Princess Visa - using points

TW6cruiser

I am considering applying for this credit card. On the Princess and Barclays site there is some information on redeeming large volume of points. Does anyone have information on the basics for getting OBC or for smaller types of rewards? I searched other threads and they say that you can't really see the full level of rewards until you have already obtained a card.

I am considering applying for this credit card. On the Princess and Barclays site there is some information on redeeming large volume of points. Does anyone have information on the basics for getting OBC or for smaller types of rewards? I searched other threads and they say that you can't really see the full level of rewards until you have already obtained a card.

Don't have a Princess card but did have a Holland America Barclay card and used it for quite some time but have since cancelled it due to a better point deal on our present Visa card. But when we had it we redeemed smaller amts of pts for Speciality Dining, Wine, and Beverage Cards. Usually around 5000 pts. We did redeem once for a sizable amt of SBC. There was a large selection of choices ranging from 1000 to 10,000 pts.

Sounds like Barclay handles Cruiseline CC's.

Sorry I couldn't help more.

I have just applied for 500.00 OBC from my Princess Visa. This is showing on the very bottom of the gifts pull down on my booking. It says gifted OBC from Princess value 500.00. I made a copy (copy everything) to bring to be sure this shows by day 2 on our account. I found the web page easy to navigate and I am not good with computers. Being the trusting soul I am I also call a few days later and spoke with a real person not an auto push this and that so I'm happy with my Princess card.

We also have a Princess card. Got it when they were offering 15,000 points for sign up. We don't use credit cards for day to day purchases like groceries etc but it pays off big time when you book a Princess cruise. Our next cruise is almost here. With airfare through Princess the total was over $7,000. This translates to 14,000+ points. You can use your points to pay down your credit card bill not just for OBC (we have plenty of that). As we had some 30,000+ points we used some to pay $200 against the bill. We still have almost 20,000 points left to use. All in all it has been a good value for us.

<<<Karen>>>

I use our Princess Visa to book (Princess) cruises and the double points really add up fast. I also book our shore excursions and prepay our gratuities with it. I have enough points to redeem for 300 OBC for our upcoming cruise. It's easy to do, there is a link on the Barclaycard website. And with the card you can see your points total when you log in. I highly recommend this card if you are a Princess cruiser.

We use our Princess Visa for our Princess cruises. Redeeming the points is pretty easy, from the Barclay Card site. We have only used those points for OBC, as in looking at the reward to point value, that seems the best bang for the point. We don't use the Princess card for anything but Princess purchases, as we get better rewards on other things with other cards.

You can also use the points to make a payment on the card, but since we really got it to amass points for OBC, that is how we have consistently used it. It adds up pretty quickly if you are cruising a lot.

Don't forget to take advantage of the shareholder OBC, by owning just 100 shares of Carnival Corp. stock, and if you are a veteran or active military, of the military OBC.

Edited by ggprincess2004

Have had the card since it first came out in about 2007 or so. Have used it many times ...we use it daily and the points add up fast. We pay it off monthly..so no interest.

We have used the OBC on long cruises, paid for airline tickets, but use the cash to pay against our bill very frequently. Can be cashed in online, easy and fast.

I know there are probably better cards, many have posted, but we cruise Princess frequently, so the double points do add up fast....I love it.:p:p

We use the Princess Visa for all of our Princess purchases only. There are better cash-back cards out there that have bonus offers each quarter (like grocery or gas purchases), but for our cruise purchases, we like the Princess Visa. It helps than we cruise frequently enough that we get into the bonus reward levels (which I think begin at 50-60000 points) fairly frequently. We use the points to get cash towards our credit card balance, and are getting $600-$750 in rewards every year.

Hi,

I have been using a Princess Visa card for several years and have been very pleased with it. As noted above, the double points for purchases through Princess add up very quickly. I have redeemed two substantial cruise discounts and will be redeeming a third cruise discount later this year. The Princess Visa card periodically offers special quarterly promotions. This quarter, they are offering double points for purchases at restaurants, gas stations and home improvement stores.

Chuck

Thanks for the continued input. Yes, I know there are better cards out there. We use a card with airline points for almost all our purchases and use miles on our preferred airline. That card however is a Mastercard. We do have an AMEX card with hotel points as well...but I am shopping for a Visa as COSTCO will no longer accept AMEX after June. I of course can pay cash or via debit but I hate to spend money and not get any points at all. Since the Princess Visa would not be a main card and just for COSTCO I wanted to see how easy it was to use smaller point rewards.

• 10 months later...
We also have a Princess card. Got it when they were offering 15,000 points for sign up. We don't use credit cards for day to day purchases like groceries etc but it pays off big time when you book a Princess cruise. Our next cruise is almost here. With airfare through Princess the total was over $7,000. This translates to 14,000+ points. You can use your points to pay down your credit card bill not just for OBC (we have plenty of that). As we had some 30,000+ points we used some to pay $200 against the bill. We still have almost 20,000 points left to use. All in all it has been a good value for us.

<<<Karen>>>

Anyone believing this needs to check with Barclaycard. They changed the rules int he Fall of '16 and you can no longer apply your points against the bill. Trying to sort this out is a nightmare - Barclaycard tells you to contact Princess, and yes, Princess tells you the card people are responsible for allowing you to redeem your points towards a future cruise. This may be when I tear up the card and think twice about using Princess for associating with such a lousy card company.

Anyone believing this needs to check with Barclaycard. They changed the rules int he Fall of '16 and you can no longer apply your points against the bill. Trying to sort this out is a nightmare - Barclaycard tells you to contact Princess, and yes, Princess tells you the card people are responsible for allowing you to redeem your points towards a future cruise. This may be when I tear up the card and think twice about using Princess for associating with such a lousy card company.

The rules may have changed, but it is easier than ever to use your points against your credit card bill...all done online and I have done it three times this month...so not sure where you info is coming from? The website is fast and easy, even from my iPad.

I prefer charge card credit Instead of OBC, then get more double miles for anything spent on the ship...:D

The rules may have changed, but it is easier than ever to use your points against your credit card bill...all done online and I have done it three times this month...so not sure where you info is coming from? The website is fast and easy, even from my iPad.

I prefer charge card credit Instead of OBC, then get more double miles for anything spent on the ship...:D

well you have better luck than us..........took until last week to get our princess purchases in the "bank" to use for credit toward a bill.

the site will only let me use smaller purchases to use toward bill credit..........like the $400 used to buy FCD. All paid cruise amounts tell me I do not have enough points to redeem.

Maybe this card will be history for us.

I have made over 6 calls to Princess with no help except to use the smaller amount.

I had the same problem and made many calls. They finally straightened it out. Gave me a 5 k bonus for problems and the 2% I had earned for about a $1300 credit on bill. Worth the wait.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app