Don't be late! Don't miss the ship!

LMaxwell

I'm Interested to know if other family was on the ship for the kids....but we don't know the age of the kids do we?

Assuming the kids are little but had other adults onboard with them...

then the dh did the right thing to stay with his wife by getting OFF the ship. Let's hope he had a bug out bag with docs and cash and pp with him

If there were no other adults onboard for the kids.....then the dh should have stayed one foot on the gangway and handed over the bug out bag to an official that could be trusted to get it to the port agent and to his dw.

Fwiw....if those kids are little and left alone ....then ncl had a responsibility to advise the dh to gather up a bug out bag for the port agent....

AND ncl had a responsibility to NOT allow the dh to also miss the ship

How would they do this is anyone's guess

However my guess is that both ncl and dh had 50 minutes to figure this out

A crew member may have been assigned to the kids....but again we don't know their ages

Arrangements may have been made....wouldn't you do that in this scenario?

My thinking is the kids are not babies and ok

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Crusin6

Breakaway. Nassau

Sent from my B1-730HD using Tapatalk

This did not just happen as the BA just left NYC yesterday

Was this last week?

Does anyone know for sure?

Edited by Crusin6

this was last weeks cruise that just returned to NYC yesterday morning. We were on this cruise and every where we went everyone was talking about it but we never did hear how old the kids were. Hopefully they were old enough to be able to take care of themselves.

We didn't get off the ship in Nassau but I think all on board time was 5:30 and leave time was 6:00 but I'm not positive.

This did not just happen as the BA just left NYC yesterday

Was this last week?

Does anyone know for sure?

This happened last Thursday, April 21st.

The kids looked to be 10 and younger.

I wonder if the dad purposely put the kids on the ship thinking that would guarantee they wouldn't leave him? What a mess. Ages 10 or under... Seems that would be a huge hassle for the crew, since they can't be left alone. Maybe there are other friends or relatives that were on board. Otherwise, I can't imagine how scary that would be for those kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I wonder if the dad purposely put the kids on the ship thinking that would guarantee they wouldn't leave him? What a mess. Ages 10 or under... Seems that would be a huge hassle for the crew, since they can't be left alone. Maybe there are other friends or relatives that were on board. Otherwise, I can't imagine how scary that would be for those kids.

My thoughts, too. If there's no family on the ship, the father had no business getting off. Gosh, my daughter would have freaked at that age if the ship sailed without me even if her dad had been there. She would have dissolved if we'd both missed the ship! My son OTHT would have been dancing through the halls. LOL.

We watched the entire event. The ship was due to leave at 5:30 but waited until 6:20.The ship waited an additional 50 minutes....but for whatever reason, she was late. It was her fault.

The captain had to make the call.

She was almost an HOUR late! There is no excusing that, I could understand it would be upsetting if 10 mins late and the ship was pulling away, but an hour? Good heavens I'm surprised the captain didn't sail away earlier.

As for the children and how the ship handles this situation, given that NCL has children's clubs that do supervise the children while parents are off at port, this must happen occasionally...

To be clear, I'm NOT suggesting the parents haven't screwed up big time in such cases.

(I cannot even imagine not being back plenty early, unless there was some horrible unavoidable event, not just some traffic delay or such).

But given how NCL handles the port day children's club care, this is very unlikely not to have some contingency planning by the crew.

Still... dreadful for the children!!

(The parents? They brought it on themselves. TOTALLY irresponsible)

Can't imagine there's any way possible the husband would get off the boat and let it leave without him unless children were taken care of by friends/family. If he was indeed on the dock the entire time then I surely hope there was a plan in place. This is my story and I'm sticking to it - at least for now.

I saw a family miss the Disney Wonder. They were standing in line to get through the port security. I heard the port people frequently ask if anyone is on the Wonder. After a while some guy pipes up. The port people said they had been announcing for a while. .

I am hard of hearing and often struggle with hearing and/or understanding announcements while in a crowd. Not saying that is what happened here but it is a possibility.

So the ship waited almost an hour????? And she still didn't get there on time? No sympathy AT ALL for her. Probably drunk. I hope it cost her thousands to get back, and I hope the cruise line banned her.

