moment for a while). Still, this didn't spoil our evening.

Entertainment

This is an area where Ovation really excelled, in pretty much all areas. All the shows in the main theatre we saw were excellent, so too was 'Spectra's Cabaret' in 270. The dancers and singers were the best we've seen at sea and the use of technology (particularly in 270) was used to great effect (jaw-dropping at times). Joff Eaton was the best Cruise Director we've had and was hilarious when hosting the 'Music Quiz' and 'Love & Marriage' shows etc. When we went to Norway on Indy, we'd just missed him as he was on holiday so we were pleased we were finally cruising with Joff as our CD.

Final Verdict

We loved our 8 nights onboard 'Ovation of the Seas' and I'm really glad we took up the opportunity to sail on her Inaugural sailing (and then adding on the 3 night pre-Inaugural). She is an amazing ship in many ways - the North Star is worth sailing on this class of ship at least once, for starters!!

We would gladly sail on a Quantum class ship again if the itinerary appeals to us, but wouldn't rush to just for the ship itself. This was the first time we'd booked a cruise mainly to try out a ship, rather than the ports of call. We always knew the Quantum class ships would be different from the rest of the fleet, so we wanted to experience that first hand. Personally, I prefer the feel, decor and layout of the other ships in RCI fleet (based on what we've sailed so far). I've always liked that polished wood look of the other ships (almost giving the feel of old luxury yachts, but with a modern twist and on a much larger scale). Ovation's decor was much more understated and contemporary (perhaps more like Celebrity Solstice class).

Even though we knew we were on a Royal Caribbean ship, Ovation didn't feel like we were on a Royal Caribbean ship (does that make sense?)

Ultimately, in future we'll carry on booking cruises for the itinerary first and foremost. As long as we have a nice "floating hotel" to come back to (with happy, attentive staff, decent enough entertainment, great food and nice pools and a solarium), we're happy. :)

Finally, in case you missed it earlier in my review, here's some footage Jen shot on her GoPro. It covers most of Ovation's public areas. She filmed it during that magical time between the two B2B cruises - when every one from the previous 3-night sailing had left the ship and they hadn't started the embarkation of the new guests yet! Enjoy -

She is also busy editing another video (of our Ovation cruise in general including ports of call etc). When she has finished it and uploaded it, perhaps I'll post the link on these forums too!

Anyway, thanks again everyone for following along....Happy cruising!! :D

Edited by drummerdavebmth

... Even though we knew we were on a Royal Caribbean ship, Ovation didn't feel like we were on a Royal Caribbean ship (does that make sense?)...

Yes, this makes perfect sense to me.

Thanks again for a very enjoyable review.:)

Jimmy Rhodes will be the Cruise Director from 13 July...

Fabulous news!! We enjoyed him on last year's transatlantic on the Allure and previously on the Mariner going to Shanghai. A top class entertainer.

Thank you!

Yes, Ovation is an incredible ship in many ways. Although I've never sailed with Celebrity, from the photo's I've seen of their Solstice class ships, the decor does look very similar - more understated contemporary design, furnishings etc

I think you've made the right decision for your voyage from Sydney to Singapore - Ovation was nice enough, but not worth nearly double the price - in my opinion.

With regards to future cruises for us? It's doubtful we will go on one soon as we are planning on starting a family and (if things go according to plan) our money will probably be channelled else where.

Having said that, we've been pipe dreaming about 'Jewel of the Seas' doing the Greek Isles or Western Med, Navigator or Indy to The Canaries.

We may even give MSC a try one day (if all goes according to plan) as children go free up the age of 18 years old!

Who knows?

Thanks Dave

Good luck with starting a family. We have a 6 year old daughter and I can definitely recommend cruising with kids. We much prefer cruising with our daughter than cruising before we had her. Much more fun these days and I have an excuse to act like a big kid too.

It's amazing how your focus changes and the first thing you check out when you get onboard is Adventure Ocean.

All the best and thanks again for a brilliant review of what looks like a great ship. Hopefully we will get to experience the ship first hand sometime soon.

Thanks Dave

Good luck with starting a family. We have a 6 year old daughter and I can definitely recommend cruising with kids. We much prefer cruising with our daughter than cruising before we had her. Much more fun these days and I have an excuse to act like a big kid too.

It's amazing how your focus changes and the first thing you check out when you get onboard is Adventure Ocean.

All the best and thanks again for a brilliant review of what looks like a great ship. Hopefully we will get to experience the ship first hand sometime soon.

Thank you very much!! Jen and I would love to cruise again in the future with a little one in tow......here's hoping :)

• 2 months later...

What a rip-off!!!?:"- Just paid balance for inaugural Ovation of the seas Singapore to Sydney cruise departing November 3th 2016. We booked many Months ago only to find now that the Charter company CRUISECO is offering the same cabins for about $3000 less!!! That's right three thousand!!! Unfortunately this charter cruise is not covered by any "Price match" by Royal Caribbean. We usually go with Celebrity Cruises which have a price match and certainly don't heavily discount cabin fares for late comers. They make offer inducements like on board credit etc.. To cancel at this late stage with lose 45% of the cruise fare, not the deposit..another rip-off. Anyone else out there in the same boat? Sorry for the pun#$$!! We will never book anything with CRUISECO AGAIN!!!