Getting left in port

geckoaz

You really think he used poor judgement???

The only poor judgment I think he used was going to find her and missing the,ship.. He should have just left her travel documents with the port authority. I bet she is probably late for everything and her family and friends accept and,excuse her behavior.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

The only poor judgment I think he used was going to find her and missing the,ship.. He should have just left her travel documents with the port authority. I bet she is probably late for everything and her family and friends accept and,excuse her behavior.

I'm sorry, with my brother or bil on board, I'm going looking for my wife - hoping we can make it back, but if we didn't - I'm sure the biggest concern on their side would be who gets to move from the inside to the balcony room.

And then DW I would have a day or so day to kill in Nassau, with me having come to her rescue and her feeling uncharacteristically repentant...

Edited by nealstuber

I'm sorry, with my brother or bil on board, I'm going looking for my wife - hoping we can make it back, but if we didn't I'm sure their biggest concern on their side would be who gets to move from the inside to the balcony room.

And then DW I would have a or so day to kill in Nassau, with me having come to her rescue and her feeling uncharacteristically repentant...

Gotcha. ..lol

Additionally, the Captain waited an extra 30 minutes before departing the port.

So the wife was 1 hour late in returning to the ship and likely only showed up because he husband got off the ship and enlisted a golf cart to go find her.

Inexcusable on the part of the wife and poor judgement on part of husband.

Poor judgement on the part of the husband???? He left his kids with family members and went to look for his wife. How is that poor judgement? If you are married, my condolences to your spouse. You apparently have no issue leaving them in a foreign country

Edited by First and Ten

I think this is my favorite topic. I'm on the road 250 a year. When we cruise as a family, We always had one port day as a couple.

Kids are old enough now that baby sitters would not be required and we'd have someone to pack up our cabin.

The attention that this subject gets would make one think there are legions of cruise orphans consigned to sail the high seas for eternity because there parents got drunk at carols and Charlie's and never came back for them.

Exactly!!

If it happened that often I'm sure ships wouldn't offer the service.

It couldn't have been a 'ship time' issue. If anything, Nassau would be ahead an hour so 5 pm Nassau time would be 4:00 ship time. She would be early getting back if it were a local vs ship time issue.

Well, looking at the video, it obvious that she didn't mean for it to happen. More often than not, there been one time on the printed daily, another as you walk down the gang way, and another at the end of the pier. I phone times, local times, she could have just walked up the wrong pier or been at the wrong dock... Not saying it's anyone's fault but her's as everyone else figured it out, but not so sure it makes her a bad mom.

I missed a flight once because the boarding time was where the departure time was the week before on my boarding pass. I'm sure all of us would like to say we've never been late to anything, but I doubt any of us could say it truthfully.

Every once in a while, when I'm acting like the master of all things travel, DW will bring up that flight I missed, especially when I'm feeling like getting back to the port at the last minute.

Hope everyone had the where-with all to make the best of it in this situation and it didn't cost them too much. Sure it will be a great, funny, story years from now. Like that time we flipped a catamaran in the middle of Matzalan bay, an hour before sailing, on our first cruise 24 years ago).

Edited by nealstuber

I wish more ships would leave people. I get tired of watching peaople taking their time coming back to the ship when they are already 30 min late to get onboard, if the ship left people and left ON TIME, you would see this happen less, but now everyone knows that ship will wait an extra 30 min or so.

Well, looking at the video, it obvious that she didn't mean for it to happen.

But it wasn't important enough to her to be reunited with her husband and family that she gave the re-boarding time issue due diligence. That is, it wasn't important enough until she was left behind.

But it wasn't important enough to her to be reunited with her husband and family that she gave the re-boarding time issue due diligence. That is, it wasn't important enough until she was left behind.

Exactly. This is why I think "being late" is her normal behavior. Her family and friends accept it and she doesn't have to pay the consequences for her selfish behavior. ...until now.

Extremely poor behavior by wife. To take shopping over your family is just plain stupid. Maybe Child Welfare should have been waiting for the parents in New York

Why? We don't know why the kids remained on board with other family members. Maybe they just had no interest getting off and enjoying a near empty ship. Should the wife stay on board just because others didn't choose to get off? Everyone knew she got off and why.

I'm not really sure why it was a good idea to go searching when you only had a short time to find her, and make it back. It's not like she was a lost kid. If I had two kids on the ship, and a missing wife, who is an adult, and capable of handling herself, I would stay with the kids. They would be my number one priority while, my wife is shopping for junk in the Bahamas.

I'm not really sure why it was a good idea to go searching when you only had a short time to find her, and make it back. It's not like she was a lost kid. If I had two kids on the ship, and a missing wife, who is an adult, and capable of handling herself, I would stay with the kids. They would be my number one priority while, my wife is shopping for junk in the Bahamas.

If the kids, who were not young, were to be left alone then I agree. In this case, other family members were on board.

Is your wife so self sufficient that you'd sail off without her?

Thank You ! This is exactly why I believe the husband made a poor choice to leave the ship when sail-a-way was imminent.

Why? We don't know why the kids remained on board with other family members. Maybe they just had no interest getting off and enjoying a near empty ship. Should the wife stay on board just because others didn't choose to get off? Everyone knew she got off and why.

There is no info supplied (as far as I have seen although this has now made national news) on whether the entire family initially got off or not. As I understand it, the husband and 2 children were (back) on board at published sail-a-way time, wife was still shopping. Husband made the choice to get back off the ship even though sail-a-way was imminent.

Edited by lizardhowson

Havingfun10- I agree totally with you, don't care if they are 18 I still stay on the ship, that is what a parent does puts the children first.

I feel those parents aren't responsible, they should of made sure they arrive back on the ship way before the ship leaves port, also, its just brains to know one can get stuck in traffic, accidents or delays for many reasons, a reason why my rule always was back on the ship 1 1/2 hours before it leaves.

My question is why didn't she go to the port master, they can get her to the ship by boat, I seen it happen a few times?

If my wife was late, I'd be worried that there might be good reason for it (and their may have been - we don't know). Some things I'd be worried about; Did her ID get stolen or lost - maybe Hubby was carrying it on shore did not realize he had it when they decided to re-embark separately? Some sort of medical emergency? An incident on the pier where they won't let her leave?

Anyhow, all we know is that, at the time the husband had to make a decision - his wife was missing.

It couldn't have been a 'ship time' issue. If anything, Nassau would be ahead an hour so 5 pm Nassau time would be 4:00 ship time. She would be early getting back if it were a local vs ship time issue.

Nassau is eastern time, same as NY

Additionally, the Captain waited an extra 30 minutes before departing the port.

So the wife was 1 hour late in returning to the ship and likely only showed up because he husband got off the ship and enlisted a golf cart to go find her.

Inexcusable on the part of the wife and poor judgement on part of husband.

i'm wondering about the hubby though. my hubby would have done the same thing given the age of the kids and a relative on board to care for them. his wife could have been hurt or jailed or anything. he at least got the documents so that they could fly and have identification and money, so it was easier for them to handle their land business than it probably would have been. i know he was mad but imagine not knowing the status of your wife until she could get in touch with the ship later.

i'm wondering about the hubby though. my hubby would have done the same thing given the age of the kids and a relative on board to care for them. his wife could have been hurt or jailed or anything. he at least got the documents so that they could fly and have identification and money, so it was easier for them to handle their land business than it probably would have been. i know he was mad but imagine not knowing the status of your wife until she could get in touch with the ship later.

I doubt any husband would just stay on board and wonder where she was, especially when the kids would not be left alone if he got off. It seems he was quite methodical getting his paperwork together just in case. The puzzling part is where would one start looking ?