Edited by bbryan5

I expect there was other family aboard to watch the kids. Otherwise, I would consider it abandonment for the husband to leave the kids aboard knowing the ship may leave without him or the wife on it.

50 minutes seems long enough to get in touch with the family members and get needed documents from the cabin. He didn't look terribly concerned or like he was worried the ship was leaving....which is why I suspect he already worked out a plan.

I do not feel sorry for the mother but I do for her children. She's an adult and should have known that the ship will not wait for you. I am a cruising "virgin" and even I knew enough that these ships have a schedule and thus will not wait for anyone. When I finally board my first cruise we will for sure be back onboard at least 1 hour before sailing - I don't want to be on the next you tube video. :)

I've left my kids in kids' club on several occasions. Not selfish at all (what would be selfish is dragging a cranky toddler on an excursion where she'd be miserable and disruptive to everyone else). That said, on those days I made sure to plan a ship-sponsored excursion. I would never take the chance that the ship would leave me with my kids on it. Many people plan their own excursions and get a false sense of security that nothing will go wrong and effect their ability to get back to the ship. Most of the time, things go well but I wouldn't want that one time when there's a snag to be when my kids are onboard and I'm not.

I'm sure that NCL has a policy in place for this - especially considering they allow parents to drop their kids into kids' club and leave the ship. Likely someone from kids' crew comes and stays in the cabin. The kids were probably fine and while it's upsetting, it's not like they were being kidnapped.

I'm shocked that while the dad was on the dock trying to contact his wife, he didn't stay close enough to the ship to know that it was pulling up the gang plank and leaving. I would think most parents would choose to be with the kids and let the other parent fend for themselves. It's Nassau, not the Middle East. This leads me to believe they probably had other family onboard.

It is selfish of the parents to go off on an excursion without their kids on a family vacation. If u are concerned about toddlers being cranky how about not going on the excursion. I can't believe people go on family vacations and leave their kids in the care of someone else. Including your children on your family vacation makes this never happen.

IN ADDITION: Your daily paper will have the NAME and CONTACT INFORMATION of the PORT AGENT. If you are trying to get back to the ship and are running late, CALL THE PORT AGENT. If they know you are on your way you at least have a chance of them waiting. If you are late and no one knows where you are or what you are doing ALL BETS ARE OFF.

I must admit I have never noticed the port agent information in the dailies. I will be sure to take a photo of this information before we leave the ship at each port now. Not that I think we would ever need it, we are always back in plenty of time, but doesn't hurt to be prepared.

It is selfish of the parents to go off on an excursion without their kids on a family vacation. If u are concerned about toddlers being cranky how about not going on the excursion. I can't believe people go on family vacations and leave their kids in the care of someone else. Including your children on your family vacation makes this never happen.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to disagree. You must not have kids, or you'd know that a toddler's mood can change on a dime. Nothing "unbelievable" about leaving a toddler to play in kids club with other kids instead of tagging along with adults doing an activity they'd rather not do. We've always planned our excursions to include a mixture of beach days that we all enjoy and more adult activities.

My kids are in their teens & early 20's now and they still talk about the fun they had in the kids' club. Strangely enough they really don't remember any of the excursions.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to disagree. You must not have kids, or you'd know that a toddler's mood can change on a dime. Nothing "unbelievable" about leaving a toddler to play in kids club with other kids instead of tagging along with adults doing an activity they'd rather not do. We've always planned our excursions to include a mixture of beach days that we all enjoy and more adult activities.

My kids are in their teens & early 20's now and they still talk about the fun they had in the kids' club. Strangely enough they really don't remember any of the excursions.

Hah I agree with you must not have kids or don't know about toddlers. My kids LOVED the Splash Academy and begged to be there nonstop. They would have complained nonstop on a beach about the sand and heat and waves on a day we didn't pick a place with a pool that was suitable for small children. And just because you have kids doesn't mean you can't have adult time anymore. It brings sanity back to you to make you a better parent. I returned from my hours away from my kids in Cozumel refreshed and excited to see my kids. I ran to the Splash academy and grabbed my kids and took them off the ship for an hour to go pick out a present for themselves at the port stores there. It was a win win for both.